AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st April, 2003, 02:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to CaesaR

Video Capture Programs

Im currently using Microsoft Vidcap... I'm noticing that the picture i get looks....umm interlaced would be the best way to describe it. But it only happens when something Fast happens on the screen. Im thinking it COULD be because im using A/V inputs(red, white & yellow) and im considering buying S-Video cables for my Xbox(thats what im using my Video in for) but before i spend 40$ i need to know, is it just the assy picture quality caused by a/v or is it a crappy program, and if its the prog could someone reccomend a good prog for capture

Idealy i'd like something where i could preview the video for playing console games(i.e. vidcap) and for NOT *wink wink* bootlegging DVDs off my Xbox
120gig 7200RPM 8meg Cache
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2003, 03:08 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I regularly rip video through my firewire port... sorry to say, I still haven't been able to figure out how to avoid that effect with fast motion... really sucks... I've tried demo versions of every program there is, and it still shows up.. Personally, I think it is a limitation of current technology.... or my ignorance. if you figure it out, please share with me. I've got about a dozen DV tape home movies I'd love to re-rip.
Old 1st April, 2003, 03:29 AM

I think its coz of the a/v imput and not S-Video but whatever.

My next question is how do i use TV-Out ? I have a TON of duckman(funniest.....show....EVAR) episodes i'd liek to see on the bigger screen.
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2003, 10:55 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Err, they look interlaced, because they are! Standard TV transmission/Video/DVD/miniDV are interlaced. Only progressive scan TV/DVD are non-interlaced.

Any analog video capture card will capture in interlaced - that's because that's all analog currently supports. For digital connections (such as firewire), the source material needs to be in progressive scan mode as well.

SteveI - check to see if your camcorder can record processive. If not, then you're stuck with interlace.

Áedán
Old 1st April, 2003, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaesaR
I think its coz of the a/v imput and not S-Video but whatever.

My next question is how do i use TV-Out ? I have a TON of duckman(funniest.....show....EVAR) episodes i'd liek to see on the bigger screen.
Composite and S-Video are both interlaced. Basically, just about every consumer analog format is interlaced.

TV-Out? Typically, this is set in the drivers. You need to have the output device actually connected to the card before you can set it up. If you're playing stuff like video, you may well be able to set the second monitor to display the video stream fullscreen.

Áedán
Old 1st April, 2003, 04:17 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Áedán
...SteveI - check to see if your camcorder can record processive. If not, then you're stuck with interlace.

Áedán
THanks Aedan,
I have a bad feeling my corder won't have the feature... but I'll check tonight. I've already gone through the settings at least a dozen times trying to learn how to best use it. Honestly, I've been a bit dissapointed with the quality... except under the best lighting conditions, the picture looks a bit grainy or worse. Only when viewing on the lcd, does the picture look good.

It's a sony TRV 17.
Old 1st April, 2003, 08:41 PM

Hmm.. The TRV17 is supposed to have a progressive shutter system. From what I understand, this is not the same as progressive scan. Apparently camcorder manufacturers had problems with people not understanding what progressive scan was. Hence, they left it as a feature on the higher end camcorders.

One page that seems to be pretty good in this area (explains interlace, how deinterlacing can be achieved etc) is 100fps. Take a look, as you might be able to do something with your interlaced video. On the other hand, if it's only going to be shown on a TV, you don't need to worry about deinterlacing.

Áedán
Old 1st April, 2003, 08:58 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Thanks again Aedan,
I'll have to take another look at that link when I have time.
With my sony... I used to rip to divx and save to CDs for viewing on my PC's.... But now, I've invested in a sony DVD burner.

I tried calling sony's tech support, and asked what was wrong with my DVD burner when I burn "fast action".... Their response was "it's the DV camcorder's fault" ... So I told them the model, and of course it was something else's fault. ... Well, I gave up hope.. Seems like while I can't correct it completely, the link will be very useful in obtaining information, and maybe improving the picture a bit.

Edit: CaesaR, sorry for hijacking your thread.. but Aedan's link may help you with your videos too.

Last edited by SteveI; 1st April, 2003 at 09:00 PM.
Old 1st April, 2003, 10:41 PM

Programs have to be very careful to keep the field order correct. One or two capture cards have been known for getting to the order wrong. When you play back video that's had it's even and odd fields swapped, it looks disturbingly odd.

Can you tell I've had a few negative experiences here?

Áedán
Old 2nd April, 2003, 12:26 AM

Áedán,
Would it be worth the 40$ to get a S-Video hookup for my Xbox..............i can only use it on my comp becoz my TV dosnt have Svideo........ but QUALITY wise is it worth it.

Gimmie a sec and i'll EDIT in a screenshot
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Old 2nd April, 2003, 02:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Áedán - Have you messed with TV Tuners at all? I need to find proper drivers and a runtime program for mine that works under WinXP..

CaesaR - I think that the SVideo is worth it. I use it for my PS2 on my Sony Wega TV, and on my TV Tuner card (SVideo in port).. Looks better then Yellow video, IMO
Old 2nd April, 2003, 03:32 PM

S-Video will give you a clearer picture with less colour smearing. However, if your problem is the interlace, S-Video won't help at all. I'll knock up an SVideo lead for my GC later and try and take some screenshots both ways.

Personally, I prefer RGB, but it's hard to find a video capture card that works in RGB.

Áedán
Old 2nd April, 2003, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
Áedán - Have you messed with TV Tuners at all? I need to find proper drivers and a runtime program for mine that works under WinXP..
I've not done that much with TV Tuners. It does depend on what chip and what tuner the manufacturer used. If you can find that info out, then you're on the way.

As far as Composite, S-Video and RGB goes, the preference is in that order. Of course, being European, my TV has a SCART socket that'll accept all three.

Áedán
Old 3rd April, 2003, 06:52 PM

The two comparison images, Composite Vs SVideo can be found here:

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showt...&postid=170362

This illustrates the difference between the quality of Composite and the quality of SVideo.

Áedán