AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th February, 2002, 06:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

help, I need help

Here is the wierdest thing. I am running Powerstrip. I enable the program only before I play games. For normal stuff it doesn't run and as such, my vid card is running at defaults. But when Powerstrip is enabled, I have it set to overclock the vid card as well as change my brightness levels to make for better game playing. I do NOT have any of the other Open GL or D3D settings tweaked, they are at default.
When I first enable PS, it will give me that little screen that tells me resolution and clock speed, etc. and then I never see it again.
Well I have noticed that each time I exit a game and it returns to my desktop, I have that Powerstrip screen up as though I had just started the program. It is acting as though the game is overriding the tweak program and shutting it down and then turning it back on when the game is shut down. This is not right, I need the tweaker to override Everything else. Now I realize that most games have their own controls for brightness and resolution, so I can understand the game taking over those settings even though I don't want that to happen but if and when it does this, what happens to my clock settings of the vid card? If it is disabling PS, then wouldn't it return the system to default clock speeds too?
I only play Max Payne, Half-Life, and Quake. Thanks, Mike
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2002, 04:51 PM
Banned

I think I understand your issue. The short answer is that power strip is NOT being closed and the settings are NOT being overridden in any way (is that a word? ). Contrast and brightness can still be changed in the game itself; but powerstrip changes the display settings/defaults that windows uses (through changing display registry settings from my understanding). These are the same settings the game uses, so when you are changing the settings in the game you are really changing the 'changed' powerstrip settings.

I also see the powerstrip display when I exit a game, I don't remember why or where that setting is, but it's common and does not mean it isn't working (I verified this a while ago when I noticed the same thing and was able to determine the settings were still being used).

Last edited by Pinky; 20th February, 2002 at 04:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2002, 07:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

Pinky the man

Thanks Pinky. I understand and that is good enough for me buddy. Mike
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Old 14th March, 2002, 08:32 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

Actually, the reason why it comes up any of those times is because ur card does a refresh, any time your card does a refresh it will come up....I used to use PS and when I play D2, it refreshes all the time when u quit a game, join a game, change players, etc, so Iwould get thatlittle pop-up all the time, that's all that's goin on....ttyl :-D