AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th November, 2006, 11:56 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
Ahh right, i see. I thought you meant also using some sort of filter to make the edges of everything more defined (thus making it imitate HD).

If you do plan on doing this part of the mod though, for them to be classed as HD, they should be at minimum 1280x720 and very detailed. For the 1080p specification, they need to be 1920x1080 and very detailed. Photoshop would be the best program for this, especially for indoor textures (in particular, tiles and tiled floors) that have some sort of depth. I'll see if i can do anything with them.
Maybe we confused each other, but I had no intention of making this playable for HD TV's, HD as in high Definatition, as in increasing the ability to scale the game to higher resolutions without making it look bland due to the blatent oversizing of current textures.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th November, 2006, 12:20 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Ahh right, i see. I thought you meant also using some sort of filter to make the edges of everything more defined (thus making it imitate HD).

If you do plan on doing this part of the mod though, for them to be classed as HD, they should be at minimum 1280x720 and very detailed. For the 1080p specification, they need to be 1920x1080 and very detailed. Photoshop would be the best program for this, especially for indoor textures (in particular, tiles and tiled floors) that have some sort of depth. I'll see if i can do anything with them.
Sorry if I am wrong here, but I thought that textures are usually square shaped, and not rectangular, and usually go up in size by a power of 2?

And photoshop? Damn! I was gonna use Read, Write & Type

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th November, 2006, 12:25 AM
AOA Staff

Pitch is referring to the textures which are a bit like tiled wallpaper, which is rendered on to the surfaces of 3d objects in the game, e.g. a brick wall or wooden floor. Some surfaces wil have unique, non-tiled textures, e.g. a poster on a wall.

You can replace the textures for a game map with some of your own.

Creating textures is a skilled profession in itself. Very time consuming when done to a high standard.

Last edited by danrok; 16th November, 2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 16th November, 2006, 12:29 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
Sorry if I am wrong here, but I thought that textures are usually square shaped, and not rectangular, and usually go up in size by a power of 2?

And photoshop? Damn! I was gonna use Read, Write & Type
They are just images, so yes they must be rectangular. Transparency is supported, for things like wire fences and non-square objects.

Last edited by danrok; 16th November, 2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 18th November, 2006, 11:16 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Aha, is there a standard image format for textures, or does each engine have its own wierd and wonderful way for dealing with them?

And is there any further news on the progression of the mod as a whole? It's interesting!

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 18th November, 2006, 12:01 PM
AOA Staff

When you work on a texture, it is just the same as working on any other image. You can use whatever graphics tools you want.

Once the image is finished, you would save it as say a bit map, and then use a tool to load that image and save it in to the relevant file for the game. All the textures are stored in one big file, for example a .wad file.

Wad files:
http://www.telefragged.com/wally/tut...wad_files.html
Old 18th November, 2006, 12:15 PM
AOA's resident barman

That's some interesting reading danrok! Ty for the link

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 18th November, 2006, 05:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

In FarCry though, they are stored in .pak files. These are just .zip files with a renamed extension which means if you've got XP, you can create them without the need for a seperate tool.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 18th November, 2006, 09:09 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Quote:
In FarCry though, they are stored in .pak files. These are just .zip files with a renamed extension which means if you've got XP, you can create them without the need for a seperate tool.
The textures are MIP'd .dds, with support for an alpha layer. Pretty similer in behaviour to .tga. They are saved individually within the .pak archive.

XBL/PNS = neolad

Last edited by Pitch; 18th November, 2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 18th November, 2006, 10:01 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
.ZIP and .PAK are not quite the same, they're both compressed data archive files, but use different compression methods. So, the data is not in the same format when compressed.

Most modern decompression tools will automatically recogonise the format for you and use the correct algorithms and what not. So, you don't really have to know the difference between one format or the other.

Last edited by danrok; 18th November, 2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 20th November, 2006, 10:50 PM
AOA Staff

Hey I've used tga for sprites when doing 3d in AutoCAD.
in CAD I can use any bmp, png, or jpg for mapping.
But its pretty basic, nothing like games.

I got the realistic mod working finally. Its pretty fun.
I'm not that familiar with the origional because I didn't play it much, but the mods interaction with bounty hunters and some of the sounds are really good.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 13th December, 2006, 02:43 AM

I haven't used it yet, but is it just my sound card or do the sound effects sound like they are on a half second delay in the regular version of the game>?

Ken X2

KNSLI Extreme
4600+ (OC'd 2.7 GHz)
2GB Corsair XMS DDR400 Dual Channel
XFX 7900 GS' in SLI (OC'd 580/749 MHz)
Old 13th December, 2006, 05:09 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I didn't notice any delay on my system....
Old 29th January, 2007, 11:04 PM
AOA Staff

Actually, there is a slight delay that I did my best to eliminate.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 30th January, 2007, 01:23 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

We believe you Pitch! ":O}

I think you have enough of an upgrade going here to be worth an article front page, let folks know what you've been up to. A remarkable increase in the fun and realism of playing Far-cry in my view.

Explain the install like you would to a little child, or me... and I think you'll garner a few fans.

When the unavoidable delay has past...?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 4th February, 2007, 05:21 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Red face

No delay in my case, just that I noticed a little deranged behaviour in some cases Let me show you what I mean:
Attached Thumbnails
Far Cry mod.-farcry-2007-02-04-18-07   Far Cry mod.-farcry-2007-02-04-18-07   Far Cry mod.-farcry-2007-02-04-18-07   Far Cry mod.-farcry-2007-02-04-18-07  
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 4th February, 2007, 05:24 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Strange huh, I was cautios not to get shot and those guys were coming one by one in my line of fire...but the way they died????
Attached Thumbnails
Far Cry mod.-farcry-2007-02-04-18-08   Far Cry mod.-farcry-2007-02-04-18-08   Far Cry mod.-farcry-2007-02-04-18-08  
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 4th February, 2007, 05:44 PM
AOA's resident barman

That's really gonna hurt in the morning

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 4th February, 2007, 06:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"Make it stop, make it stop!"

You see games prepare us for...well...more games.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 4th February, 2007, 06:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, I've had that happen a few times. I dumped an entire belt from an M-60 into one of those big grenade-launcher guys because he never fell down and it took me that long to figure out he was already dead.