AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th February, 2007, 02:25 AM
AOA Staff

Gaming news round-up

Read it on the front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1911/1/

Comments?
Old 8th February, 2007, 06:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

hmmm...The Blizzard link isn't working for me.
Old 8th February, 2007, 09:21 AM
Member/Contributer

The pc will never kill off the console. We've had arcade level 3D graphics on pc's now for about 10 years and the console is stronger than ever.

The Wii has demonstrated boyond anything else that while sony and ms are trying to make their consoles more complicated and 'pc' like, what consumers really want is simple, fun and cheap.

If anything it's pc gaming thats more in danger. Spending the price of a console on a video card alone only appeals to a niche.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2007, 09:07 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBread
hmmm...The Blizzard link isn't working for me.
Have switched the link to a more reliable website.

Last edited by danrok; 8th February, 2007 at 11:41 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2007, 11:39 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

Games for Windows sounds like a good idea, especially for those that aren't as technologically savvy as the majority of us (exclusions being Favu and ChrisBard )

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 9th February, 2007, 07:53 PM
AOA Staff

I just can't stomach buying a console for $250+ when all it does is play games. The PC is so flexible that you can do anything with it. I know consumers mostly want to play games and browse the internet, but I love making websites, artwork, editing photos, playing mods, recording audio, drafting, browsing internet, and building computers. The only way I would buy a console is if PC's didn't play games.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 9th February, 2007, 08:50 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman
I just can't stomach buying a console for $250+ when all it does is play games. The PC is so flexible that you can do anything with it. I know consumers mostly want to play games and browse the internet, but I love making websites, artwork, editing photos, playing mods, recording audio, drafting, browsing internet, and building computers. The only way I would buy a console is if PC's didn't play games.
They don't just play games though, even the wii has web browsing.

You don't need a gaming level pc to do all the other things pc's can do either. It's much less expensive to buy a fairly well equipped general use pc and a games console than a pc capable of gaming.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th February, 2007, 10:12 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
They don't just play games though, even the wii has web browsing.

You don't need a gaming level pc to do all the other things pc's can do either. It's much less expensive to buy a fairly well equipped general use pc and a games console than a pc capable of gaming.
Depends exactly what is meant by editing photos, artwork, audio editing.

Producing digital media to a high standard can bring a high spec PC to a crawl, for example digital artwork for professional printing at poster sizes.
Old 9th February, 2007, 10:44 PM
Member/Contributer

None of those need a top end video card though.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th February, 2007, 12:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

PC Gaming will never die. It's those mid-winter blues that everyone seems to be getting due to the complete lack of any decent PC games. When was the last decent game released for PC?

Even due to this missing piece, the PC gaming community seems to be huddling together with excitment of what to expect in the next few months. Within a few weeks, we'll see the market completely clogged with new titles that are worth playing.

Personally, i use my PC for anything, from playing games, to producing video and audio, to programming, to image editing. And what can i say, it's not exactly the top-spec rig, but it does what i want it to, when i want it to without too much slowdown. I optimise it's performance as much as i can. Then i improve on that and try to go one better. This is what sets it apart from the other similar spec rigs. I've decided that once i've got 2GB of ram, i'm not upgrading any more components for a few years. I may add a new SATA drive every so often when i fill one up, but that's purely because i still use a lot of the data on the drives.

It's also a good idea if i stop spending every last penny i get on the computer, and start to enjoy other things in life.

I might also add new cooling to the PC, but that's only because it may need it in future.

The PC gaming community will never die. Neither will the console community. It's just that the PC is a more "all around" platform than the console.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 10th February, 2007, 08:58 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro
Games for Windows sounds like a good idea, especially for those that aren't as technologically savvy as the majority of us (exclusions being Favu and ChrisBard )
As in TOP GAMERS/TOP SAVVY around here ! @Torosan
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 12th February, 2007, 04:59 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

I'm just top heavy to be honest lol

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah