AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th October, 2006, 04:55 PM
AOA Staff

Post AOA's Video game console museum

We are building a new exhibit here at AOA - a video game console museum. Work is already underway, so take a look and feel free to comment and make suggestions on future content. Perhaps you have some suitable photos or scans of game console artwork, which you might like to offer for inclusion.

Link:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1284/2/
Old 11th October, 2006, 05:16 PM
AOA Staff

Does anyone have any of the old handhelds?

Like these:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/c...w/1279/32/1/2/
Old 11th October, 2006, 05:35 PM

I have a Donkey Kong! Whats their value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th October, 2006, 05:48 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
I have a Donkey Kong! Whats their value?
Depends on the condition and whether it is complete with box, etc.

Mint condition and complete would be worth £40 tops.

Not really old enough yet, to be worth a great deal.

Also, the Donkey Kong one was extremely popular and millions were made. So, it won't be worth as much as crap game which hardly anyone bought.

Last edited by danrok; 11th October, 2006 at 05:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th October, 2006, 06:02 PM

Oh, well. I have one, stashed somewhere in my parents closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 11th October, 2006, 06:07 PM
AOA Staff

If its boxed and in mint condition, you would be better off keeping it. The value is likely to increase in time.
Old 11th October, 2006, 06:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Man, I just gave away a coleco vision still in the box. I even had the Atari adapter....
Old 11th October, 2006, 06:21 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Atari 2600
Quote:
Theprocessor was a MOS 6507.
missing space there

Apart from that it's looking really good! Nice work

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 11th October, 2006, 07:13 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Megadrive/Genesis updates/corrections:
68000 is a 32bit processor with a 16bit external data bus.

PAL and NTSC models run at different speeds - 7.61 MHz for PAL, 7.67 MHz for NTSC.

Z80 is the second processor, and handled the sound when in Megadrive/Genesis mode. When the Master System adapter (I forget it's name) was added to the system, the 68000 was halted, and the Z80 became the main processor in the system.

The sound generation was provided by two sound systems. Yamaha's YM2612 provided the FM sounds (use the same techniques as the AdLib soundcard), and the SN76489 provided basic three channel tones plus white noise. The SN76489 was also used in the Master System, and was probably used to ensure compatibility with Master System games.

The game verification code (and boot ROM to support it) only appeared on later models (for example, I personally have an overclocked model without the verification code)

The modem accessory was also used for online banking.
Old 11th October, 2006, 07:35 PM
AOA Staff

Updated, thanks!
Old 11th October, 2006, 07:55 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Oh, and system memory was 64K in size, with a seperate 4K (or was it 2K?) for the Z80 processor.

The CD-ROM games required the MegaCD/SegaCD add on, which was another 68000 based system. Both 68000 processors worked in tandem to provide game play. There was no copy protection on the CD-ROMs, as no CD burners were available. There is region protection however!
Old 11th October, 2006, 08:41 PM
AOA Staff

Sorted!

Apparently, secondary RAM was 8K.
Old 12th October, 2006, 04:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

i used to have an intellivision, it was a good console. i wish i knew what happened to it. it was a cartridge console, with 2 paddles similar to phones. they had 9 or 12 buttons that were covered by a plastic overlay for each game, had 4 buttons on 2 of the sides, 2 each. and a silvery dial near the bottom below the number pad.

oh, and there were star trek games for each of those consoles in the museum.

Last edited by captaincurran; 12th October, 2006 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12th October, 2006, 08:31 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

I had a GX4000, could still be around somewhere, piece of junk it was.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 12th October, 2006, 11:31 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Ohh, I remembered my Spectrum ZX Amazing ! I had IC TV in 1982 if I remember right and I could play those little games

LOAD ""

Hahahaha which Spectrum owner would ever forget that command

Bards Tale
BombJack
Bruce Lee
Dizzy1,2,3,4...
Saboteur
Richie Rich
Chuckie Egg
Elite
Great Escape
Green Beret
and many many more who's names I forgot...

"By far the most famous and successful of his many products, the ZX Spectrum earned Clive Sinclair a fortune, a knighthood for "services to British industry" and a lasting place in the national consciousness. Huge numbers of Spectrums were sold around the world, making it by some way the most successful British computer ever made. Sinclair's standing rose so high that in 1983 Margaret Thatcher personally presented a Spectrum to the Japanese Prime Minister as a symbol of British technological prowess (although this turned out to be more of a symbol of Thatcherite hubris).

The Spectrum was the longest-lived Sinclair product, eventually appearing in seven distinct versions produced over a six-year period:
the original Spectrum 16K and 48K with the infamous rubber keyboards (1982)
the Spectrum+ (1984)

the Spectrum 128 (1985)

the Spectrum +2/+2A (1987, 1988)

the Spectrum +3 (1988)

The latter three machines were produced by Amstrad following its 1986 buy-out of Sinclair's computer business. As well as all of these different product versions, no less than thirteen different versions of the basic hardware appeared during the six years that the Spectrum was produced. See the Spectrum 48K Versions and Spectrum 128K Versions pages for more details.

The Spectrum continued to sell into the early 1990s, but by about 1992 it had been squeezed out by the more advanced 16-bit computers and the cheap but more capable Sega and Nintendo games consoles.

A licensed clone of the ZX Spectrum, the TS 2068, was launched in the United States by Timex in late 1983 (see the Timex/Sinclair page). However, the machine's simplicity meant that it was easy to copy and many illegal clones were produced elsewhere in the world. Spectrum clones were produced in many Eastern European and developing countries, including the USSR, Czechoslovakia, Romania, Hong Kong, Argentina and Brazil (see the Clones page). Even today, cheap variants of the Spectrum continue to be produced in Russia.

The simple architecture of the Spectrum also makes it easy to emulate on modern computers. Spectrum emulators can be found on almost any modern computer and several palmtop devices, and many thousands of Spectrum programs have been converted to emulator formats.

Obtaining a real Spectrum is easy. There are still large numbers in circulation - the standard second-hand prices are between around £20-£40. On the Internet, the best place to find second-hand Spectrums is the auction website eBay. The rarest versions are the 16K Spectrum and the Spectrum 128."
Attached Images

I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 12th October, 2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12th October, 2006, 12:13 PM
Breakout Champion

Some of my fondest memories of playing games are from my old Commodore 64. Even while other guys where busy playing stuff on their Nintendo's, i was busy playing Bards Tale 1 and 2 on the good old Commodore. I had two of the hard drives, a tape drive and several other accessories for that thing......it was a great little machine for its time, and it had TONS of games!!!
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Old 12th October, 2006, 06:59 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
Ohh, I remembered my Spectrum ZX Amazing ! I had IC TV in 1982 if I remember right and I could play those little games
The Spectrum is there in the computer museum:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/c...ew/324/30/1/8/
Old 14th October, 2006, 10:23 PM
AOA Staff

Have added more consoles including current generation, PS3, Wii, etc.
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/c.../view/1279/32/
Old 15th October, 2006, 04:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

you're missing 3 generations of Nintendo Consoles. Virtual Boy, N64, and the Gamecube