AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th October, 2002, 05:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

Excellent news UB, thanks After the uninstall, there was a stragler file that was somehow activating NPtotect. It wasn't showing in th processes. Reinstalled Norton, then uninstalled. Problem fixed 28.6g hd formatted to 28.6 free space. I get the feeling I'm a bit anal this week with formatting. Now it's off to bed and work on the next drive tomorrow. Maybe no norton this time though and just the simple format process
Old 30th October, 2002, 06:03 AM

Cool. I have had similar probs with Norton progs under XP and just do Disk Doctor after restart now. It may have some bloat to it, but it does a darn good job and I use the heck out of it.
Anal? Wow, you seem lightweight to me! I guess I overqualify! LOL
Get some sleep and try it again tomorrow!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th October, 2002, 12:20 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

All files systems take space on the hard disk! Consider a hard disk to be like a pad of blank paper. Now, somehow you need to organise the information, so you start drawing lines and columns on the paper - you've immediately taken away some of the space you could otherwise use. It's the same with the hard disk.

In addition to organising your pages, you also have an index.

FAT16 is a bit simple. It can only handle an index up to 65,355 items, and your pad has more than 65,355 words in it! So, FAT16 groups bunches of words together and calls them "Clusters", as they're clusters of words. The problem is, the bigger your pad of paper, the more words that have to be grouped together in the index! Eventually, it gets to the point where you have so many words in your pad, that FAT16 can only tell you which block of 10 pages it's in (or worse!). Obviously this is no good when you need to find the information in a hurry.

FAT32 isn't really any cleverer. It just has a bigger index! FAT32's index can handle up to 4294967295 items. This sounds fantastic when you compare to FAT16, except for one thing. You're gonna need a mighty big pad just to hold the index, let alone the contents. Remember that was up to? What happens in the real world is that the index is made smaller, so we can find things by page number, rather than page number, line number and word number. Eventually, as the pad gets bigger, the index gets larger and larger until it's too unwieldy to actually be any use.

NTFS is completely different. The designers of NTFS decided that you wouldn't have one BIG index. So, your pad has a front page, with categories on it, just like a contents page. Each category then points to another page, which holds the index for that category. Even better, if the info you're looking for is small enough, they managed to fit it in the index, so you don't even need to go looking for the page it's on. Unfortunately, although the index can grow, it can't shrink. If something goes horribly wrong, it's possible to end up with an index that takes up nearly all of your pad. Although there's still room for all the small items, there isn't any room for the big items. The only way to sort that out is to recycle the pad! (or reformat your hard disk...)

AidanII
Old 30th October, 2002, 09:26 PM

AidanII, where do you get all this info from? Do you have a pair of 80 giggers in your head ? Thanks, yet again. You're a wealth of information to us~!
Old 31st October, 2002, 10:29 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by unclemojo
AidanII, where do you get all this info from? Do you have a pair of 80 giggers in your head ? Thanks, yet again. You're a wealth of information to us~!
To be honest, I've screwed around with enough low level stuff to have a reasonable understanding of what's happening under the hood. My interest in computers has always been at the lower levels, as this is where all the interesting things happen. At any rate, it's hard to understand why things happen if you don't have any idea of what goes on under the hood.

AidanII
Old 31st October, 2002, 04:33 PM

That could not be more true. Maybe it's time for me to pop the hood on a few of my older toys and see what makes them tick
Old 31st October, 2002, 07:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

IMO. this is all stuff people like us should know.

« IBM Stuff | Raid »