AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   GAMES! OH YEAH! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/33-games-oh-yeah/)
-   -   Blind gamer sues Sony (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/games-oh-yeah/48174-blind-gamer-sues-sony.html)

danrok 9th November, 2009 01:11 PM

Blind gamer sues Sony

See front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/g...sues-sony.html

Comments?

chrisbard 9th November, 2009 02:09 PM

use windows dude !!! :rolling:

danrok 9th November, 2009 02:48 PM

How would that help?

Daniel ~ 9th November, 2009 07:50 PM

Hope he wins his case...life is long and takes many an unexpected turn... never know when I might just need the things he hopes to gain...

chrisbard 9th November, 2009 08:49 PM

If he wins next he'll sue GM or Ford - Mustang for not making the cars safe enough to be driven by the visually impared ! :eek:

danrok 9th November, 2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard (Post 500060)
If he wins next he'll sue GM or Ford - Mustang for not making the cars safe enough to be driven by the visually impared ! :eek:

Grey Means Go

:cool:

chrisbard 9th November, 2009 09:49 PM

Crash, Boom, Bang ! :rolling:

Daniel ~ 9th November, 2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard (Post 500060)

As blind as you are...I'd be rooting for him to win! "There are none so blind as they who WILL not see." Or... "When you see your brother struggling help him with his load and don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the Road." ":O}
(Bob Dylan)

candle_86 11th November, 2009 04:43 AM

so next he sues the DMV for not giving him a license, or sues the FAA for not giving him wings?

Daniel ~ 11th November, 2009 06:08 AM

Why not help some one get what they need and worry about "So next" After we've done the good thing we can do today....

So next you'll tell me your eyes are forever blessed and you have a guarantee of 20/20 vision for life? That this is true for those you care about as well...?

So next...why not try to see this with an open heart instead of a closed mind...just a suggestion...":O}

chrisbard 11th November, 2009 08:51 AM

Last time I checked games made by sony or any other company were a challenge for normal ppl at visual level in responsiveness and acurracy. Say I am a gamer with good eyesight but I cant coordonate my self and I can't get a kill because I can't aim in the short time that the game allowes one to shot because I have parkinson. Why not make games for those with parkinson btw?

ccperf721p 11th November, 2009 03:39 PM

The article doesn't give enough information to really make an informed opinion. At first glance I felt for the dude, then I read he also filed for financial loss due to not being able to sell his silver battle axe. Then again, I've been having to deal with the effects of our lowest common denominator society quite extensively over the last month so I'm starting to lose my compassion for the human race.

danrok 11th November, 2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard (Post 500127)
Last time I checked games made by sony or any other company were a challenge for normal ppl at visual level in responsiveness and acurracy. Say I am a gamer with good eyesight but I cant coordonate my self and I can't get a kill because I can't aim in the short time that the game allowes one to shot because I have parkinson. Why not make games for those with parkinson btw?

Not all games are based on eye-hand co-ordination, such as Final Fantasy, which is one of the games he mentions that he wants to be able to play.

That's a turn based game, so presumably someone who is partially sighted would be able to play it, so long as things like text are a suitable size and colour.

Microsoft can provide for this in their software, so should be a minor challenge for anyone else!

Daniel ~ 11th November, 2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccperf721p (Post 500143)
The article doesn't give enough information to really make an informed opinion. At first glance I felt for the dude, then I read he also filed for financial loss due to not being able to sell his silver battle axe. Then again, I've been having to deal with the effects of our lowest common denominator society quite extensively over the last month so I'm starting to lose my compassion for the human race.

We are ALL always "starting to lose our compassion" Cliff. This is one of the main reasons that "The spiritual life is ALWAYS in crises."

We all must always struggle to find our selfs in our brothers or we lose our selfs in the things we think we know....

Daniel ~ 11th November, 2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard (Post 500127)

Why are you looking for an excuse Chris? Why are you looking for a reason to turn your back on his situation? Would you be just too unhappy if there was a way for those with Parkinson's to play and the world decided that PS3 should implement it, so that they could??

What is it your afraid of here Chris? Last I checked you don't even have a PS3...So what is it your afraid will happen if the world bends over backwards to help those in need?

Why is it when ever people want to turn their backs on someone else's need they ask questions like "What if" when the person in need is already in a defined situation?

"What if" it was your son who was disable and looking for help, who wanted to play a game and there was a way he could, would you want Sony to make the effort then.... How deep must the knife go to touch your heart... I ask because each of us has a knife that waits for us and it ALWAYS finds us...unprepared...What if when your knife finds you I was there to help...would you take my hand?

Would you give your hand to another? What if we always did? ":O}

ccperf721p 12th November, 2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel ~ (Post 500156)
We are ALL always "starting to lose our compassion" Cliff. This is one of the main reasons that "The spiritual life is ALWAYS in crises."

