AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   GAMES! OH YEAH! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/33-games-oh-yeah/)
-   -   "15 million gamers around the world play video games from the MMORPG genre." (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/games-oh-yeah/40711-15-million-gamers-around-world-play.html)

Daniel ~ 16th March, 2007 06:36 PM

"15 million gamers around the world play video games from the MMORPG genre."

Written by Daniel
Friday, 16 March 2007
Nick Yee: Uncovering the Truth Behind Video Gamer Habits
Michael Hoffman (Blog) - March 15, 2007 4:47 PM
DailyTech

Nick Yee's serious approach to understanding gaming may have deep seeded results in behavioral research
When it comes to understanding video gamers and their environments, Nick Yee wrote the book....
Front Page

captaincurran 16th March, 2007 09:11 PM

i thought that the number would be higher, being as WoW players have hit the billions, didn't we? or are we our own genre now?

Pitch 16th March, 2007 09:39 PM

Wow is ~10Mill I think.

skool h8r 16th March, 2007 10:29 PM

MMORPG: For people that can't handle real life. :rolling: ;)
FPS: For people that was to join the armed forces but without the blood.
RTS: For bossy people
Driving: Vroom vroom, look at me!

Something i have noticed is that people who play MMORPG's also tend to play RTS as well (Type A) whereas people who play FPS also tend to play Driving games (Type B).

Type A people tend to be leaders whereas Type B tend to be more submissive. This, to me is down to the way you can move around more in MMORPG's and RTS, rather than the "closed screen" view that you get with driving games and FPS.

But, anyway...

Pitch 16th March, 2007 10:32 PM

Type Pitch plays all.

aghastpumpkin 16th March, 2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skool h8r
MMORPG: For people that can't handle real life. :rolling: ;)
FPS: For people that was to join the armed forces but without the blood.
RTS: For bossy people
Driving: Vroom vroom, look at me!

Something i have noticed is that people who play MMORPG's also tend to play RTS as well (Type A) whereas people who play FPS also tend to play Driving games (Type B).

Type A people tend to be leaders whereas Type B tend to be more submissive. This, to me is down to the way you can move around more in MMORPG's and RTS, rather than the "closed screen" view that you get with driving games and FPS.

But, anyway...

Ok.

GrahamGarside 16th March, 2007 10:49 PM

I doubt there have been billions of users on wow, the future of human breeding is in serious trouble if there is :)

skool h8r 16th March, 2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
I doubt there have been billions of users on wow, the future of human breeding is in serious trouble if there is :)

We know they are anyway. I mean, look how screwed up the current generation is :rolling: ;)

dsio 17th March, 2007 11:11 AM

Just wait, google will buy a game studio, dump some dosh in it, develop a leaner, cleaner, cross platform, web dependent MMORPG, with google adsense paying for it all, use an invite only system for players to build up a hype level beyond belief among nerds and jocks alike, and then make WoW obsolete by comparison.

That's after they bring linux to the people, end poverty, stop global warming, and get the leg hems on my suit trousers just right so that they cleanly sit at the top of my shoes as I walk, but don't show even the slightest hint of sock when I'm in a sitting position.

GrahamGarside 17th March, 2007 11:30 AM

May have already begun, I'm pretty sure I saw an ogre on google earth the otherday, but I was looking over Brisbane :)

skool h8r 17th March, 2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
May have already begun, I'm pretty sure I saw an ogre on google earth the otherday, but I was looking over Brisbane :)

Point and match! :rolling:

dsio 17th March, 2007 01:43 PM

Night Elf, not ogre.

Level 70 shadow priest.

Daniel ~ 17th March, 2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skool h8r
We know they are anyway. I mean, look how screwed up the current generation is :rolling: ;)

You needn't be screwed up. When I was born there were about 2 billion people in the world, now, without my having had a single child, there are close to seven billion people.

How many will there be when todays child turns 50?
When I was 20, fifty sounded like someone else's problem. Now that I am almost 60, I am someone else's problem just by sitting here.

Nothing I do in life will be as significant as not having children. There was nothing I could do to give your children a better chance at the life I've had.

GrahamGarside 17th March, 2007 03:50 PM

So you're saying WOW is a massive conspiracy to curbtail the population?

Daniel ~ 17th March, 2007 04:01 PM

No, only to keep track of breeding pairs.":O}

raphael2040 17th March, 2007 04:11 PM

WoW hit 8million a while ago, or something.

And (good) FPS players are far more skilled than MMORPG players.

I don't particularly like driving games, Skool H8r, but I enjoy most other genres.

FPS players are t3h pwns.

GrahamGarside 17th March, 2007 04:20 PM

I always end up in a debate with my friend who plays mmo's about the need for skill.

Basically he goes on about the skill needed to time spells and stuff which I always say fair enough you need to keep a level head but it doesn't take the same sort of skill as an fps where you need hand to eye co-ordination and quick reflexes. We usually bicker on for an hour or so and then concede that we would each school the other in our chosen field.