AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th January, 2003, 05:30 PM

kvm

don't ever buy on of these the loss of video quality was unreal the entire screen was covered with gost images

any one know of a good kvm???
Old 20th January, 2003, 04:40 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Im setting this up tonight. I'll let you know what its like.
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:24 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I have a Belkin OmniCube 4port KVM. I've had no issues with it running at 1280x1024.

One hint: buy decent quality video cables. Poor quality video cables cause lots of image problems!

Áedán
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

And the length of the VGA cable makes a real difference. The shorter, the better.
Old 21st January, 2003, 01:33 AM

i bought 6' cables I'm really not sure if there good ones or not, the two computer stores that i shop at both had the same brands, "cables unlimited"

so i just put my folding rigs on a spare monitor that i had,I'm actually surprised at just how much you can spend on one of these units i did a little looking around and found several between 300 and 400 ...ouch the one i bought was only 40$
Old 21st January, 2003, 02:29 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Diffenitly go with the Belkin OmniCube 4port KVM it's only limitation that I've found is that if you use logitec mouse or track ball you must stay with a box while it re-boots or it won't pick up your drivers.

A minor annoyance compared to it's overwhelming convenience and quality.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st January, 2003, 03:08 AM

wow this is a slick looking unit it looks like my folding farm is going keep growing, went downtown and bought a new mother board and antec case after work tonight i guess i might just as well invest in something nice .......next month

Last edited by kat; 21st January, 2003 at 03:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st January, 2003, 05:36 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
wow this is a slick looking unit it looks like my folding farm is going keep growing, went downtown and bought a new mother board and antec case after work tonight i guess i might just as well invest in something nice .......next month
Shwwuuuueeeet!!
How many giga-hurtzz can you attach to that 8port???

Let's see, Tbred B's averaging 2.4ghz each.... sounds like about 20ghz of AMD folding goodness.... Ya may wanna stick solar panels on your roof to defray the electricity bill. :clown:
Old 21st January, 2003, 12:08 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
this is a slick looking unit
If you really want to move into the big boy's toys, the MATRIX2 is towards the mid end. This one only allows two administrators, but also supports PC, Mac and Sun platforms. Put it together with a remote solution (Can run video, mouse and keyboard over 100metres of cat5), and you can have truely silent computing, as they're in another room! If you run out of space on one, just daisy chain another MATRIX2 onto one of the existing ports - that'd get you up to 240 ports worth of KVM. As SteveI puts it, it'd be over half a terrahertz of clock speed.

I use a similar concept where I work. The machines are 3 floors below me, so I don't have to listen to their noise. On the other hand, I can control them from one of two administration stations!

Áedán

Last edited by Áedán; 21st January, 2003 at 12:10 PM.
Old 21st January, 2003, 12:31 PM

guess i should have asked a few more questions before i bought somthing, those all in one cables are realy nice, would have made for a much nicer looking rack instead of the spiderweb look that i have now
Old 23rd January, 2003, 02:59 AM

I use IOGear. Have two of these:
http : //www .iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GCS84A

Image quality is superb and the cables come with it. $119 at Directron.