AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

View Poll Results: Should you need 1 CD per PC for LAN PLAY?
YES 7 36.84%
NO 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th April, 2002, 08:36 AM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to [PCE]Psycho

Why do games need 1 CD per PC for LAN PLAY :(

Why do you need 1 CD for each PC when you play over a LAN. I can understand for internet play but when i've got 3 comps here and I play with my mates do they expect me to go out and buy 3 copies of a £30 game?? I'm a student (and I like to buy hardware) I can barely afford the £30 for the first copy let alone £90 for all 3 (hey I'm saving for an Atthy XP)

Psycho

1)EPoX 8KHA+ | AMD T-Bird 1.4@1.5 | 768MB DDR RAM | GeForce 3 128MB DDR | SND BLASTER LIVE 5.1 | IBM GXP60 40GB
2)ABIT KT7A-RAID | AMD T-Bird 1GHz | 390MB SDRAM | Geforce 2 32MB | SND BLASTER LIVE 5.1 | 3 * IBM GXP60 40GB + 2 * 120GB WD Caviar
3)PC-CHIPS M810LR | AMD DURON 1GHz | 256 SDRAM | 12GB MAXTOR
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th April, 2002, 09:29 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

While I feel for your wallet, the terms of purchase are clear, one CD per customer. Some games do have some sympathy and after a time release updates which make the CD unnecessary except during installation. But that is their choice.

Ask your friends to bring along their own copy, should be enough that you provide the hardware.

(To those who follow after in posting here,... ANY discussion involving the advocating of piracy or it's methods is grounds for banning as it could easily result in getting AOA shut down.)

But should it be this way? Sorry in this instance I think the development team and distributor ARE being reasonable, after all the software is being used by a group not an individual. Location and set up seem to me to be largely irrelevant to the question.

Think of it this way:
If you went to an amusment park each person in your group would be expected to pay for each ride they take. Hotels charge extra for dubble occupentecy.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 4th April, 2002 at 01:36 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th April, 2002, 09:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I think the games should require "keys", and that you should be able to purchase additional "keys" online at a discount. That's just my $0.02 though . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 4th April, 2002, 09:58 AM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to [PCE]Psycho

I can see it from both ways, however I think that dimmreaper has a valid point there.

1)EPoX 8KHA+ | AMD T-Bird 1.4@1.5 | 768MB DDR RAM | GeForce 3 128MB DDR | SND BLASTER LIVE 5.1 | IBM GXP60 40GB
2)ABIT KT7A-RAID | AMD T-Bird 1GHz | 390MB SDRAM | Geforce 2 32MB | SND BLASTER LIVE 5.1 | 3 * IBM GXP60 40GB + 2 * 120GB WD Caviar
3)PC-CHIPS M810LR | AMD DURON 1GHz | 256 SDRAM | 12GB MAXTOR
Old 4th April, 2002, 10:05 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by [PCE]Psycho
I can see it from both ways, however I think that dimmreaper has a valid point there.
Hey I wish it was that way too! But think it "Reasonable" that it isn't. Now if a company wants to win my love by doing this, well that would probably work for me! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 4th April, 2002, 12:55 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Not all publishers insist on the 1 CD per user on a LAN game. Some publishers will allow 1 CD per 4 users, or 1 CD per 2 users. This is only for multiplayer though, and typically means that the machine with the CD ends up sending some of the data on the CD down the wire.

Remember that games are licensed as per any other piece of software. That license is generally for a single copy on a single machine, just like the OS or other applications.

Requiring the "keys" could cause interesting problems. What happens if I have a key, but corrupt my hard disk? Now I've got a key with no software, which cost me money, but is worthless on it's own. What do I do now? Hope I can find a copy of the game? Ring up the publisher and bug them?

On top of that, how would the retailers respond? Suddenly they're selling 1/4 of the games they were, because everyone's copying the CD and just buying a "key". Why would any retailer stock such games?

AidanII
Old 4th April, 2002, 01:53 PM

Games used to come with multiplayer only clients that you could use for Lan play.

They seemed to disapear once the internet got big.

Allot of games make the CD check invalid with a recent patch (q3 and UT are good examples)

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 4th April, 2002, 05:10 PM
Banned

EULA

End User Licensing Agreement

User being a player.

