AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th February, 2003, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to onEeye Send a message via Yahoo to onEeye

Unhappy cant get my fsb over 150 ??

hi all new to this game so go easy on me :clown:

system set up
epox 8rda+
xp 1900+ agoia (1.85v) unlocked with volcano 7+
ocz 2700 ddr (not sure what version) (1.77v)
gf ti 4200 otes (1.6v)
q-tec 550 psu
soundbloaster live
hd fujitsu mpg3204at
bios date 01-17-03 6a61bpaac-00
case air cooled 3 intakes and 3 outakes
think thats all u guyz need

my prob is i cannot get my fsb over 150
even if i drop multi down as low as 9,it will post but not boot into windows
any of you real overclockers help a newb out ?? ta :-D
Old 9th February, 2003, 03:44 PM
AOA Staff

if you cant get it to post any higher by dropping the multiplier, then you may need to relax the memory timings a bit.
Old 9th February, 2003, 05:52 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

welcome to the forums. (always wanted to do that )

It could be a hardware problem, i.e cd-rom/ graphics card etc....

before i updated some of the stuff on my AL440LX mobo i couldnt get it past 80fsb. now i got all new ish stuff, i can get it up to 133 .

may wan to check for outdated equipment, although this is unlikely the case.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th February, 2003, 03:38 PM

As a dedicated user of OCZ, I do know SOME versions of their PC2700 (older versions) were very particular about timings. Try SPD (Serial Presence Detect) in "Fast" mode which I beleive is Cas 2.5 @ 2T, 1T.  Also, increase the VDDR to 2.7V - 2.8V, and perhaps 1.9Vcore (albeit somewhat high). You have a decent HSF, it's fan is actually capable of 53CFM (I think) however; that dang thermistor is located up by the fan, where it's significantly cooler, therefore the Fan tends to run at the lower speeds, not working as well as it could. I've heard of people moving the thermistor down near the CPU, exchanging it, or removing it all together. But that's another issue.

I don't think your PSU is a problem, as you should have adequate amperes on each DC rail. So it's most likely adjusting the memory. I've found OCZ is runs pretty well on SPD (Serial Presence Detect (mode)). What size, and how many sticks are you using ? Are they stamped; "OCZ Technology" (into the copper,) heat spreaders?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th February, 2003, 07:59 PM

tnx for all the replies Liquid3D,piccoLEW&surlyjoe

i will try everything u guys have said
sorry for not giving all memory info (curses)

its one stick of ocz 512(2700) copper heat sinks with "OCZ Technology" etched into it

note* to Liquid3D bought it 19/08/02 would that give u any idea of revision ?? just curious

ill let you know how i get on and thanks again
Old 11th February, 2003, 02:02 PM

I'm checking on the best timings for that memory with your setup, but let us know what effects  the suggestions we gave have on the system.

Old 11th February, 2003, 07:36 PM

anything over 150 system wont run a 3dmarks
got memory timings set to optimal (easiest timings i can use unless i lower them manually)
can get system to boot up to 155 but like i said no 3 d marks
spd no boot

could this be a hard drive prob ?? Ive locked the agp and pci 66/33
but does that also lock ide channels ?

again thanks for your help and replies

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5851079
Old 11th February, 2003, 11:34 PM

It's highly unlikely, this is your problem. I'll explain for future reference, however; I'm sure it's not the problem, and at the end of this paragragh I'll explain why. Go into Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System, Hardware, Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Then double click on Primary IDE Channel. In the window click on Advanced Settings and then next to Transfer Mode change the setting from DMA if Available to PIO Mode. Do the same to the Secondary IDE Channel (change from DMA to PIO.) Then exit Windows, go into your BIOS, and choose Integrated Peripherals, OnChip IDE Deivice (or simliar) until you find the settings for IDE Devices. Simply change all the Primary/Secondary Master PIO setting from Auto to Mode-4. There should also be simliar settings which read Primary/Master UDMA, and change those from Auto to Disabled. This is simply for future reference when you do get into 200FSB speeds. If it were a HDD related or Windows file related problem. You'd be getting BSOD's which read "Configsys file missing or corrupted" and/or "Insert System Disc, press R at first screen..." either after posting, or into Windows second start-up screen. 

What did you raise the VDIMM or VDDR to? Default should be 2.5V, and usually OCZ doesn't take much, voltage; however, in the PC2700 case, you may need to try 2.7V to 2.8V to start. Also which DIMM is the memory populating? This is also important?

Last edited by Liquid3D; 11th February, 2003 at 11:42 PM.
Old 18th February, 2003, 07:23 PM

sorrry guyz for not posting been afk for a few dayzZZz

memory is faulty tnx to ocz ill be sending it back ill let you guyz know if the new stuff works well