AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th November, 2001, 02:50 PM
Member/Contributer

Can I overclock my ThinkPad?

I just got hold of an old TP600, its a P2-266, and I was wondering if there was any way I could get it to 300 or something?
Old 13th November, 2001, 07:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

you could try, but they aren't designed to handle the extra heatload. Try one of those soft FSB programs online. Sorry, the names aren't coming to me right now.
Old 14th November, 2001, 10:49 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Assuming the design of ThinkPads has remained largely unchanged between the P2/266 and the T20i, there's an onboard fan that cuts in when the heatsink runs over a certain temperature. O/cing your thinkpad will cause its power consumption to increase, both due to extra power consumed by the cpu, and extra running time for the fan.

One other issue is that to minimise the size, things like ram, sound and gfx are often on customised buses, and only pretend to be on the pci/agp/whatever bus for the sake of windows. I'm not sure how their clock rates relate to the normal cpu clock...

You could try using cpuFSB or similar. The worst that could happen is you toast it
Old 14th November, 2001, 07:06 PM
Member/Contributer

Hehe, yeah, perhaps I'll give it a go... but it won't fold much no matter what, so I guess it isn't worth it. Do you know what the fastest CPU I can use in this baby is?

As for power consumtion, its not a problem, as the battery is more or less dead anyway...
Old 14th November, 2001, 08:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan Nielsen
Hehe, yeah, perhaps I'll give it a go... but it won't fold much no matter what, so I guess it isn't worth it. Do you know what the fastest CPU I can use in this baby is?

As for power consumtion, its not a problem, as the battery is more or less dead anyway...
are the cpu's soldered into the board?
Old 15th November, 2001, 10:54 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

From experience, most laptops have soldered CPUs. I'm not sure that the power control on the CPU actually uses a programmable clock generator or if it inserts pauses in the processors accesses to slow it down. Most clock throttling doesn't seem to change the frequency of the processor to avoid changing PCI/AGP bus speeds as well.

I'd say good luck to you. I reckon that you'll probably need to do some soldering if you want to overclock the thinkpad.

AidanII
Old 15th November, 2001, 01:29 PM
Member/Contributer

Ok thanks guys, I knew it wasn't gonna be easy I guess I was just hoping for some excellent solution.

I think I'll leave it as it is then.