AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th April, 2003, 07:14 PM

Lightbulb 133 drive on 100 controller

I have a maxtor diamond max9 ATA133 harddrive on am onboard ATA100 controller (Epox-8k7a) As the drive is faster than the controller does this mean it will handle out of spec PCI speeds better? I.E i want to run 166Mhz bus i know my memory can take it i just dont want to damage the harddrive. I tried it and it worked fine and booted into windows but im just thinking long term.
Old 19th April, 2003, 08:41 PM

i don't see a problem. ata 133 isn't that big a deal anyways.
Old 19th April, 2003, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by N.V.M.
i don't see a problem. ata 133 isn't that big a deal anyways.
Oh yeah I know there isnt much of an improvement performance wise going from ATA-100 to 133, but im talking overclocking and the affect on the harddrive when there is a ATA-133 drive involved i.e. i want to know if the drive can handle the out of spec speeds better as it is an ATA133 drive not 100
Old 20th April, 2003, 08:45 PM

I think that's the theory. The controller effectively runs like one multiplier notch lower than the HD. So increasing the FSB means the speed of th ATA100 goes up but still remains lower than ATA133 specification of the drive. So the drive should be able to cope with higher FSBs under that setup but I suppose corruption could originate at the IDE controller if its only ment for ATA100, I don't know whether that would affect the drive or not.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!