We all must always struggle to find our selfs in our brothers or we lose our selfs in the things we think we know....

It's a fine line we are walking right now. At what point do we decide to infringe on the freedom of others to cater to a small percentage that wants something. Gaming isn't a needed item, so no need to attach any drama or build up on it. I also believe that any entity, be it private or corporate, should also have the right to say no to anyone's requests or demands. Seems these days most people believe in "Free Speech" as long as they are the one's doing the talking..

I'd like to see the blind man enjoy a video game, but as I said we really don't have any idea what he's asking for. It may be a massive undertaking, or it could be a few lines of code.

I have a similar situation right now. I need an already existing linux app to do something it is not set up to do. The author does not take feature or change requests, but the source code is readily available. I have ordered a couple of books on programming and will learn how to make that app do what I want then throw it back out there, if someone could use it, great, if not they are free to do with it as I did.(what could be called a third party addon). This is my idea of a proper free society. Helping others by learning and striving to do more on your own and for those like you...

P.S. I wanted to fight in the UFC, but it turns out that my Jujitsu is not anywhere near a professionally trained fighters Gracie taught jujitsu.. Some wants are just out of reach. That's how life works, get used to it.

Daniel ~ 12th November, 2009 04:20 AM

I DO understand what you are saying. I see no mean spiritedness in what you are saying. Limitation not only exists for all things, but limitation is THE perquisite for the existence of all things, without it the universe would only dissolve into the boundless.

So the matter at hand hinges upon determining where and far far we should go in the setting of limits, good conduct and compassion depend upon this. My position when seen in this light is simple, we should do all we can to help one another with out injury to the good of the whole.

As you've said the matter at hand is not yet clear...so what I am arguing for is a proper stance before that matter, a correct grounds upon which it can be decided once all the pieces fall into place.

What I have objected to are several posts ( Not yours) that seemed to me to be rather heartless and mean spirited, eager to say no and to justify saying no those in need on the grounds that later they or other might ask for the absurd. ( A blind man wanting a drivers lic. etc.)

My effort then has been to try to awaken compassion in those who put froward such an approach by demonstrating that in the end, we we all need help at one time or another and all that give us the right to accept such help is our willingness to give it.

ccperf721p 13th November, 2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel ~ (Post 500187)
I DO understand what you are saying. I see no mean spiritedness in what you are saying. Limitation not only exists for all things, but limitation is THE perquisite for the existence of all things, without it the universe would only dissolve into the boundless.

So the matter at hand hinges upon determining where and how far we should go in the setting of limits, good conduct and compassion depend upon this. My position when seen in this light is simple, we should do all we can to help one another with out injury to the good of the whole.

As you've said the matter at hand is not yet clear...so what I am arguing for is a proper stance before that matter, a correct grounds upon which it can be decided once all the pieces fall into place.

What I have objected to are several posts ( Not yours) that seemed to me to be rather heartless and mean spirited, eager to say no and to justify saying no those in need on the grounds that later they or others might ask for the absurd. ( A blind man wanting a drivers lic. etc.)

My effort then has been to try to awaken compassion in those who put froward such an approach by demonstrating that in the end, we all need help at one time or another and all that give us the right to accept such help is our willingness to give it.

You are going about it all wrong though. You are trying to use reason and intellect against a guy that uses Windows by choice. Unless you stoop to his level and start using words like "kewl" or ROTFLMAOBBQ you don't have a chance..

Gizmo 13th November, 2009 12:34 AM

Where a reasonable amount of effort can yield additional benefits, why not? Many times, the extra effort can yield benefits far beyond what was originally sought.

Case in point:
A couple years ago, I was in charge of the choir at church. We had one parishoner who was blind but wanted to sing with the choir. Obviously, being blind meant that he couldn't read music, and we didn't have anything available in Braille (truth be told, I don't even know if there IS such a thing, though I would guess there has to be SOMETHING for blind vocalists).

Anyway, even though it was a hassle for me, this guy really wanted to sing with the choir so I found a way: I sat down with our accompanist and recorded a CD for him with the music that we were working on (strictly speaking, this was a violation of copyright laws, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion), with her playing and me singing the parts.

What we discovered, because of my efforts to accommodate that one blind man, was that I had inadvertently created a very useful practice tool for our OTHER choir members as well. They were able to learn their parts much more quickly, and we spent less time at choir practice working on individual parts and more time working on making the choir sound good.

My point is that it is not unusual to discover that the things we do to help the least of us are also of benefit to the rest of us. We just have to be willing to try. And I'll be the first to admit that I frequently don't do as good a job at this as I should.

Daniel ~ 13th November, 2009 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccperf721p (Post 500229)
You are going about it all wrong though. You are trying to use reason and intellect against a guy that uses Windows by choice. Unless you stoop to his level and start using words like "kewl" or ROTFLMAOBBQ you don't have a chance..

Dude that's cold! LOL

"Hope springs eternal" ":O}