AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th November, 2002, 12:22 PM

power supply

http://www.maxpoint.com/powersupply/...465p_ve_fc.htm

is this a good psu or advise on a coparable for the money

8k3a+
xp2000
Old 5th November, 2002, 12:26 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Enermax have a reputation for having a low 5v output. Holst (one of our EPoX tech support representatives always advises the Sparkle 400 watt psu. Its also my current favorite! Its rated for 400 watts, I have it loaded up with roughly 350 watts constantly, and its running faultlessly!

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th November, 2002, 12:33 PM

thanks thats what im looking for and thanks for the welcome

so maybe this one FSP400-60GN(12V) - OEM AMD

Last edited by udg21; 5th November, 2002 at 12:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th November, 2002, 12:46 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Thats the one

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 5th November, 2002, 08:00 PM

I have several of the Enermax 465 series. The 5V is spot on and holds great. Had no problems with them and they are really quiet compared to most of the other PSUs on the market.

I also am using the Antec Truepower 430 series now in a new box. Seems to have really solid output, but the 12V runs low at first. Has to burn in for several weeks to get to it's steady output. Once burned in, it provides a very stable output. It has some fan control features that I am testing now.

Both of these are much quieter than the Sparkle series, if you care about noise. They also both contribute to the case cooling.
Old 6th November, 2002, 04:50 PM

My sparkle is silent, temp controlled fan.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 6th November, 2002, 06:05 PM

I got a chance to get this PSU for "free" so I grabbed it:
VANTEC VAN-520A (520W) Black Aluminum Power Supply.
It has some nice specs!
Attached Thumbnails
power supply-chance.jpg  
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 8th November, 2002, 07:52 AM

Uncle Bob,

So hows the Vantec PSU holding up??? Are you using it on an overclocked system??? Thinking of getting one of those
Old 8th November, 2002, 09:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

With a few exceptions, Vantec makes very good bang-for-buck heatsinks. I'm interested in their PS's, too!
Old 8th November, 2002, 10:37 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I'm actually more curious as to how UB obtained a "free" PSU. Hey, free is good, even if the PSU stinks, you can't complain about the price...

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 9th November, 2002, 12:44 AM

One of the more important things on a PSU is the 3.3v anf 5v combined power. (as thats whatl normally feeds your CPU)

On that 520watt PSU its 280, which is pretty good.
On my sparkel 400 combined power is 295watts.

High wattage isnt allways the best. especially when comparing the sparkle 400 to the vantec 420 (with the sparkle with 50% more combined power).

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 9th November, 2002, 04:05 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks for the tip, Holst. Now I see that the less powerful Vantec PS's are out of the question. Too bad, I'm sure that the 520W model can't be cheap.
Old 9th November, 2002, 06:33 AM

No, it wasn't. I didn't have to pay for it, it was a gift. I wish I had wished for something else! I feel like a guinea pig on the nortend of a southbound horse if you know what I mean, wink, wink, nod, nod!
Attached Thumbnails
power supply-chance.jpg  
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 15th November, 2002, 07:32 PM

OK, I give up...(UNCLE...LOL) I put the Sparkle PSU back in my main rig. I tested with a reliable calibrated tester Fluke) that I use for my electrical work.
The Vantec read 4.82 v
The Sparkle read 5.02v
All of these readings are under load with CPU running SETI, and all case fans running.
Interestingly:
The Vantec read 12.09v
The Sparkle read 12.01v
I guess you get a little something for about $80 more, huh?
You can see a correction factor for the Winbond chip would be necessary, however we really need to look at the difference mostly. Here is a new MBM screenie:
Attached Thumbnails
power supply-8port_small.jpg  

Old 15th November, 2002, 10:18 PM

those sparkles get recommended a lot, and they're cheaper than your antecs and enermaxes too. i should have got one i think, this enermax does seem to give a low-ish 5v line on the Epox.

Think i was put off cos i had a sparkle Geforce2MX which was specced out really crap, and I though they were a cheapo company. plus the name sounds like Barbie's pony or something to me which didn't help matters, hehe

not dissing em though cos i only hear good things about their power supplies.
Epox 8K5A3+ | XP1700+ AROIA-Y @1851MHz (10x185) | Thermalright SLK-800 + SmartFan II | 512MB Samsung PC2700 CAS2 3-6-3 1T | PNY GeForce 4 Ti4600 @333/742 | Western Digital 120GB Special Edition | 431W Enermax PSU | CoolerMaster ATC-201 case | Iiyama 21" VisionMaster Pro | Win2k sp2

13,659 3DMarks