AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd September, 2001, 08:43 AM
Banned

Chicken or the Egg?

Cool, I spend little or no time playing games anymore but I get to put this one into full swing.

I guess what I really want to know is:

Is it the chicken or the egg that came first?

Did games force the development of better video card technology or was it technology that forced developers to make better games to utilize it?

After thoughts: Is it the promise of new games that drives us to buy $300+ video cards, or is it the promise of better technology that pushes game developers to make better games in the first place that require more from the video cards? Is all of this evolution of the technology or science interfering? I mean, really, there aren't any games that use the GF3 or Radeon 8500 new graphics features and we're still buying them!?
Old 23rd September, 2001, 12:55 PM

Chicken came before the egg (end of dicussion )
Old 23rd September, 2001, 02:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Chicken came before the egg (end of dicussion )
lol
XP 1800+
[color]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd September, 2001, 02:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

Actually it was the egg that came first.
What would have happened is that a species of bird genetically similar to a chicken but not enough to be classed as a chicken would have laid an egg with an offspring with sufficient genetic mutations to be classed as a chicken was in, this new species that is now genetically similar enough to a chicken to be called one would have had something about it that gave it a better chance of reproducing and spreading it's own dna than the old species it evolved from and then became the dominant species of it's type, and so you had the chicken

unless of course aliens abducted a bird, genetically recoeded it to be a chicken and so the chicken came first.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd September, 2001, 03:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil
Actually it was the egg that came first.
What would have happened is that a species of bird genetically similar to a chicken but not enough to be classed as a chicken would have laid an egg with an offspring with sufficient genetic mutations to be classed as a chicken was in, this new species that is now genetically similar enough to a chicken to be called one would have had something about it that gave it a better chance of reproducing and spreading it's own dna than the old species it evolved from and then became the dominant species of it's type, and so you had the chicken

unless of course aliens abducted a bird, genetically recoeded it to be a chicken and so the chicken came first.
ok
that still leaves us with
did the chicken come first of the egg??
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 23rd September, 2001, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by phiber

ok
that still leaves us with
did the chicken come first of the egg??
How about looking at it from a quantum physics point of view, that until it's observed it's both

Old 23rd September, 2001, 04:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

If your an Evolutionist, Phil is spot on.

If your a Creationist, then Phil is screwed, and the Chicken most definately came first (no were in the bible does it say that God created eggs).

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd September, 2001, 04:15 PM

Phil, i bow down to your superior theory.
Old 23rd September, 2001, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
If your an Evolutionist, Phil is spot on.

If your a Creationist, then Phil is screwed, and the Chicken most definately came first (no were in the bible does it say that God created eggs).
What I'm spot on about the alien abduction theory?, the quantum theory of chickens? which?

Old 23rd September, 2001, 05:18 PM
Banned

What about gaming and video cards? I'd think taking me too literally here wouldn't work...

sorry I was trying to drum up some computer related discussion
Old 23rd September, 2001, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
What about gaming and video cards? I'd think taking me too literally here wouldn't work...

sorry I was trying to drum up some computer related discussion
I think video cards created their own demand. Quake ran fine in software mode and loked better than anything the consoles could do (except the n64) but then 3dfx started becoming popular and so patches were made, then the voodoo 2 came out with silly frame rates like 100fps and people got used to it to the point where they wanted a vid card that could do that even with the very latest games.

Old 24th September, 2001, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:

I think video cards created their own demand. Quake ran fine in software mode and loked better than anything the consoles could do (except the n64) but then 3dfx started becoming popular and so patches were made, then the voodoo 2 came out with silly frame rates like 100fps and people got used to it to the point where they wanted a vid card that could do that even with the very latest games.
Good theory. Thanks for taking the time to actually respond. It seems no one else even cares about this. Maybe that's why they're spending (as I did foolishly) $300+ on video cards that don't do anything in current games the $150 can right now.

Last edited by Pinky; 24th September, 2001 at 05:40 PM.
Old 24th September, 2001, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Good theory. Thanks for taking the time to actually respond. It seems no one else even cares about this. Maybe that's why they're spending (as I did foolishly) $300+ on video cards that don't do anything in current games the $150 can right now.
People kid themselfs that their £300 cards that play todays games at like 200fps will be able to last for a couple of years, but they get addicted to stupid and un-needed frame rates so upgrade everytime something faster comes out rather than giving their old card a chance to mature

Old 24th September, 2001, 08:32 PM
Banned

My last post was a direct slam. I hope someone reads it and takes the time to personalize it . I might save someone money!

200fps? where!!!
Old 24th September, 2001, 08:53 PM

Quote:
200fps? where!!!
You must resist!!!!

Old 25th September, 2001, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Maybe that's why they're spending (as I did foolishly) $300+ on video cards that don't do anything in current games the $150 can right now.
Who's spending $300 on a video card? Last time I spent money like that was way way back in the day(Quake2 ruled) with two Voodoo2 cards in SLI. They literally burned up on me because of too much VIO(and when I say "literaly" I mean there was fire). This forced me to "upgraded" to a Voodoo3 3000, think I paid like $189 for it because this was in the per-pricewatch days. Then I upgraded to a Leadtek GeForce256 32MB DDR I bought from a friend for $50. I liked the GeForce but it ran way too hot, and it really taxed my PSUs 5V rail so I "upgraded" to a GeForece2MX 32MB 5.5ns SDR dual-head card($140). I don't think I need anything faster as of yet, maybe when Doom3(DX8 game) comes out I'll go for an ATI card if I can pick one up for under $200. I think the current Nvidia GPUs loose the price/performance war . . . . .

There Pinky I threw in $0.02 that acctually had something to do with graphix cards

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 25th September, 2001 at 02:12 AM.
Old 25th September, 2001, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper

There Pinky I threw in $0.02 that acctually had something to do with graphix cards
lol

thanks for the post. I certainly was not aiming for you, "If it doesn't apply let it fly."
Old 26th September, 2001, 06:50 AM
AOA Staff

the games definitly drive the high end hardware market , why else would anyone pay that much for a vid card , if your just gonna type letters on it, its all about eye candy
Old 26th September, 2001, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
the games definitly drive the high end hardware market , why else would anyone pay that much for a vid card , if your just gonna type letters on it, its all about eye candy
Yeah but games were getting along just fine, maybe slightly above the abilities of cards a couple of years ago, then nvidia went nuts with it's release scheduale and cards are being outdated before games are even using them, gpu's still aren't used properly in all games.

Old 27th September, 2001, 12:08 AM

Quote:

Yeah but games were getting along just fine, maybe slightly above the abilities of cards a couple of years ago, then nvidia went nuts with it's release scheduale and cards are being outdated before games are even using them, gpu's still aren't used properly in all games.
I agree GPU's havn't been fully utilized by games yet. There are so many tweaks that could be impelemented that arn't.

This is a problem with a deeper cause, a problem deeply rooted in society itself. Most men simply don't strive for the efficiency that an overclocker strives for. They are after quick and easy fixes. Overclockers are a bread of efficiencists(yes I know that's not a word, but it is now because I said so ).

AOA Team fah