AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th January, 2003, 03:24 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

Cool Woot!

New motherboard & vid card today!!

I am now the proud owner of a Shuttle AK35GT2, VIA KT333 motherboard with 256 mb ddr ram and a Radeon 9000 128 mb ddr w/tv out

Of course I installed folding right away

Now, I just need to get my little network set up
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th January, 2003, 03:56 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Great news Betty, happy to see you up and running again!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th January, 2003, 11:56 AM
Member/Contributer

3dmark 2001 se....pre-latest driver installation: 5693....a benchmark that I'm not ashamed to share
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Old 17th January, 2003, 12:03 PM
Member/Contributer

Good Betty, congrats on a new system!
Old 17th January, 2003, 03:49 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Hmmm... new toy...

Come on!! You know the drill, hehe.
What is the CPU?
What memory are you using?
What is the memory on the vid card?

The 9000 ships running 200/200... Unlike older radeons, these puppies don't mind running asynch.. If you've got 4ns memory on there, you should get at least 50 mhz more, the GPU should do 275 easy. In most tweaking programs, you can optimize for 3dmark. These steps should be worth 500-1000 more points. If you're not on catalyst drivers, updating should be worth another 500pts.

How is your FSB/mem speeds? If you are running 133, going to 166 should be worth at least another 500...

We'll get you to at least 7500 3dmarks in no time.
Old 17th January, 2003, 05:23 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Nice to read that you're up and running, Betty!
Old 17th January, 2003, 06:40 PM
Member/Contributer

Beauty! Installed the latest drivers for my radeon.....6272, up 579 from my pre-drivers benchmark

okay...

cpu - 1.4 gig athlon
motherboard - shuttle AK35GT (via kt333)
ram - 256 ddr (not sure of brand - cheap stuff anyway)
video - Radeon 9000 Evil Commando (the name just slays me!) 128 mb ddr, w/tv out.
sound - soundblaster live! (hmm...I don't think I installed the latest drivers for this...just what it came with)

what did I forget?

I don't plan on overclocking this system (gasp!), compared to previous systems owned, this is plenty fast enough for me, and I don't like the idea of having to drop any more cash on parts that I might fry. (this upgrade is way too costly for me)
Old 17th January, 2003, 06:42 PM
Member/Contributer

oh yeah...and I had a ***** of a time getting this up and running...apparently XP doesn't take kindly to two motherboard changes, a cpu, video card and ram change...who woulda thunk it? :-D

I've reformatted and installed win2k...any tweaks suggested? I've only used 2k a couple of times and have very little experience with it.
Old 17th January, 2003, 06:47 PM
Member/Contributer

Oh and any suggestions...post it in idiotspeak please
Old 19th January, 2003, 03:19 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If your RAM is PC2700, I'd take advantage of the KT333 chipset and run at least 170fsb in synch. Otherwise, stay below 150fsb. A little extra juice for the memory, like +.1 or .2v is very safe. See what the memory will do and drop the multiplier.

This will improve bandwidth and performance in just about everything. Also, if you want to play it safe, just keep your PCI bus @ 35mhz or less. This would be under 140fsb (w/ 1/4) or 175 (w/ 1/5).

Edit: to test cheap memory, download memtest. We have 3.0 in aoafiles, and you'll need a floppy. Very easy to run, just boot from it, and it will test over and over until you stop it. 1 pass will take 15-20 minutes on your pc.

Edit2: I use radeonator to oc my vid card (sapphire). It's in aoafiles too. Not sure if it will work for you, but imagine it will. Very easy to use.
Have fun!

Last edited by SteveI; 19th January, 2003 at 03:54 PM.
Old 20th January, 2003, 07:20 PM

I should have a tweak of that video card betty. I'm running a very similar setup to that except with the 64mb version of the card manufactured by sapphire (model name "Atlantis" not as badass as an evil commando but hey) and I can just scrape 7000 3dmarks. I've never got any programs to work with OCing the graphics card, though I haven't tried any versions released in the past month. As soon as I find one I hope to break through the 7000 barrier without having to take my FSB to 180 on a clean install.

btw, apparently 3dmark 2k3 is coming out in about 2 weeks. (read it on the inquirer)

AOA Team fah