AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th October, 2004, 08:09 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

HL2 Official!! November 16th For Hl2!!!

Vivendi/Universal Games has officially announced that Half-Life 2 has gone gold. and will ship world-wide for a November 16th, 2004 release. Here's the press release:

VIVENDI UNIVERSAL GAMES ANNOUNCES PLANS TO LAUNCH THE MOST ANTICIPATED PC ACTION GAME OF 2004
Half-Life® 2 to Ship to Retail Outlets Globally This Holiday Season

LOS ANGELES (October 18, 2004) – Vivendi Universal Games (VU Games) today announced that Half-Life® 2, the sequel to one of the most critically acclaimed PC titles in gaming history, will ship to retail outlets around the world in November. The Company confirmed that Half-Life 2, developed by Valve Software, has gone gold with a planned retail street date of November 16, 2004. The countdown to the highly anticipated retail street date has begun around the world, as VU Games completes plans to ship localized versions of Half-Life 2 simultaneously in English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Traditional and Simplified Chinese, Korean, Thai and Japanese.

“Half-Life 2 has surpassed our expectations in every sense – its high-quality graphics, ground-breaking physics and immersive first-person shooter gameplay set a new standard for PC action games,” said Bruce Hack, CEO of VU Games. “Half-Life 2 will go down as one of the best-selling PC titles, and we are thrilled to deliver this ground-breaking title to the worldwide gaming community this fall.”

Hailed as “...the best game ever made” by PC Gamer, Half-Life 2 earned a top-rated review score of 98, the highest score bestowed by the magazine in more than six years. The game has received numerous accolades for its technical excellence, captivating story and addictive game play, including more than 10 awards and nominations at the 2004 Electronic Entertainment Expo. In addition to being named “Best PC Game” by 1up.com (Ziff Davis) and Gamespy.com, the title also received a “Technological Excellence on PC” award from IGN.com. CNNMoney.com stated that “Half-Life 2 will redefine what gamers expect from their games visually – and the gameplay is a lot of fun as well.”

The global anticipation for Half-Life 2 has reached unprecedented heights, as consumers around the world mark their calendars to buy the game at retail on November 16th. The Half-Life 2 product will include Counter-Strike: Source. VU Games will also release a Half Life 2 Collector’s Edition that will include Half-Life 2 in DVD-ROM format, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, a free limited edition t-shirt, and a Half-Life 2 Prima strategy guide book.

The original Half-Life game was launched in 1998 under VU Games’ Sierra Entertainment publishing label. It earned more than 50 game-of-the-year awards and has been heralded as one of the best PC first-person shooter games of all-time.

About Half-Life® and Half-Life® 2

In 1998, Half-Life revolutionized the game industry with its combination of pounding action and continuous, immersive storytelling. Valve’s debut title was named “Best PC Game Ever” by PC Gamer and launched a franchise with more than eight million retails units sold worldwide. In 2004, Half-Life 2 will take the suspense, challenge and visceral charge of the original to new heights of realism and responsiveness. Half-Life 2 opens the door to a world where the player’s presence affects everything around him, from the physical environments to the behaviors – even the emotions – of both friends and enemies. The player again picks up the crowbar of research scientist, Gordon Freeman, who finds himself on an alien-infested Earth being picked to the bone, its resources depleted and its population dwindling. Freeman is thrust into the unenviable role of rescuing the world from the wrong he unleashed back at Black Mesa. And a lot of people – people he cares about – are counting on him. The intense, real-time gameplay of Half-Life 2 is made possible only by Source, Valve’s new proprietary engine technology. Source provides major enhancements in the advanced facial animation system, physics, graphics and AI. Half-Life 2 will be available for the PC.

About Vivendi Universal Games

Headquartered in Los Angeles, VU Games is a leading global developer, publisher and distributor of multi-platform interactive entertainment. Its development studios and publishing labels include Blizzard Entertainment, Sierra Entertainment, Fox Interactive and Massive Entertainment. VU Games’ library of over 700 titles features multi-million unit selling properties such as Warcraft®, StarCraft®, Diablo® and World of Warcraft® from Blizzard Entertainment®; Crash Bandicoot®, Spyro The Dragon™, Empire Earth®, Leisure Suit Larry™, Tribes® and Ground Control®.
Old 18th October, 2004, 08:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I hope this is believable! More on HL2 at: http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=20813 .And at: http://www.gamespot.com/news/pc.html .
Old 18th October, 2004, 09:00 PM

I got it straight from Vivendi, and seeing how they are the publisher, i believe them.
Old 19th October, 2004, 03:17 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Right ON!! I guess I need to change my Christmas wish list over to a new video card now!!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2004, 03:32 AM

no more needs to be said than this:
Attached Thumbnails
Official!! November 16th For Hl2-capture10-5-2004-1.34.12-pm10-17  
Old 19th October, 2004, 03:33 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Aswell as a DVD version, there's a six CD version too.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2004, 06:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Thanks for the news, Cadaveca! Front Page! www.aoaforums.com

Last edited by Gizmo; 19th October, 2004 at 07:56 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 19th October, 2004, 06:42 PM

Been waiting awhile for this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Official!! November 16th For Hl2-old_gordon_waiting.jpe  
Old 19th October, 2004, 06:43 PM
AOA Staff

Oooh! It's so exciting! LOL

Nothing beats a game like this when it's cold and dark outside!
Old 19th October, 2004, 06:43 PM

I'll be posting driver optimizations for the game once November's driver is released. Some big visuals, if you have you have the card for it, and those who don't won't miss out on much either! Compatible with Dx-7 level cards too!

i don't know about dark, but it sure is cold here already! 6 inches of snow cold!

Last edited by cadaveca; 19th October, 2004 at 08:08 PM.
Old 19th October, 2004, 07:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
your welcome for the new. lol.
Oh sure, pick on the senile guy. LOL
Old 19th October, 2004, 08:08 PM

Gotta give ya a nudge when i can...it ain't often!
Old 19th October, 2004, 09:57 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Quote:
no more needs to be said than this:
Damn, you'd think he'd have got contacts this time round.

This is probably the only game I've been looking forward to recently.
Old 19th October, 2004, 10:18 PM

lol you're funny. as much as i'd like to be "on the in", I have a few more rungs to climb yet. But you know that when developer AND publisher say it's ready, it's ready. I recall something in September last year....
Old 20th October, 2004, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod
Damn, you'd think he'd have got contacts this time round.

This is probably the only game I've been looking forward to recently.
He can't have contacts, and still portray the "scientist" image...
Old 21st October, 2004, 04:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
He can't have contacts, and still portray the "scientist" image...

Yes, and the nerds among us need a geek-compatible hero. Not speaking for myself, cough.
Old 22nd October, 2004, 12:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

I like his specs! , id wear them! infact mine look pretty similar!
Old 22nd October, 2004, 09:50 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

He needs a Sam Fisher style specs.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 28th October, 2004, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Aswell as a DVD version, there's a six CD version too.
IS that true? I got an email from gameplay where ive had it on pre order since last june or something saying that it was only going to be available on DVD???
Old 28th October, 2004, 10:20 PM
AOA Staff

Update, from what I've heard, the game HAS to be activated through Steam.

As for a CD version, yes it exists, but I doubt we will see it in the UK.

XBL/PNS = neolad