AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th April, 2003, 05:09 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

What's the best RAM for this system?

I am going to be purchasing an nForce2 MoBo and AthlonXP CPU. I want to know what is the best ram to use.

I had planned on useing a 512mb stick of Corsair XMS3500 C2. However, I have been ot of the techno geek loop for several weeks now.

I know people are going to tell me to use 2 stick in order to gain the advantages of the dual DDR controller. But in benchmarks this only seems to give a small performance boost and I will be looking for a maximum FSB (which may be easier to achieve with 1 stick of ram).

So what is currently the best single stick of 512 RAM that I can purchase?

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th April, 2003, 06:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This may depend on the brand and model of the mainboard. As a general rule, Samsung and Crucial DDR work on most motherboards.
Old 7th April, 2003, 08:47 PM

I use samsung. The price of their PC2700 has halved recently (in U.K at least) and you can get a seriously good overclock out of them.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th April, 2003, 09:54 PM
Member/Contributer

I know that Holst is very happy with his Winbond/Twinmos sticks...
Old 9th April, 2003, 10:51 PM

I'm an OCZ Technology user, if you visit my website; http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4y8k9/  there's screenshots of my overclock of OCZ's early PC3200, that was using a Epox 8K9A. And (if the my edited version is on yet, my ISP has been troubled) on the second page is some spec's using OCZ EL-PC3700 in Dual DDR mode on my 8RDA. There's much more then a "small" difference between Dual DDR and , memory bus. Dual DDR is 128-bit prima facie. And the excerpt below from OCPrices DDR round-up is but one reason why. It uses the least amount of VDDR of any memory I've used including Corsair, Twinmos, Kingston, Kingmax, and Samsung. If I were to chose an overclocker's memory OCZ would be my choice with Corsair second, and I do respect everyone's opinion, because just as CPU's go through phases where production steppings are much better then average, so does memory. Certain steppings of Samsung were used in early OCZ to the best of my knowledge, as it was used in many a manufacturer's high-performance memory lines. High performance memory manufactuers who do not manufacture in-house (which is about 95%) simply search for the best steppings, at the least expensive price point. Here's some link's for which for comparison (for simplicity's sake I linked you to the conclusion pages): http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=492&page=7 and http://www.gamingin3d.com/reviews/ocz_ddr/ and in reference to the clip below; http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?re...action=reviews

Attached Thumbnails
What's the best RAM for this system?-ocz.gif  

Last edited by Liquid3D; 19th April, 2003 at 04:48 AM.