AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th March, 2003, 04:25 AM

PSU Problem

Help! I had a Power Supply burn out in my computer and replaced it with a 400W ATX CompUSA model that is P4 compatible. I get everything hooked up, plug it in, hit the button and nothing. So, after I double check the connections and the switch on the unit I try again, still nothing. Back to CompUSA to exchange the unit for another. Come back and install it, still the same thing. I swapped out the mb and still nothing. I currently have a ECS P4VXASD2 with a 1.6ghz P4 CPU. I'm not sure what the first board was (was not the original buyer) and haven't done the research yet. Any ideas?
Old 16th March, 2003, 05:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Invalid

the only thing i can think of is either u aint pluggin it in at the mains...or you will just have to check each piece of hardware individually...theres no real easy way of dooing it with the PSU...i would have originally though the motherboard would be the culprit...but when a PSU goes its likely to take other things with it

Ross
Old 16th March, 2003, 07:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Why not remove all of the components from the mainboard except these: 1 stick RAM, Vidcard and CPU. If the machine POST's successfully, most of the battle is behind you.

After POSTing, you'll see a screen full of annoying "11111's" or maybe it's "000000's" or "101010's." This just means that the mobo can't find a floppy and hard drive.

Bad power supplies can wreck components. I hope that your's didn't!
Old 17th March, 2003, 05:00 AM

Ok, tried your suggestion and the system powered up but did not POST. I think the BIOS may be gone so I'm going to try another mobo. I found something else out too. When I plugged in all the other components, one at a time, the system would not power up after I plugged in the hard drive, any ideas about that type of problem?
Old 17th March, 2003, 05:50 AM
AOA Staff

the hard drive may have shorted out , and the CPU or ram might be bad and keeping it from posting, I doubt its the new board
Old 19th March, 2003, 04:24 AM

Ok, the system is up and running. The video card was fine after I tested it in another system. I put a old 850mb drive in and it works fine. I tested the original drive in another system and experience the same result no power up. The drive is a 40 Gb Seagate Model ST340810A, the faulty PSU must have fried it. Thanks for the help.
Old 19th March, 2003, 04:27 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, AbnCrazy!

Sorry that you lost the Seagate. The good news is that a replacement isn't too expensive. I think that the Barracuda IV's have decent performance. The Seagate IDE Barracuda's prior to the IV's are slow. Yet bullet proof. I hope!