AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th November, 2002, 01:17 PM

Master or Slave

For best performance which should be the master, CD/R or CD/RW? Or does it really make a differance?

2nd Rig, MSI K7N2 Delta 2, XP-3200 Barton, Global Win CK-38 w/60mm Delta, 9600XT, XP Pro

99% of all computer problems are sitting in front of the monitor But.... so is the Solution!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th November, 2002, 01:20 PM

For the best performance the CD-RW should be master, for even better performance the CD-RW should be master and alone, the CD-ROM should be slave on the hard drive, and never put the CD-RW on the same cable as the hard drive it is going to write from

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th November, 2002, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronin1967 For the best performance the CD-RW should be master, for even better performance the CD-RW should be master and alone, the CD-ROM should be slave on the hard drive, and never put the CD-RW on the same cable as the hard drive it is going to write from

Thanks ronin, I had someone tell the that yesterday but.... that person has been known to be full of $*** before. I'll give it a try later. I can't make my CD/R slave to my HDD because I have 2 HDDs but I'll change the 2 CD's around. One more question. Do you know why Nero will not work if my CD/R is set up for auto detect? I was using a Acer CD/R with auto on but when I changed to a Lite On Nero wants to turn it off before I burn .

2nd Rig, MSI K7N2 Delta 2, XP-3200 Barton, Global Win CK-38 w/60mm Delta, 9600XT, XP Pro

99% of all computer problems are sitting in front of the monitor But.... so is the Solution!
Old 9th November, 2002, 05:02 PM

For performance with your system, setup the two hardrives on seperate cables both as master, then setup each CD device as slave, pair up the CD-RW with that hard drive it will use the least...unless you are running RAID, then that's a whole other story.

Not sure why NERO is giving you a hard time, I use it on several machines, some with generic writers, several with LITE-ON, and this one has a Plextor, might just be something in the software, I will check

Old 10th November, 2002, 06:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

how you set it up also depends on what you are primarily doing with them

cd copying:
each drive on seperate channels with the writer paired with the least used hdd (both slave)
... or both drives on the same channel with the writer as master (wont be quite as good but wonderful if the hdds are being used heavily while writing)

cd mastering (ie from hdd):
both CD drives on the channel that does not have the source hdd

in any case it really doesnt matter much unless you need to be multitasking while writing since todays processors and buses can more than handle writing a CD
Old 15th November, 2002, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SadisticWarrior
Do you know why Nero will not work if my CD/R is set up for auto detect? I was using a Acer CD/R with auto on but when I changed to a Lite On Nero wants to turn it off before I burn .
you mean auto insert notification? nero (and other burning progs) doesn't like it because windows, in all its wisdom, can recognise the disc once data burning has finished and it's being finalised. obviously if the OS tries to access and mount the disc while it's still being finalised it's gonna fubar the burn...
Epox 8K5A3+ | XP1700+ AROIA-Y @1851MHz (10x185) | Thermalright SLK-800 + SmartFan II | 512MB Samsung PC2700 CAS2 3-6-3 1T | PNY GeForce 4 Ti4600 @333/742 | Western Digital 120GB Special Edition | 431W Enermax PSU | CoolerMaster ATC-201 case | Iiyama 21" VisionMaster Pro | Win2k sp2

13,659 3DMarks