Software can only be used by one person/user at a time, that's why. if software allows for multiple users on the same cd/opy, then that software publisher is being generous because they don't have to.
Old 12th April, 2002, 05:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I have come to like the licencing program that micrsoft has for our school- any computer can use any software for 1 years licenced for $20 a computer- wish games had that..........
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd April, 2002, 08:45 PM

We ran into an issue last Saturday. Guy could not get Half Life to run to play DoD. Kept saying invalid serial number. Now, they DO allow for duplicate CD keys for LAN gaming. However, we were in a new location, and were not aware that we were ALSO connected to the internet, hence it was checking with their servers and finding a duplicate and kicking him out. He ended up running out and buying Blue Shift.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 24th April, 2002, 02:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I think the games should require "keys", and that you should be able to purchase additional "keys" online at a discount. That's just my $0.02 though . . .
that's a good idea, but the only downside i see to that is somebody coming out with a key generator of sorts and screwing them over...if this post is considered objectional, delete it.
Old 24th April, 2002, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
that's a good idea, but the only downside i see to that is somebody coming out with a key generator of sorts and screwing them over...if this post is considered objectional, delete it.
I'm sure they could do that now anyway. As I understand it, the key is not stored on the CD at all. It just has to follow certain guidelines to work. I've installed off one CD, and used two different keys for it (one of my roommates lost his CD, but still had the case with they key on it). Worked just fine.

However, many times if you just do an exact copy of a CD, it won't install off the burned CD. So basically, buy the CD. If it's too expensive, wait a month or two. The prices always drop. If you can't afford the $50 for a brand new game, be patient.
Old 27th April, 2002, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nullCRC
We ran into an issue last Saturday. Guy could not get Half Life to run to play DoD. Kept saying invalid serial number. Now, they DO allow for duplicate CD keys for LAN gaming. However, we were in a new location, and were not aware that we were ALSO connected to the internet, hence it was checking with their servers and finding a duplicate and kicking him out. He ended up running out and buying Blue Shift.
Thats funney!

Me and my mate discovered that on quake 3 if you just hold down the "a" key when it asks for the cd code it just says valid code and lets oyu play LAN, but if you try a net game it kicks, very strange.

I bought 2 copes of half life brand new (£10 each, a deal). It was cos I had a lot of family wanting to play but they couldnt be bothered to buy copies.
I've no problem with making people buy a copie but I do have a problem with prices. £30 quid for a game, you must be joking??

£20 I will pay for a good game, £10 if I just need another copy for the cd code, but anymore than that and I think they deserve a good pirating.

The instance of buying loads of copies of half life wasnt even for the game, it was just so that I could have online games with my family so Valve and Sierra only really deserve a small amount of money for making the engine.
Old 28th April, 2002, 01:22 PM

Prices are indeed outrageous. Go look a copy of the Sims. THE SIMS, FOR PETE'S SAKE!! At all my area retailers, it's about $50. And it came out when?! Yeah, that's what I thought.

The problem is, these people jacked up the prices in response to pirating. Problem is, jacking up the prices lead to more pirating. I think they need to drop the prices after 6 months, and then again after a year. No reason to have a game cost $50 for two years. Most people aren't even playing a game one year after it's release.
Old 29th April, 2002, 04:46 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

I'm sure they could do that now anyway. As I understand it, the key is not stored on the CD at all. It just has to follow certain guidelines to work. I've installed off one CD, and used two different keys for it (one of my roommates lost his CD, but still had the case with they key on it). Worked just fine.

However, many times if you just do an exact copy of a CD, it won't install off the burned CD. So basically, buy the CD. If it's too expensive, wait a month or two. The prices always drop. If you can't afford the $50 for a brand new game, be patient.
Half Life has been at $30 for over a year now.
Kinda blows your theory. But I see what your saying.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 29th April, 2002, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
Half Life has been at $30 for over a year now.
Kinda blows your theory. But I see what your saying.

Rob
Yeah, I'm not saying EVERY game does it, but a large majority of them do. I mean, THE SIMS, for pete's sake! Still at $50!! If The Sims is still that expensive, what hope have we for any other games?
Old 30th April, 2002, 01:20 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

out here it's also been around $30, but that might be for the expansion packs.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 30th April, 2002, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
out here it's also been around $30, but that might be for the expansion packs.

Rob
The actual game "The Sims" is about $50. But pretty much all the expansions are about $30. Still with, what, 5 expansions? That's kinda expensive.
Old 5th May, 2002, 05:25 AM

Let me re-phrase.

There are some software that can do wonders. If you are interested, take a look at Virtual CD and Virtual Drive .

Last edited by krazyman; 5th May, 2002 at 09:14 AM.
Old 5th May, 2002, 08:21 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

umm...krazyman, I'd seriously consider editing your post. What you are talking about, I would imagine violates most EULA's, if not all of them.
But, I'm just taking a stab in the dark here.

A good rule of thumb, if you aren't sure if it will harm the forum, err on the side of caution and keep us all online here
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!