AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st November, 2001, 04:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to 286 Rocks

Computer turns on by itsself

This just happened last night at around 3:00 am. I wake up to hear my computer turn on and have my delta 7k fan blast my ear off. The thing is I did absolutly nothing to make my computer turn on! I was asleep! I didn't change any settings on my computer except I got a program to shut down my computer via tv remote. ( I have TV card btw). I unplugged it so it didn't happen again.
It just utterly baffles me why my computer would just turn on. Its never happened to me before and I didn't change a thing. You guys have any ideas?

sys specs;

Abit KT7
T-bird 1200 @ 1400
256 megs Cas 2 Micron PC-133 sdram
Voodoo 3 3500 ( getting Replaced soon)
Askey Tview 99
Nic
SB16
20 gig maxtor 7200 ATA 66
Old 21st November, 2001, 10:12 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

My KT7a based board will power up automatically as soon as the power lead is plugged into it (I like live power leads - sparky )

Could've been a power fluctuation, mebbe a micro-power cut. Either that or the cat stood on your remote control
Old 21st November, 2001, 10:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

WOL maybe?
Old 22nd November, 2001, 07:35 PM

It could have been my ferret playing around in my rats nest. Maybe he dislogged the power cord or something. I dunno it only happened that once.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 07:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

that would still be weird even then.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 12:33 AM

It's your electric personality.......
Old 23rd November, 2001, 02:18 AM

Hmmm could be, I can be my own defibulator at times.

Oh well it was probably some weird power whatchmacaller. As long as it dosn't do it again I won't worry about it.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 05:45 AM
Banned

Thought it was the Wake On LAN feature... that was the first thing that comes to mind, but if this was the first time it happened, the power theory makes more sense.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 05:37 PM

ya Wake on LAN is disabled, along with wake on phone ring, and all that jazz

Edit figured it out: seems to be my power cord is crap, when ever I moved it the computer turned on. So I replaced the cord and all is well. YAY!

Last edited by 286 Rocks; 24th November, 2001 at 10:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th November, 2001, 05:49 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

My first thought was wake-on-lan, because that's kinda how I got "caught" once.

If you have a always on high speed connection, and you have wake on lan enabled (and you are foolish enough to share your files without a password), people like me will be booting your computer all the time. I have collected over 9 gig of MP3's, mostly from students who think their computers are only sharring files with the rest of the campus, and not the world. Well one night I retured to Andrea's machine to scavenge the rest of her collection, and I woke her up, by bootin her machine. I was having some trouble downloading the files, and it occurred to me that she had unsharred the drive. I went to her C drive which was still sharred, browsed into the ICQ folder, got her number, and made a deal with her the next day. I sent her the 4 gig I had at the time on CD, and she let me steal the rest of her files. It's kinda wierd how you can meet people that way. Last I knew, she was in Italy somewhere, studying abroad.

There's something facinating about a girl who rides a crotch-rocket, (CBR 600-F2) and looks like Jewel.

Last edited by Azriel; 25th November, 2001 at 05:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!