AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 7th May, 2006, 05:32 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfare.

So yeah. It's like 5AM.. and well.. I feel like a good rant, so yeah, get comfy and enjoy.

I bought this game the other day because.. well.. to tell you the truth I don't know actually. Starting to wonder what degraded my sense of judgement so much that I though. "Hey.. y'know, this looks fun." - Pfft.. fun.

I've played it for about a good 6 hours.. repeating the same 10 mins of action by the way, but we'll get to that.

Firstly, let's take a look at the graphics.

Wow.. A "next Gen" engine that can't handle AA. Ok.. I had this in Oblivion until ATi fixed it. Playing without AA sucks ass, but to be honest, in Oblivion's case, the HDR was good enough to offset it so I was happy to sacrifice AA.

Unfortunately, in GR:AW, there's isn't really HDR. It's more of a kind of yellow blanket that drapes every single freaking surface. Cool factor -6.

Infact, they don't even refer to it as HDR, they call it Dithering Light. Not quite sure what that means, but my observations lead me to believe that Dithering light is a technique that makes everything yellow. So.. given the choice between AA and the Yellow Revolution, I would definitely choose AA, eh.. but I don't get that choice.. because well.. AA and yellow is a no go. Very very unsexy.

So having made my mind up that I hated the game already, I decided to give it fair chance and play it for a bit and see if there was atleast a redeeming feature hidden behind the curtain of yellow.

I started off got to about the forth mission without too much problem. A few things that bugged me, but nothing worth introducing my forehead to my keyboard about.

Until mission 4. Things took a turn for the worst here.

About 10 mins into the mission, one of my squad members, Kirkland ,starts yelling "Reloading!" once a second.

Now.. I can very much assure you that after 5 mins, this began to get to me and then I just blew up for no reason. Great.. having endured my Squadmember chanting "Reloading!" 300 times, I now just combusted for no reason. So no quick save option, back to beginning of the level we go.

Then it hit me... "Reloading! Reloading! Reloading!"

I can take no more. I mute the game.

Then lo and behold... I explode... again. ARGH!!

This pattern proceeded to occur for about the next 60 minutes until I finally found the gun emplacement that was shelling me. Yayness! time to progress!

Because I was muted, I didn't hear the Objectives updated, so I had to reload to hear them. Chummy is still chanting "Reloading!" once a second, so I shot and killed him. Apparently some Rebel's heard the gun fire and decided to kill me. It was quite a miracle shot actually. Considering he was so far away I couldn't see him. Fun stuff.

Something else that also bugged me. Why are a bunch of terrorists running around wielding G36's and driving about in M1 Abrams Tanks.. These are mexican rebels..? Did I miss something?

And then, on the flip side, there's my 3 Squadmates. The worlds three most vacant people.

I get to choose my Squad's equip. Fair does. Customization is all good. I give them all a Grenade Launcher addition to their Primary weapon. Good for the ol' Entrenched Rebels ya' see. Do they use it...? No.

And moving them. I tell them to advance to across the street.2 get it right, the other guy starts backtracking and taking the most impossibly long route available. He starts going around the outside of the map, so I just sat with my head in my hands as he went about his way. then, he manages to set of some scripted event that shouldn't happen until I finish me current objective which broke it all. Then he starts complaining he's under fire because 4 Dozen Rebels just spawned on him because he triggered some crazy ass fight event. /slap

I havn't hated a game so much since the release of BF2.

So to summarize.

Since just about everything sucks, i'll list what I actually enjoyed about the game.

So, good features.

-Reload animations.

[/rant]

Thanks for reading.

Click me - Enjoy.

