AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd January, 2003, 12:23 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

PSU recommendations please :)

My duallie is sucking up too much juice. My sparkle 400watter cannot cope. What would be a good bet to replace it with fairly cost effectively? PC power and cooling are out of the question unfortunately.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd January, 2003, 03:31 PM

For dual system setups, well, Enhance ENS-0246A is a good choice. Make sure you get the A version because it has higher Amperage on all lines than the B version. Also, they have wide range of connectors for that PSU, from ATX+12V to EPS12V and evem AMD connectors.

Another option is the Antec TP550W, but I didn't test it on dual system setups yet.
Old 2nd January, 2003, 03:46 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Well the cheapest way to go would be to get a small PSU, something like 250w or 230w or even a mATX 145w. Then set it up to start when your main PSU starts and have it power everything except the MoBo (which is the only thing you leave on your 400w PSU

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd January, 2003, 03:54 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

I just crashed at 1575 mhz..... so just dedicating the PSU to the motherboard isnt gonna help me much... Im up at 1800 again now, stable for a while FAH im using 144fsb rather than 150... maybe i have solved my problem?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 2nd January, 2003, 06:28 PM

Im using an enermax 430w and it seems ok, no psu probs here, then again not a dual system

Athlon 64 3700+, Shuttle sn95, 1gb, nvidia 7600gt

----old-----
xp1700+ @ xp2600 (12.5*166 / 1.6v), epox 8k3a+, TwinMos + Geil 1.5gb ram, Ati radeon 8500 128mb
Old 2nd January, 2003, 07:05 PM

still running... maybe i've sorted the problem!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 3rd January, 2003, 10:01 PM

I just ordered a QTEC 550 Watt based on the fatc its dirt cheap and had a good review. £33 from theoverclockingstore.co.uk also my 300W ebuyer psu is just about holding together my xp1600 system so i think it should cope. Shiny and gold coloured too.

review:
http://www.hardwareseeker.com/resour...tml?rlid=51866

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd January, 2003, 10:56 PM

I've heard bad things about qtec. i will not touch a sub £50 psu with a barge pole for this rig

its seemingly back to normal now. so im holding off buying a new PSU

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 3rd January, 2003, 11:20 PM

The review sounded pretty good and they did some thorough tests on it. Apparently the 400W version is a bit cheap and nasty but the 550 is pretty good. I can't be spending £50+ on a PSU. If it fitted in my case, I'd be using the dualPSU I frankensteined out of a 300W ATX and a 230W AT PSU.

If my machine can run windows stably on a cheap 300W (can't cope with powering the GPU heavily for long tho...) then i reckon its going to be alright,

I'll be able to afford a nicer one in a few yrs when i'm out of uni earning 100 grand+ a year...

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd January, 2003, 11:36 PM

I don't know about for dual systems, but based on everything I've read on PSU's the best manufacturer that is wideley available is Antec. I know a lot of people like Sparkle, but I've had a bad experience with one of their PSU's so I stay away now.

Tomshardware has a PSU shootout on it with a LOT of different PSU's, might want to go check that out before you make up your mind.
Old 4th January, 2003, 08:01 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Jett, could you please post a URL for this PS comparison at Tom's Hardware?
Old 4th January, 2003, 08:41 PM

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/index.html

I'm not a huge Tom-fan, but this is definitely some of his best work in quite awhile. Hope it helps!
Old 5th January, 2003, 07:15 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you, Jett, it's a very interesting "shootout!"
Old 18th January, 2003, 03:56 AM

Re: PSU recommendations please :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
My duallie is sucking up too much juice. My sparkle 400watter cannot cope. What would be a good bet to replace it with fairly cost effectively? PC power and cooling are out of the question unfortunately.

How come PC Power and Cooling is out of the question??? Too expensive???
Old 20th January, 2003, 04:57 PM

Exactly, WAY too expensive, but i havent had a random reboot in ages. So it seems to be fixed.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 20th January, 2003, 05:57 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Exactly, WAY too expensive, but i havent had a random reboot in ages. So it seems to be fixed.
While PC P&C PS's are painful to the wallet, they are more reasonably priced than they were just a few years ago.

In a perfect world..
Old 20th January, 2003, 07:47 PM

Whew!! I thought there was something wrong with PC P&C PSUs.... I just recently bought the 425watt ATX from them. It was on sale on their website.
Old 21st January, 2003, 01:36 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JayJay
Whew!! I thought there was something wrong with PC P&C PSUs.... I just recently bought the 425watt ATX from them. It was on sale on their website.
Something wrong with PC P&C power supplies? No, they're excellent. The Turbo-Cools are a tad noisy, and the Silencers aren't silent. I don't mind listening to them one little bit.