AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th November, 2002, 11:01 PM

Monitor power saving

Does anyone know how to get Windows XP to power off the monitor if I press a certain key or create a shortcut with the right command? It would be preferable to do this instead of Windows just powering off the monitor after a certain period. I'd guess that powering off and on the monitor when needed using its power button seems to be more stressful on the monitor (due to all the clunking and clicking sounds it makes when I do this).

Cheers
John
Inno3d Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (silenced)
40gb Seagate Barracuda IV
300W Aopen PSU (silenced)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2002, 04:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

i've been looking for a way to do this as well... the easiest seems to be hitting the button on the monitor....

i think windows has nothing like this built in but i believe it would (probably) be very easy to create a tiny program that tells the monitor to shutoff and then assign that program a hotkey...

(reason i say probably is that it is probably not documented very well; and the fact that i've only seen a few programs do this...)
Old 12th November, 2002, 11:39 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Monitor power saving

Quote:
Originally posted by slack
I'd guess that powering off and on the monitor when needed using its power button seems to be more stressful on the monitor (due to all the clunking and clicking sounds it makes when I do this).
Assuming it's a CRT...

The clunking and clicking is the degauss coil and it's relay working. The degauss coil just removed residual magnatism from the monitor, so you don't get odd colour shifts or anything like that. That's perfectly normal!

AidanII
Old 13th November, 2002, 03:29 AM

now is it a bad thing that when i open up big white windows that my screen geometery changes slightly? (or that the thing actually runs out of spec.... it does 1280x960@75hz quite nicely; displays 1920x1440@60hz but wont actually fit on the display and cant read small fonts well; spec though is 1280x1024@60hz)
Old 13th November, 2002, 10:38 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by drow_elf
now is it a bad thing that when i open up big white windows that my screen geometery changes slightly?
Throwing up a big white lump on the screen is a standard test for the regulation of the HT power supply. The best CRTs don't change size, but the cheaper CRTs do, as their regulation isn't so good.

AidanII
Old 14th November, 2002, 12:49 AM

lol, but does it running that far out of spec seem strange? i've never had a monitor that did that....

but hey its a $100 17in w/ .27dot pitch; i'm not complaing (esp since i bought it 1.5yrs ago)
Old 14th November, 2002, 02:14 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A black-white-black test is included in many monitor test programs. AFAIK, the pic displayed by all CRT's changes size at least a little during this test.

Personally, if 1280x960 @ 60 Hz is what the monitor's handbook says, I wouldn't exceed that vertical refresh rate at this resolution.

Monitors have changed for the better over time. I destroyed a 15" CRT by exceeding its maximum verticle refresh rate by 2 Hz for about two and a half hours.
Old 15th November, 2002, 01:37 AM

its all IC controlled... i think they may have made a mistake... since i'm running a full 15hz out of "range" (and have been for a month!)

i checked out the manual/spec sheet again... and noticed that it uses about as much power as a bright light bulb (it uses 110watts max) i always thought it was way more...