AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th February, 2003, 07:06 PM

How does Mushkin rate?

How is their stuff for OCin? Does anybody here use it? What have been your experiences with it?
Old 16th February, 2003, 07:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Before I became aware of Crucial, Memory-Man and Mushkin were the only game in town if you wanted to be sure that you'd buy high quality RAM. This was a few years ago. Mushkin stood alone in describing their RAM accurately, all the way down to internal timings.

After ordering a few RAM modules(and WYSIWYG) from Mushkin over time, I received a stick of PC-133 from them that wasn't precisely what it was advertised to be. The difference from what was advertised was very small. Nonetheless, 3 Mhz of FSB is 3 Mhz.

I beeahtched about this on a popular forum. Eventually, Bill Mushkin responded to my gripe. He offered to give me a better memory stick than the one I'd bought in exchange for the one they had shipped me. I didn't wish to profit from what I saw as taking an unfair advantage of the situation.

This was the first time that Mushkin didn't ship me precisely what they said they would. Funny, I haven't ordered from Mushkin since then. To be fair, their Web page folks were probably not told that they ran out of the RAM that I ordered until after the transaction.

RAM was unbelievably expensive back then, I have a 64 Mb stick of SEC PC-133 that I bought from Mushkin ages ago. It set me back $90, incl shipping.

Thankfully, lots of other outfits sell good RAM nowadays. I think that Samsung and Crucial PC-2700 work on almost every mainboard. AFAIK, the JEDEC folks still don't have a standard for faster RAM yet. Time for them to pull the finger out!
Old 16th February, 2003, 08:50 PM

I have a pair of their 512MB High Performance Level 2 DDR sticks on my 8K3A+. I run them up to 185Mhz FSB at 2-2-5-2 and up to about 210Mhz with relaxed timings. Rock stable.

If you want to see how they stack up against OCZ and Corsair, check out this article.
Old 16th February, 2003, 10:37 PM

Thanks.

Hehe. Read the article, then emailed the author to ask if he was planning on doing an update.