AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th January, 2007, 09:17 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Gabe Newell: "The PS3 is a total disaster"

http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1731/2/

"The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels. I think it’s really clear that Sony lost track of what customers wanted and what developers wanted. I’d say, even at this late date, they should cancel it and do a “do over.” Just say, “This was a horrible disaster and we’re sorry and we’re going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it.” The happy story is the Wii. I’m betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I’m crazy. I really like everything that Nintendo is doing."

What are your thoughts?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2007, 11:08 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'm trying to remember what games Mr Newell has written for any Sony console to be in a position to say that?
Old 24th January, 2007, 12:43 PM
AOA Staff

John Carmack says that the PS3 is a bit of a pain for developers, but that they will just bite the bullet and get on with it.
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1659/2/
Old 24th January, 2007, 12:48 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
I'm trying to remember what games Mr Newell has written for any Sony console to be in a position to say that?
I believe HL and the original counter strike where ported to the PS2? And valve would be silly not to consider coding for the consoles.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2007, 12:56 PM
AOA Staff

Valve develops on Windows.

I think Newall has been spending too much time drinking with MS executives!

I bet writing games for Vista is a real pain right now, but he hasn't suggested MS throws it in the bin.
Old 24th January, 2007, 03:10 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
I believe HL and the original counter strike where ported to the PS2? And valve would be silly not to consider coding for the consoles.
Yes, HL was definately ported to the PS2, but it wasn't Valve who ported it. It was a company called Gearbox Software. The first title that Valve's written for any Sony console will be HL2.

Yes, it's different to a PC. It's very different to a system with multiple cores, like a multi-core PC or the XBox 360. But then again, so was the PS2. Sony's dev kits have not generally been as friendly as Microsoft's. That's not a surprise given that Microsoft have been producing development environments for DOS/Windows for a long time.

Last edited by Áedán; 24th January, 2007 at 03:13 PM.