AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th September, 2004, 02:09 AM

Best Gaming OS?

Any opinions on what is the best operating system for gaming? I am currently running Win XP Home, and wondering if it's the best. System specs:
Asus K8V SE Delux
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1 gig ram
Radeon 9800 XT 256 meg
Any help is appreciated
Old 17th September, 2004, 02:14 AM
AOA Staff

I run 2k and my kid runs xp , xp is definetly more compatible with old games, performance wise I dont think there is any as long as you have enough ram for xp.
Old 17th September, 2004, 02:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I agree with SurlyJoe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2004, 02:26 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

depends what games you want to play, a lot of the old games would run better on an old machine with windows 95, soundblaster 16 + game port, a voodoo card, a processor like a celeron 433 or a p2 233mhz should do the trick and u dont need too much ram, 32mb of pc66 should do the trick
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2004, 04:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

This recently came up in the IL2 Sturmovik forum. Though I wouldn't touch an OS with the 9X kernel, this comparison shows 98 giving better performance for games than XP, http://www.devhardware.com/index2.ph...ge=0&hide_js=1

Not nearly enough for me to bother with it, or even to run a dual boot again as I did when I first got XP.

The Overclockers.com 3D Mark team seem to be convinced that 2000 will give you a little bit better score than XP, even with as many unnecessary services turned of as possible with XP.

I think the Windows 9X operating systems were bug ridden because of their basic architecture (too much baggage from the past) so I personally feel that 2000 or XP are the right choice.

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken
Old 10th October, 2004, 02:21 AM

yeah its known win98 is slightly faster, WinXP could be just as fast...it just boils down to File System... Fat32 (win 98) works a little faster im assuming due to large file size of the games, and then there NTFS(winxp) a bit more efficient, better security.. i will take the slightly slower ntfs over fat tho
Thermaltake PP-420W
Maxtor 120gb pata
Casedge Diabolic case (Blue)
ancient 17" Viewsonic
Logitech KB+Mx500
Old 10th October, 2004, 03:50 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoLEW
depends what games you want to play, a lot of the old games would run better on an old machine with windows 95, soundblaster 16 + game port, a voodoo card, a processor like a celeron 433 or a p2 233mhz should do the trick and u dont need too much ram, 32mb of pc66 should do the trick
I have had good luck with most kiddie games and emulators I've tried in XP screwing around with the O/S compatability modes, but there are definetly those that wont NT at all

what was the game with the sniper rifle on your head and the six legged dog named max, i would love to get that working..
Old 10th October, 2004, 03:20 PM

That game...

Was it any of these?
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlyjoe
.. what was the game with the sniper rifle on your head and the six legged dog named max, i would love to get that working..
This one (Appropriations 2002!) was particularly good!
What a lark we had! MP was on that was awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Best Gaming OS?-quack3ared.jpg   Best Gaming OS?-alf_lifegened.jpg   Best Gaming OS?-ps2-toasterhead-appropriations.jpg  
Needless to impart,
I want my money back...