XBL/PNS = neolad

Last edited by Pitch; 7th May, 2006 at 05:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2006, 06:44 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

And I thought this would be a great game ! I wish you had an Ageia and told us more about how big it sucks even on Ageia ! Thanks for the review. I saw some pictures about the so called "HDR" and it looks so nasty bright you can't help but think why did they do it???
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2006, 06:29 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Thankfully, I can return it within 7 Days for a refund I'm not satisfied. Yes there's a handling charge, but it's better than nothing.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 7th May, 2006, 07:06 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Playing the game on a Physx card actually makes the game slower because it causes the graphics card to draw more for the Physx card to process, not impressive at all.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 7th May, 2006, 08:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks for saving us the price of addmission Pitch!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 7th May, 2006, 08:57 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got EpOx
Playing the game on a Physx card actually makes the game slower because it causes the graphics card to draw more for the Physx card to process, not impressive at all.
I suspect that Physx support has been added as a rushed after thought with this game. We'll just have to wait and see what develops in better titles where the developers have had plenty of time to get the balance right.

From what I've seen, all they've done is added in some extra flying bits and pieces in the explosions. Which like you say, just puts more work on to the GPU.

In essence the Physx card just puts more processing power in to the box. If that extra power is used carefully the end result will be good.
Old 7th May, 2006, 09:31 PM

I'm presuming that was the PC version the 360 was amazing one of the best games I've ever played, also your squad mates usally do better then you, not to good with taloking cover though.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 7th May, 2006, 09:49 PM
AOA Staff

The 360 version is head ans shoulders above the PC.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 7th May, 2006, 09:56 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

is this one of the first 360 -> PC ports, then?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 7th May, 2006, 10:04 PM
AOA Staff

Yup.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 7th May, 2006, 10:12 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Which would go along way to explain why it sucks, I guess

Have there ever been any really good console ports?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 7th May, 2006, 10:49 PM
AOA Staff

Fable wasn't too bad. As it never really ran too well on the XBox, FPS dived alot.

So the port was quite good in that respect.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 8th May, 2006, 12:20 AM

they sort of rushed the port. the reason they where(mex) were drivving M1A1 was a joint security agreement beetween cannada, US and mexico. they gave them 20 tanks. in one mission you steal 5 back.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 8th May, 2006, 12:27 AM
AOA Staff

Hoe many guns do you have access to in the 360 Version?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 8th May, 2006, 01:09 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
is this one of the first 360 -> PC ports, then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Yup.
Lies, all lies!

heh.

Actually, this game is a seperate game from the 360 game, including a whole new engine. The maps aren't even the same.

Picked this game up myself earlier this week...took a bit to get crossfire working with it, but seeing how the game was released between drivers, to me this is acceptable.

"RELOADING!"

"Just a MINUTE! RELOADING!"

Damn that's painful...have the NPC walk over a gun, and the NPC will stop his chant.

The AI sucks bigtime, if you rush them in...but this is GHOST Recon...meaning you should be like a ghost...not really there. Same goes for your squadmates...especially when even kicking a pop-can can bring the cavalry down on your head.

In regards to the "next-gen-ness" of it...yeah, it kinda sucks...but it IS there. only thing is that it takes about 15 minutes before my pc can actually render it properly...but when it does...i keep catching myself saying "that was cool!"

Ageia functionality is written right into the game, not added on...and the game cannot be played without having the Ageia Phys-x driver installed. I have a card on order...just waiting on it's arrival, at which point I may change my judgement on the game.

However, I really don't think it was worth the $60 i paid for it, but I have not had the chance to have a friend over so we can play the multi-player...

All-in-all...It's just another ghost recon...the game franchise itself has never been spectacularily thrilling, so don't expect this game to knock your socks off...
Old 9th May, 2006, 07:18 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

PLS upload a short movie of whats happening with ageia so that we can see with our own eyes and pls give us the details
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 11th May, 2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
All-in-all...It's just another ghost recon...the game franchise itself has never been spectacularily thrilling, so don't expect this game to knock your socks off...
Actuly I've loved them, the first one was bland but had a nice story, second one was amazing. Hearing that one was comming out for the x360 was partly the reason I purchased one.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 22nd May, 2006, 12:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

This game looked good on the tv advert, with all the special effects. It is an ubisoft title though which explains it all, they did make rayman. Glad i know this game is to be avoided.

Also loving this but what the hell is it about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
ya-ta-ta barivick ... or something like that...

Ghst Recn:Advanced warfighter

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)