AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th October, 2001, 03:38 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Microsoft Train Simulator...patches?

I'm a train nut, so I bought Microsoft Train Simulator. The game needs patches. Has MS made any, yet?
Old 20th October, 2001, 03:43 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Doesn't look good man:

http://tss.ogresnet.com/dpatches.shtml

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2001, 03:47 AM
Systems Administrator

An update here allows you to create new trains and stuff:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/trainsim/

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2001, 06:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

It"s an ms product, what can you expect? Seriously though, is it that good a game? i was thinking of going out and buying it myself.
Old 20th October, 2001, 07:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nix

Is it like on of the sim games or what?

Webmaster Tools Apps and Templates | eBook A Week - Free eBooks For Life!

"When the doors of perception are cleansed, things will appear as they truly are... Infinite"
William Blake
Old 21st October, 2001, 04:42 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks for the links, Superman53142!
The game isn't a Sim style game. It's a crude version of MS's Flight simulator. Where about 15% of the work that went into the recent versions of Flight Simulator went into Train Simulator.
Unfortunately, MS is dishonest with the wows! about the game found on the box. There is not 600 miles of track. Many of the routes end unexpectedly, long before they're supposed to. At least one of the routes is impossible to start because there is no place for the train to go!

The problem that really bugs me is that places along the routes that are selectable as starting points don't exist on the maps. Not to mention that stations that you pass through are NOT marked, and can't be ID'd. Therefore, knowing where you are along the route is impossible. Thanks Uncle Bill!

As I posted, the game needs patches. Badly! It looks like MS didn't expect the game to sell very well. Therefore, the "development team" probably consists of one person by now.

Add-on routes are available from a third party outfit named "Roundhouse." They're a nice change of pace, but one I started this AM began with the train nine feet deep in water!

If you're a train freak, the game is certainly worth ~$25. You are the engineer, and the simulation is believeable. AFAIK, every preceeding train sim type game has been L A M E. An older one is more realistic at presenting the difficulty of running a train(it's harder than you might think) but its graphic presentation is way below dismal.

As MS hasn't published any patches, it looks like they never will. As I said, the game is certainly worth ~$25. If MS was still working on the game, it would be worth a lot more.
Old 22nd October, 2001, 02:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

well, maybe I won't get i then.
Old 22nd October, 2001, 02:53 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
well, maybe I won't get i then.
LOL, can't be pursuaded, eh. I have Railroad Tycoon 2, and am very pleased with it.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 11th March, 2002, 04:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to FerrariF50 Send a message via AIM to FerrariF50 Send a message via Yahoo to FerrariF50

I have the the MS Train Sim.. I just can't find where the Cd's are... I wish they put them in a "Real" case and not that stupid book type kind...plus i had to uninstall it because i was running low on space...

------------------------------------------------
:My System:

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Hitachi Gd-2500 dvd-rom drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Yamaha YST-MS201 speakers
Intel PII450Mhz <-------Server computer