AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st March, 2003, 02:15 AM

Unhappy Memory Configurations??

I've been trying to decide which type of ram to get. Was going to get Corsair based on name/brand recognition only and have been reading good things now about twinmos.

Forgetting brands for a moment, i went to twinmos site and found 6 choices for 256mb cipsets. Does anyone know the differences or advantages for any of these setups.
Sorry about the long list. a copy/paste off a table on their site.

256MB------------256MB-----------256MB

16Mx8 (x16)-----16Mx16 (x8)----32Mx8 (x8)

DDR SDRAM------DDR SDRAM-----DDR SDRAM

non-ECC----------non-ECC---------non-ECC

256MB-----------256MB------------256MB

16Mx8 (x18)----16Mx16 (x10)---32Mx8 (x9)

DDR SDRAM-----DDR SDRAM------DDR SDRAM

ECC---------------ECC----------------ECC

Thank You for your help!
Old 1st March, 2003, 06:40 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

ECC RAM is only of use in Servers. Otherwise, it should be avoided.

I dunno what difference the internal organization of DIMM's makes, ie "16 Mb x 8," or "32 Mb x 8." This doesn't seem to be of any importance.

I've read a few not so good things about Corsair. Remember that no JEDEC standard exists for PC-3200 and faster DDR. This means that there is no standard way that motherboards handle faster than PC-333, aka PC-2700 RAM, either.

Most nForce and all nForce2 chipsetted mainboards benefit from dual-channel DDR. This means that two 256 Mb DIMM's work better than a single 512 Mb DIMM. The Corsair "bookmatched" DDR DIMM's rate highly for nForce2 mainboards. They should, they're expensive.

Samsung and Crucial DIMM's are accepted by nearly every mainboard.
Old 1st March, 2003, 06:52 AM

Thank you for the reply. I am only wondering about the ram config, due to some large swings in prices i've seen for some ram on the net. I know that the CAS latency is part of this price differential (even though i have no idea what it is other than it has something to do with timing, lower the better), was just wondering if there is another internal spec, that i should look for when i'm choosing the stick and two sites are $10-20 apart on price.
Old 12th March, 2003, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I've read a few not so good things about Corsair
Quote:
The Corsair "bookmatched" DDR DIMM's rate highly for nForce2 mainboards.
Well which one is it?
Where did you read anything bad about Corsair?
You can't beat the Twin XMS512PC3200LL modules.
Much more pricey than other Ram, yes. Worth the
difference? If you have the $$$, I think so.
Old 13th March, 2003, 06:12 PM

Let me guess: you once bought a stick of TwinMOS which didn't perform to your expectations, while a friend of yours once bought TwinMOS w/ Winbond and it performed well - or something like that? Hence your bombastic, but faulty, observations above.

It would be SO nice if people actually said on what basis they spout off BS, so that others who know nothing about a subject have a basis for rejecting or accepting the opinion in question.

FYI, a search on the net will turn up quite a few generally very favourable reviews of TwinMOS memory. TwinMOS make excellent quality memory and while it may not generally perform quite as good as Corsair, Mushkin or other hypertweaked modules (although sometimes it does), nor does it carry the ridiculous, overhyped pricetags either. In fact, it can generally be picked up for only slightly more than generic modules. So, while it may not be THE fastest RAM around, it'll certainly give you more bang for the buck than anything else.

Agrippa
Old 13th March, 2003, 08:28 PM

You're not my enemy in any case, just someone who posts faulty observations without attempting to back them up with facts. One of an altogether too numerous breed.

Agrippa
Old 13th March, 2003, 09:46 PM

OK, Ive deleted the post.

Sorry,

Craig

EDIT - As well as my comments on TwinMOS memory in other threads in this section of the forum

Last edited by CCW; 13th March, 2003 at 09:50 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!