AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th November, 2002, 07:36 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Added Bonus!

Anybody ever heard of a Western Digital special edition HDD with an 8mb cache. Sure you have, it's the best performing IDE HDD out there. Ever heard of on in a 40GB capacity? I never had...

I am planning on building myself a new PC after x-mas. I want to coustom build a coffee table and conceal the pc inside of it. Well actually 2 PC's. I have already bought some parts and peices. Well anyway my wife wants to give one of her friend a PC for X-Mas. She asked me what was the absolute cheapest the I could put a websurfing and e-mail box together for. So I went out and ordered an iTX mobo and case/psu combo from servercase.com. I ordered some RAM from crucial. Got a modem from digitallyunique.com. But for a HDD and CD-RW I could get them at compusa for cheaper. So I picked up a cheap CD-RW and a WD 40gb 7200rpm ATA100 HDD for $60 after rebate. I stoped and decided that I may as well pick up a second HDD for when it became time to build mine.

Well today the last of the parts showed up so I put the iTX box together. When I was finished I set the box in my den to start the software installation. Went back to the kitchen to gather up all the documentation for the PCs future owner when I see a bright pink slip of paper. It read:

Quote:
ADDED BONUS
You have just received a higher performance hard drive at no extra cost!

The drive you have received is a Western Digital Special Edition hard drive which features an 8 MB cache buffer. Compared to the industry standard 2 MB versions, this Special Edition drive delivers data to users faster than any desktop hard drive has befor. You can expect the best combination of performance, reliability, and value in every award winning Western Digital hard drive.
I thought wow. Totally cool. Then I thought I better check the other one. After all they were sitting on the shelf right next to each other. I go to my pile of parts and pull out my HDD. Rip it out of its box, start searching. Look as I may I can find no pink slip. Pull other HDD out of the machine I just built and compare part #s. One is a WD-400BB and the other is a WD-400JB. I got bummed because I was hoping that my HDD would have the *mb Buffer, but alas it only has a 2mb buffer. Oh well, better luck next time.

Anyone else ever come accross a WD-400JB befor?

I think I may have screwed up and accidently put the WD-400BB back into the iTX box for my wifes friend.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th November, 2002, 09:50 AM

That kinda stuff happens to me as well! Man, it sure pays to read the fine print!
Coffee table PC< nice! I haven't seen the 8MB 40 G drives, nice. Be great for a RAID array.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th November, 2002, 03:44 PM
Member/Contributer

I haven't seen any 40GB 8 megs either. But I have the 80GB 8MB myself.
Old 9th November, 2002, 05:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ByteWipe

I realise this its a UK site, but:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...Drives_74.html
200GB one at the bottom

Main Rig: AMD XP 2000+ @ 1790Mhz (142Mhz FSB), Leadtek Winfast K7N415DA Mobo, Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD GF4 Ti4200 64MB @ 305/589, Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 RAM, 92GB hard drive space, Chieftec Scorpio TX-10BD Case, 2 Papst 80mm Case Fans (40cfm each), Akasa AK-821 2Q Silent CPU Cooler (20cfm). Win XP Pro. 45C idle, 54C full load. 3DMark2001SE: 11020

Server: AMD K6-2 500Mhz @ 550Mhz (110Mhz FSB), Gigabyte GA-5AX Mobo, S3 Trio 4MB, 224MB P100 RAM, stock CPU cooler. Win 2000 Pro
Old 9th November, 2002, 05:45 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally posted by ByteWipe
I realise this its a UK site, but:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...Drives_74.html
I'm am just happy to have gotten one. I almost boght an 80GB drive just to get the 8mb buffer but decided that I didn't need that much space and the price/performance ratio didn't justify the added expense. So it is totally cool that I got a WD-400JB

Quote:

200GB one at the bottom
And I can remember when a sales person talked me into getting machine with 16mb of RAM and an 800mb HDD instead of one with 8mb RAM and a 1GB HDD because the RAM would give it more of a boost in performance and besides I would never fill an 800mb HDD.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 9th November, 2002, 07:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ByteWipe

Quote:
Originally posted by Staz

And I can remember when a sales person talked me into getting machine with 16mb of RAM and an 800mb HDD instead of one with 8mb RAM and a 1GB HDD because the RAM would give it more of a boost in performance and besides I would never fill an 800mb HDD.
ahhh yes, back in the day with the 486s. think i started worrying about hard drive space when theme hospital took up 50mb on max install.

imagine the excitement when we got our first 133Mhz Cyrix, then to go and buy 64mb of ram and a voodoo2, thinking that technology couldn't go much further... course i was only about 12 at the time

Main Rig: AMD XP 2000+ @ 1790Mhz (142Mhz FSB), Leadtek Winfast K7N415DA Mobo, Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD GF4 Ti4200 64MB @ 305/589, Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 RAM, 92GB hard drive space, Chieftec Scorpio TX-10BD Case, 2 Papst 80mm Case Fans (40cfm each), Akasa AK-821 2Q Silent CPU Cooler (20cfm). Win XP Pro. 45C idle, 54C full load. 3DMark2001SE: 11020

Server: AMD K6-2 500Mhz @ 550Mhz (110Mhz FSB), Gigabyte GA-5AX Mobo, S3 Trio 4MB, 224MB P100 RAM, stock CPU cooler. Win 2000 Pro
Old 9th November, 2002, 11:25 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If the 40 Gb WD is a xxxJB model, the "JB" signifies that it's an SE HDD. A friend was talking about WD 40 Gb Special Edition's yesterday. I said that I doubted that they existed. Looks like he was right! Wish I had a brace of them, these 40 Gb Barracuda IV's are s l o w.