AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th March, 2007, 04:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Xbox 360 Elite launched: official details and specs

Written by Daniel
Wednesday, 28 March 2007
Xbox 360 Elite launched: official details and specs
ARS Technica
By Ken Fisher | Published: March 28, 2007 - 08:02AM CT

There have been endless rumors the last week or so of just what the new Xbox 360 Elite would be. Microsoft has formally announced the product, so we can now say with certainty what the Xbox 360 Elite is, and what it isn't. There's also good news on the accessory front....

Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th March, 2007, 04:23 PM
AOA Staff

Photo of the Xbox 360 Elite.
Attached Thumbnails
Xbox 360 Elite launched: official details and specs-console_angle_cont_425x600.jpg  
Old 28th March, 2007, 04:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Look suspiciously like a PlayStation......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th March, 2007, 04:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

but with an aurora of pure evil about it... I guess that will boost sales a bit, pure evil has always been a big draw.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 28th March, 2007, 05:36 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

$180 for the bigger hard drive, yes its a 2.5" drive but you've got to be kidding, its a good thing the xbox supports usb flash discs and alike!
9 months ago i paid somthing like £65 ($130 or less as you get things cheaper!) a piece for my pair of 320gb 7200.10's
Old 28th March, 2007, 06:00 PM
AOA Staff

AFAIK, the Sony PS3 will take any regular HD.
Old 28th March, 2007, 07:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I would imagine the XBox can also, although it probably takes a screw-driver to do.
Old 28th March, 2007, 08:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've noted in the past that quite a few hard core PC gamers also share a marked appreciation of the game stations...Why?

What Does either of theses formats give you that you aren't satisfied with in PC gaming?

Is it the titles? The quality of play or who you play with on line? Somebody write me an article! Or just answer my questions as you find time and inclination":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 28th March, 2007, 08:43 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

I believe it would take alot of effort Gizmo, I dont know if anyone has actually tried, unlike the original xbox which could be hotswapped the 360 auto shuts off on hard drive in / out.

Its a mobile 2.5" sata drive hidden inside the box and connection to the console is a custom m$ connector, not sure about the internals but knowing m$ and how displeased they were with the original mods its probably custom as well.
I have connected up a flash stick before and that works i do wonder if external hard drives would work as well, the 360 comes with two usb 2.0 ports.

Dan, i do a fair bit of pc gaming and thats generally serious sim like games or so.
the x360 for me is just pick up and play no extra settings no hassle it just works and xbox live is great in terms of weekly arcade content and free demo's as well as all the extra media content which being a uk xbox mine is hindered alot compared to a us version which has more downloadable tv content and alike.

Its also much easier to connect upto a big screen, my computer games these days have a hissy fit over which monitor they want to use!

Last edited by keithwalton; 28th March, 2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 28th March, 2007, 08:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

So mostly it's ease of use and convenience for you?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 28th March, 2007, 09:09 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
AFAIK, the Sony PS3 will take any regular HD.
Nope, PS3's use the same mobile 2.5" as the 360's.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 28th March, 2007, 09:29 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Nope, PS3's use the same mobile 2.5" as the 360's.
But, it's just a standard drive. I don't think you have to buy a PS3 specific drive.
Old 28th March, 2007, 09:46 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Oh right yeah, sorry misread you, I thought you meant a 3.5" drive.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 28th March, 2007, 10:10 PM

I am a hardcore pc gamer I love the PC it uterly destroys consoles in the hardware department however there are some games that you just dont see on the pc. I love motor sport and games such as Forza or Gran Torismo are never seen on the PC. I also like games like Final Fantasy and MGS that seem to work better on a console.
4gb OCZ SLI 8500 DDR2 RAM
2x Nvidia 8800GTX
Creative X-Fi Xtream Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 7.1
Enermax 1000W Galaxy PSU
Asus 19" Wide Screen Monitor.
14320 3Dmark06 @ 1440x900
Old 28th March, 2007, 11:01 PM
Member/Contributor

you wont see the new f1 game on anything but the ps3 either

and yes its pretty much all convenience and some extra titles, that and the controller is just nicer than a keyboard
Old 28th March, 2007, 11:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You can get nice controllers for PC games, too.
Old 28th March, 2007, 11:40 PM
AOA Staff

The thing is, console games are designed with their own native controller in mind.
Old 28th March, 2007, 11:41 PM

I think the PC/mouse combo is far better than any controler for one far more buttons 2 I don't get cramp in my thumb and 3 the mouse is super sensitve making head shots real good. As a comparison I played a few games of GoW with a mate and some of his live buddies. Now I have never played GoW before and they had been playing it since release online like a religion. I went on their and owned them all bang headshot bang headshot bit of chainsaw here etc etc. Looks like all the CSS paid off lol. cant wait to see the 360 crowd play with the PC crowd not sure how that will work as the PC lot will benifit with faster FPS, better draw distances and not to mention far better accuacy
4gb OCZ SLI 8500 DDR2 RAM
2x Nvidia 8800GTX
Creative X-Fi Xtream Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 7.1
Enermax 1000W Galaxy PSU
Asus 19" Wide Screen Monitor.
14320 3Dmark06 @ 1440x900
Old 29th March, 2007, 06:20 PM

mouse/keyboard is better for shooting games, but then controlers are better for driving and just having mates around for druken gaming.

its all preference, lets not forget you can get a controller for pc games and you can plug a mouse into an 360 and presuable a ps3
Old 29th March, 2007, 07:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
You can get nice controllers for PC games, too.
As a BIG joystick fan I can tell you joy support has gone to hell in 1st person shooters. Limited function at best! I have several controllers I loved when they were supported....
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur