AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th March, 2005, 08:11 PM

Will Wright and his new approach to gaming.

Caught this link from another board I subscribe to. This game looks freaking awesome. I hope it's actually released because it sounds like mad fun.

Clickage
Old 24th March, 2005, 09:34 PM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

I want one!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th April, 2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
No 3D modeler created the creature, and no 3D animator was required to make it move around -- it was all created out of a gamer's whim and a computer program smart enough to make it work.
To imply that a computer program takes less time and effort than modelling is a little misleading. To get the creature's look, the game has to have a library of pre-concieved shapes either made by hand or mathematically the way sceners do it. If the models were to be generated using algorithms, coders would have to spend months thinking up code that generates different shapes, defining how they animate and how they react to forces or user interaction. They would also spend even longer optimising the initial code so that it is efficient enough not to take too much time to process.

Now opengl and directx demos have been around for a while, so there will definately be coders out there with past material. The problem with code is that it generates patterns, repeating identical shapes. To get non-repeating shapes would take time and skill. Gaming reporters who don't know enough about a new idea usually blow things out of proportion. I'd expect the game will wright demonstrated to be on the level of Black & White 2. Great but not revolutionary
PC Specs:
It's Black. What more do you need to know?
3DMARK05 SCORE: 6038
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!