AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th November, 2002, 10:14 AM

Acer 1203 XV notebook.....help!

Hi everyone, I'm new in this Forum

I have a problem:
I own an Acer 1203 XV with Celly Tualatin 1,3 ghz 256K cache. The FSB actually stay at 100 Mhz and the performance are poor, especially in 3D application.
So i have two questions:

1 - Can I change the FSB to 133 Mhz with CPU FSB or SETFSB? The motherboard is a Compal CY 23 and support Pentium CPU 100/133 MHZ and Celly tualatin, but I don't know which is the motherboard's PLL

2 - If I cant' change the FSB speed with a software programs, can I change the CPU with a P3 1000 EB (or a P3 1133 EB 512K cache?)

Thank You very very much!

P.s Sorry for my english
Old 4th November, 2002, 12:28 PM
Member/Contributer

Welcome to the forums, fabbro76! I hope you like it here.

1) No, you won't be able to hit 133MHz FSB on your laptop. You may be lucky to get a few extra MHz out of it with softfsb, but no-where near 33 MHz. Sorry!

Actually I think you problem lies elsewhere than with the FSB. You say that it is especially slow in 3D applications, so what is your video card? Maybe it isn't a 3D card, and uses shared RAM so bumping the FSB up won't help you much anyway.

It is perfectly normal for a laptop to NOT be any good in 3D apps like games! (This isn't esactly true, but for most laptops it IS).

Try updating your drivers, it might help a bit.
Old 4th November, 2002, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan
Welcome to the forums, fabbro76! I hope you like it here.

1) No, you won't be able to hit 133MHz FSB on your laptop. You may be lucky to get a few extra MHz out of it with softfsb, but no-where near 33 MHz. Sorry!

Actually I think you problem lies elsewhere than with the FSB. You say that it is especially slow in 3D applications, so what is your video card? Maybe it isn't a 3D card, and uses shared RAM so bumping the FSB up won't help you much anyway.

It is perfectly normal for a laptop to NOT be any good in 3D apps like games! (This isn't esactly true, but for most laptops it IS).

Try updating your drivers, it might help a bit.
Thank tou for your help, I appreciate it!
So, my video card is a S3 Twister with 8-16-32 MB with shared memory architecture (integrated in the Northbridge). I pumped it to 153 Mhz (with powerstrip) but the performance remain the same.

Quote:

I don't understand....sorry My laptop isn't capable to run at 133 Mhz? Why?
At last, if I use SoftFSB, which are the crrect settings for my laptop and wich PLL and Motherboard brand should I set?

Thank You very much, and thanks for your help!!

Last edited by fabbro76; 4th November, 2002 at 12:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th November, 2002, 01:09 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by fabbro76

Thank tou for your help, I appreciate it!
So, my video card is a S3 Twister with 8-16-32 MB with shared memory architecture (integrated in the Northbridge). I pumped it to 153 Mhz (with powerstrip) but the performance remain the same.

Just as I suspected, your video card isn't exactly the best for 3D. It can handle windows and 2D alright though.

Do you want to use it for gaming?

Quote:

I don't understand....sorry My laptop isn't capable to run at 133 Mhz? Why?
At last, if I use SoftFSB, which are the crrect settings for my laptop and wich PLL and Motherboard brand should I set?
Thank You very much, and thanks for your help!!
Your CPU runs at 13 * 100 = 1300 MHz. If you set the FSB to 133, the CPU should run at 13 * 133 = 1733MHz. It cannot! It is not cooled nearly well enough for that in a laptop, and most other components in your laptop won't cope with high FSB's either.

Laptops are poor overclockers, sorry. I generally advice against overclocking them, but maybe that is just me being over-cautious...

Old 4th November, 2002, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Just as I suspected, your video card isn't exactly the best for 3D. It can handle windows and 2D alright though.

Do you want to use it for gaming?
[/B]
Nope......but in my sparetime, usually i'd like to play with some 3D game...but the performance are low, especially when it runs at 32 Bit

Quote:

Your CPU runs at 13 * 100 = 1300 MHz. If you set the FSB to 133, the CPU should run at 13 * 133 = 1733MHz. It cannot! It is not cooled nearly well enough for that in a laptop, and most other components in your laptop won't cope with high FSB's either.

Laptops are poor overclockers, sorry. I generally advice against overclocking them, but maybe that is just me being over-cautious...

[/B]
Ok.....It's all clear! But ......can I use the CPUFSB to increase the FSB to 1 or 2 Mhz? If yes, which are the exact settings?

Very very very thanks!!!!!!
Old 4th November, 2002, 01:30 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:

Nope......but in my sparetime, usually i'd like to play with some 3D game...but the performance are low, especially when it runs at 32 Bit

You should run it with 16 bit! It improves performance quite a bit, and it won't be too ugly either!

The shared RAM is really holding it back. Give it as much RAM as it can take - 32 MB - (if you can spare it for office apps etc). I'm afraid you will have to settle with what you have. Direct3D and OpenGL really aren't good on your video card. Be sure to update the drivers if you can, as it can improve performance a bit sometimes.

Quote:

Ok.....It's all clear! But ......can I use the CPUFSB to increase the FSB to 1 or 2 Mhz? If yes, which are the exact settings?

If the chipset is supported by the SOFTFSB application you might be able to get an extra MHz or two out of it. I wish I knew what settins you should use - but I don't! Sorry. I don't think it would be worth the hassle anyway. If you succesfully overclock it, please remember that it will consume more power (shorten battery time) and generate more heat.

Quote:

Very very very thanks!!!!!!
No problem, don't mention it.
Old 4th November, 2002, 01:34 PM

Ok! Thanks
Old 4th November, 2002, 01:38 PM
Member/Contributer

Thats ok. Have you heard about our folding@home team yet? Wanna join up?
Old 4th November, 2002, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Thats ok. Have you heard about our folding@home team yet? Wanna join up?
What is exactly folding@home team?
Old 4th November, 2002, 02:39 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:

What is exactly folding@home team?
You can read up on it right here:
New Member Guide and FAQ (updated 9-09)

We would happily welcome you to the team should you decide to join us.

This section has it all:
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forum...php?forumid=19

« Raid | Nero Player »