AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th October, 2002, 09:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

Hard drive shrinkage

I'm sure you've all seen it happen... After a nice clean format, you've lost some drive space somehow. I've got a 40g that I've formatted about 3,000 times (not really) and it only shows 37.3g available on the drive. I've tried writing zeros to the drive and can't seem to reclaim the pirated space. Is there a way to recover it, and what would someone use to accomplish this seemingly impossible feat? I'm stuck, and simply over looking at my 40gigger reading at 37.3g
Old 28th October, 2002, 09:37 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Hard drive shrinkage

It was never there in the first place. That's cuz there's more than one way to measure the size of a drive.

There's the manufacturers way, which defines a Gigabyte to be 1000x1000x1000 bytes (1000000000).

There's the computer way, which defines a Gigabyte to be 1024x1024x1024 bytes (1073741824).

Of course, the manufacturers figures look bigger. They're meant to. It's just that they're defining Gigabyte to be a different size to the rest of the world.

If you expand your 40Gb drive out into bytes, according to the drive manufacturers you'll have 40000000000 bytes. (40x1000x1000x1000)

If you take 40000000000 bytes, and divide them according to a computer definition of Gb, you'll have 37.3Gb. ( 40000000000/ (1024*1024*1024) ).

AidanII
Old 28th October, 2002, 09:54 PM

While thats great information, the drive...all of them in fact, lose free space with each new nuke and pave. The 40 started out reading 39.8gb, but is slowly losing more space. I've got a 20g thats now reading 17.1. Its rather old and has been run through the mill a few dozen times. I'm just not sure if there is a way to reclaim the space, and if it was gone to begin with, why does it read differently from the date of purchase (so to speak)? I guess I'm more puzzled about the mystery gap than actually recovering it. I won't put any more than 35g on a 40g anyway, just to have the extra emergency space
Old 28th October, 2002, 10:13 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by unclemojo
While thats great information, the drive...all of them in fact, lose free space with each new nuke and pave. The 40 started out reading 39.8gb, but is slowly losing more space. I've got a 20g thats now reading 17.1. Its rather old and has been run through the mill a few dozen times. I'm just not sure if there is a way to reclaim the space, and if it was gone to begin with, why does it read differently from the date of purchase (so to speak)? I guess I'm more puzzled about the mystery gap than actually recovering it. I won't put any more than 35g on a 40g anyway, just to have the extra emergency space
The only other reasons I can think of why a drive would "lose" space is down to one of two things.

1) Bad sectors. Drives can develop bad sectors over time. It might be worth interrogating SMART to see how many bad sectors it reports. (If they're SMART complient that is!)

2) File system differences. File systems like NTFS take up more space on the disk, so you are left with less usable space afterwards. Of course, this wouldn't change with age.
Old 28th October, 2002, 10:25 PM

They are all Maxtor drives. I spose I'll try the Maxtor software that comes with it. I tried Partition Magic to format the drives, both physical and logical and still came up short. Got a good proggy for writing zeros you can tell me about? It's more of a mini mission for me this week. To format all my drives and reinstall winders on 1 and linux on another (separate systems).
Old 29th October, 2002, 02:46 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Hmmm...maybe hard drive shrinkage works like George Costanza's cold water shrinkage. Perhaps you just need to heat things up a bit.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2002, 03:11 AM

It's overclocked
Old 29th October, 2002, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Got a good proggy for writing zeros you can tell me about?
Try Norton WipeInfo or Norton Wipe Slack Space. Both are part of SystemWorks, I believe.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2002, 01:58 PM

I'll give that a whirl UB. I'm not real fond of Norton but I'm willing to give almost anything a go just to see what happens
Old 29th October, 2002, 03:43 PM

More info on WipeInfo
Screen Shots (Use Government Wipe)

OK, if you hate Norton, try Shiva, Destroyer of Files 3.03. I've never used it, but it sounds like my last wife and my finances just as we got divorced! LOL
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 29th October, 2002, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
OK, if you hate Norton, try Shiva, Destroyer of Files 3.03. I've never used it, but it sounds like my last wife and my finances just as we got divorced! LOL
I had a wife like that once........ once ........ I'll give them all a try UB. Thanks for the info I'm not a Norton hater, I just find their software too bloated (kinda like winders). Shiva might do the job though.

