AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th June, 2002, 04:24 PM

Linux, Dedicated Server, Neverwinter Nights

Sorry, I accidently posted this question twice but I couldnt delete my post under Alternative OS section

Quote from Bioware FAQ

"8.03 Is there a dedicated server? (Back to Top)

There will be a dedicated server included with Neverwinter Nights for all supported platforms. By dedicated server we mean a stand alone application with no extra overhead, like drawing graphics. This standalone server allows you to run the server in it's most efficient manner.
"

I was wondering if you guys had any idea on this:

For all supported platforms, does this mean the "dedicated server" will run in Linux???
Old 14th June, 2002, 10:13 PM

Re: Linux, Dedicated Server, Neverwinter Nights

Quote:
Originally posted by JayJay
For all supported platforms, does this mean the "dedicated server" will run in Linux???
Is Linux listed as a "supported platform" for NWN?
Old 15th June, 2002, 04:55 AM

I found this in the net:

"Bioware announced today that their much-anticipated multiplayer RPG Neverwinter Nights has gone gold and will ship to retailers before the end of June.

Unfortunately, the press release also states that despite promises to the contrary, there will not be a Linux version included in the retail package. Instead, a Linux server will be made available for download "at launch" and a Linux client will follow "shortly afterward".

If "simultaneous PC/Macintosh/Linux release for Neverwinter Nights, with all three versions to be included in a single box" translates to "Linux version when we can get to it", I wonder what "shortly" means? " from http://happypenguin.org/

I guess it will run as a dedicated server only in Linux for now.
Old 15th June, 2002, 10:10 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I may be reading this wrong but...

"Dedicated server for all platforms" and "Linux server available on launch" sounds like "Windows, Mac and Linux servers are either shipped or downloadable." If that's the case, then a dedicated server for each of the three platforms will be available.

AidanII