AOA AOA AOA Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th October, 2004, 07:31 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

New bug in Counter Strike Source

Some of you may be aware of this but, there is a new bug plagueing CS:S servers worldwide.

It's a bug that crashes the server.

It results in an error message regarding 'memory that cannot be read'. So far, this has happened well over 10 times to me today, and without a fix from valve, there is nothingthat can be done.

Basically, any player who's name is '%n' that dies, kills the server too.

This bug has been around for a while, but has only began to be exploited within the last few days.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2004, 06:13 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

They have a format string bug in there? Oooh, I might have to grab a copy of CS:S and see if I can come up with some proof of concept code.

I wonder how other strings such as %x or %s would work?

[edit]Format string bugs are well known, and there are programming techniques to avoid them. In this day and age, there's no excuse for such sloppy programming.[/edit]
Old 20th October, 2004, 10:18 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

it's gone.....updated last night.
Old 20th October, 2004, 11:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Too bad. Aedan seemed real excited to exploit that bug!
Old 20th October, 2004, 11:28 AM

because you can change your name while on the server, there have been alot of issues...like the "%n", as well as script kiddies writing scripts that continuously change thier name...and lag everyone but themselves.
Old 20th October, 2004, 01:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Humans really do have a rough time finding them selfs don't they! When they suffer the impairment of being a scrip kiddie it's almost hopeless...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2004, 02:49 PM

meh...maybe it pushes security...I dunno..
It is a tad annoying to be in the middle of a good game, just to have someone pop on and kill it for everyone. But, because of the sheer number of servers available for CS:S, it's never hard to find another good one.
It seems as though they have not activated the AI in the game, and speculation it's to not "give away" any of the HL2 experience. While i can understand that reasoning, it's been a long time since i have owned a liscense to use the HL2 software, and legally had it on my PC, albeit in parts. The first HL was as innovative of a game as MYST was in it's day; I can hardly wait to try the next one, especially after seeing the physics work, and the visual clarity....no more jaggy curves, no more poorly drawn characters...the game just oozes "Anime" to me...an anime where you get to be the hero.
With these things in mind, these people can do whatever they want....I can always play it later.