Strangest thing though is even when I did a logical format then a physical format, I'm still missing storage space. I tend to believe AidanII's info though. He must have hardware of the brain or something, cuz he's got sooo much info on sooo much:-D
Old 29th October, 2002, 11:17 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
... I tend to believe AidanII's info though. He must have hardware of the brain or something, cuz he's got sooo much info on sooo much:-D
no disagreement here. After reading Aidan's post(like 3 times), I calc'd the numbers and it works out to like 37+ gigs. My 40gig maxtor reads that way... and my 41 gig IBM has like 38gigs. The bigger the drive, the more I feel like I'm losing.

HDD makers have been pulling this 'gimmick' for years now.
Old 30th October, 2002, 02:56 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

While we're on this subject: Is it true that the listed capacity of SCSI drives is after formatting? I'm curious about this. TIA.

Which raises the subject of: Not only the discrepency in 1000 vs. 1024, but formatting itself steals some of a drives "raw" capacity, I think.
Old 30th October, 2002, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
While we're on this subject: Is it true that the listed capacity of SCSI drives is after formatting? I'm curious about this. TIA.
Cloasters.... thank you for your hidden spot of brilliance. "after formatting" ... This is listed on every single HD I've ever purchased and is the elusive answer I've been searching for these past few days. I was talking with a friend of mine earlier today and we gathered a sensus so to speak and everyone has had the very same mysterious thing happen to their drive...they lost space and can't reclaim it.

I've already downloaded several 'drive cleaners' and am beginning to mercilessly punish my D drive with them, but am now fairly certain that I will gain at the most, 500mb of space back. Not that I'm happy with losing it, but that I'm satisfied that at least I know where the hell it went...
Old 30th October, 2002, 03:46 AM

Uncle Bob... when you do the govornment wipe, it sets the hex value to AA by default. I thought it was best to write zeros?
Old 30th October, 2002, 04:02 AM

ha~! feeling brave, I opted for the 00 hex value and started to wipe the drive. Removed all the Recycler files that tried to set up camp too. I don't show system or hidden files on the D drive because I hated seeing that and the dang System Information dealio folder. Wipe didn't pick up on that folder, but who cares at this point I suppose. It's running a 3 pass wipe set to run 3 times, so if there's any crap left on there, it should be gone once its done

*edit*
Finished the govt wipe pretty fast. Failed to wipe the folders. Oddly enough, this is a 20g drive I just formatted for my linux box. It shows 28.6 total, 27.1 free. This is a freshly formatted drive. Wonder where THAT space is.

<scratches head>
am I seeing things as they normally are or am I on some crazy hard drive thing this week?

Last edited by unclemojo; 30th October, 2002 at 04:07 AM.
Old 30th October, 2002, 04:25 AM

ok...I've decided not to mess with the drive any more tonight. Not sure what I've managed to do, but I get 'can't format' message every time I try to format now. THe drive is fine. It accepts as well as gets rid of data, and it even agrees with an attempted install of a linux distro, so I know it's fine. After shutting all processes down, I still get this same message
Attached Thumbnails
Hard drive shrinkage-noformat.jpg  
Old 30th October, 2002, 04:57 AM

Are you using XP?

Old 30th October, 2002, 05:01 AM

indeed I am. I haven't run across an error like this yet. I'm stumped at the moment I uninstalled Norton and any other cleaners I had and still get the message. odd and disturbing, but not life threatening
Old 30th October, 2002, 05:03 AM

Cannot format drive while it's being written to from Norton knowledge base. You may have better luck doing this in pure DOS. Do you have a WIN 98 Boot disk? Herer is a link to them if you don't the Win 98SE has Format on it.
Yes, I always used 0's on Gpv't wipe.

« IBM Stuff | Raid »