AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th June, 2007, 01:03 PM
AOA Staff

Church of England threatens Sony over "Resistance: Fall of Man"

From the front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/2615/1/

Comments?
Old 9th June, 2007, 03:22 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Well, really it serves Sony right for not asking permisson I think.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th June, 2007, 04:21 PM

It is a shame that we are in this nation where people think they can exert this kind of power.
Withdraw the game? Sue? Oh for Gods sake! Pun definately intended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th June, 2007, 04:27 PM
AOA Staff

To use a photo of a person, or certain buildings, e.g. London Eye, Wembley Arena. You need to have a signed model release form.

I don't think this applies to illustrations, 3d models, etc. That would explain why Sony never sought permission - allegedly.

Last edited by danrok; 9th June, 2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10th June, 2007, 03:02 PM
AOA Staff

More on this here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6738309.stm
Old 10th June, 2007, 03:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"One Church source told me: "If this computer game had been set in a Mosque, you can be sure there would have been more of a public outcry."

He says that like it a good thing! I think an unemotional examination of everyone's LEGAL rights is the only thing to do. What need is there of "Public outcry? Are they sacrificing children on the real alter? I don't think so.

There is a limit to what ANY religion can ask those who do not share their beliefs to do in observance of those beliefs. This is a matter for the lawyers, not the religious.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 10th June, 2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11th June, 2007, 09:30 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Might have been a bit better if Sony hadn't decided to build a replica. I'm sure that Sony have enough creativity to build their own models, rather than having to base it on a real place.

Manchester has been suffering from an increase in gun crime, to the level of about 226 incidents a month. That makes it the UK's hotspot for gun crime. I would put it that Sony are irresponsible.
Old 11th June, 2007, 12:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Would it be more at home had Sony mad a 3D modeling of say the IBM building in Rochester MN? Would it have been ok then for IBM to sue? Or perhaps a McDonald's? I am only trying to make a point. Not at all condoning the church for suing. Suing someone is not biblical. I think that it is ridiculous that a church would sue a company for a building showing up in a game. But would we be more understanding if one of the establishments that I mentioned were doing the suing?
Old 11th June, 2007, 01:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
This is a matter for the lawyers, not the religious.
Actually, I would put it to you that this issue has come up at least partially BECAUSE of the lawyers.
Old 11th June, 2007, 01:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

To take Sam's argument a bit further, let's assume that Sony modeled the entire town of Manchester in the game. Would it be reasonable to sue Sony for that?

What if it were your town, or your place of business, or your home that were modeled in the game? How would you feel then? Particularly if Sony were making money off it?

Last edited by Gizmo; 11th June, 2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11th June, 2007, 04:57 PM
AOA Staff

We better tell all those Hollywood movie directors, no more shootout scenes to be filmed in New York, LA, etc. What's the difference?

Many towns all over the world, have been featured in violent movies. The film makers are usually welcomed with open arms. It's all good for business.

There is a serious gun and knife problem in Manchester, no doubt about that. It's the only place where I have been mugged, almost - managed to give them the slip.

However, the root of all this has nothing to do with Sony or gaming.

To suggest it has is bad in itself, it is just distracting from the real issues. Those who carry weapons, are often drop-outs from broken families, who are unemployable. They rob people because they want the same possesions as those who have good jobs.

By the sound of it, the cathedral model in the game is similar and not identical to the one in Manchester. The artist may well have based his model on it. Surely, most cathedrals of that period are similar in design and layout, anyhow?

I dare say hardly anyone would have even known about this, if they had not drawn attention to it.

The CoE wants money out of Sony. They already have assets and investments running it to many billions of dollars. It is an organisation which is run by the very wealthy people of this country. As usual what they already have, is not enough for them. What's new?
Old 11th June, 2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
We better tell all those Hollywood movie directors, no more shootout scenes to be filmed in New York, LA, etc. What's the difference?
Why not let Sony use Virginia Tech then? What's the difference?

Quote:
Those who carry weapons, are often drop-outs from broken families, who are unemployable. They rob people because they want the same possesions as those who have good jobs.
Or have found that they can't get employment, because the system is stacked against them? Or have found that their gun lifestyle earns them more than sitting in a supermarket checkout, which was the best they could have hoped for?

Last edited by Áedán; 11th June, 2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11th June, 2007, 05:35 PM
AOA Staff

They didn't use Virginia Tech. No-one has that I'm aware of. That's why I listed some places which are used as locations for violent movies or games.

Churches have already been used as locations, many times in the past, and all have been used to host memorials for the dead. Now it has become an issue. The only reason I can see that it is an issue in this instance, is because they feel they have grounds to sue for compensation.

Last edited by danrok; 11th June, 2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12th June, 2007, 01:55 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

They Will! within two years tops, more likely one. It will be a soap opera of bitter loss and grieving moms and angry dads and... well, you can't just drop 60 school kids without someone having a little well meaning fun! Bang Bang!

It is to bad we don't seem to want to take one another's feelings into account, especially when those feelings are not shared. But the very price of diversity is having to tolerate a wide range of things we wouldn't have on the planet let alone in our house... have you seen "American Idol"? I saw excerpts on the freaking news!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 12th June, 2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
They didn't use Virginia Tech. No-one has that I'm aware of.
It was an indie game callled "V-Tech Rampage". The author of it wanted to be paid $2,000 before he would remove it from his website.
Old 12th June, 2007, 09:32 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Some people fear nothing!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 12th June, 2007, 10:32 AM
Steve Jobs

May I add, that its an awesome game. PS3's games to date have been a little on the recycled/naff side, but this one was both original and entertaining.

I'm not up to the blowing away people in the church part yet, but when I do, I'll make sure I don't shoot up any of the furniture, and I promise not to use any grenades. I'll even use the bull's eye to ensure no artifacts are disturbed. Its just the kind of generous bloke I am.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 12th June, 2007, 04:19 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
It was an indie game callled "V-Tech Rampage". The author of it wanted to be paid $2,000 before he would remove it from his website.
It doesn't surprise me.

Given that pretty much anyone can make maps for Counter Strike Source, I wouldn't be surprised if there is also a CS:S map of it somewhere on the net. Few people will know about it, unless the newspapers start giving it attention, and stiring things up.
Old 14th June, 2007, 12:55 PM

I am surprised nobody has mentioned 28 Days Later, or more recently 28 Weeks Later, or Children of Men, where British towns and distinctive landmarks become scenes of bloody horror and violence.

I don't seem to remember the residents of Bexhill crying out about that. I think the Church of England should shut up, and find something more useful to do.
Perhaps turning Canterbury Cathedral into a Paintball Center would be a step forward.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 14th June, 2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
May I add, that its an awesome game. PS3's games to date have been a little on the recycled/naff side, but this one was both original and entertaining.

I'm not up to the blowing away people in the church part yet, but when I do, I'll make sure I don't shoot up any of the furniture, and I promise not to use any grenades. I'll even use the bull's eye to ensure no artifacts are disturbed. Its just the kind of generous bloke I am.
I beleive there are now a fair few of us AOA'ers who now own a PS3. I think an Internet sesh is in order, and it's likely there is at least 1/2 games we all have.
AOA PS3 club. I bet it gets more members than Chris' 8800 club!

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]