AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th April, 2003, 05:33 PM

Photo Printer?

I have an HP 672C and it's a good workhorse. It's just not much of a photo grade printer.
I've looked at the HP Photosmart 7550and the Epson Stylus Photo 960. Anybody got some input?
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th April, 2003, 06:05 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Sorry, I haven't had much experiance with those printers. But I can tell you, HP makes some really good products. I work on same HP printer about once every couple/few years. They are strong and reliable. (well, the b/w ones anyway)

I just have this to add, if you plan on doing pictures make sure you use the ultra bright white paper. ( at least 90+ whiteness or 110) The whiter the paper, the better the picture will look. (trust me, if you REALLY want me to explain it I will)

Hope that helps. Remember you can get a REALLY good deal on printer ink at the computer shows. Inks that cost $35 at Wal-mart usually only cost about $17 at the show.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th April, 2003, 06:14 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

How important is longitivity for your prints? Dye based inks generally have a vastly shorter lifetime than pigment based inks, especially when exposed to sunlight.

Pigment based inks however, do not work wonderfully well on glossy paper, as they sit on the surface, rather than soak in. You tend to end up with patches that are less glossy where the printer has printed

I'm still running my Epson Photo 870 (dye based, non-epson inks), which turns out some good prints. However, be aware, if you use third party inks, there will be colour shifts due to the fact that the inks are slightly different. The best way to correct this is to purchase calibration software/hardware, as it's generally NOT a task you can do from the printer's control panel.

The "cheap" third party inks are rarely that good with longitivity or colour matching with the originals. If you don't care too much about the colours on your pictures (IE, the average snapper), then you probably won't care so much about the colour shift. If you're doing work semi-professionally (or you just happen to be pedantic about such things, like me!) then these shifts will cause you so much aggrivation, it won't be worth buying third party inks.

I also spent a bit chunk of money on a continous inking system, that vastly reduced my printing costs. This is especially with other people printing a large number of full colour A4 pages.

Áedán
Old 20th April, 2003, 06:36 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

One thing I've noticed on HP inkjets.. I was very dissapointed with my 712, until I told the driver I was using photo paper... HP decided consumers were too stupid to understand DPI, and instead let's the consumer pick paper quality.

Try setting up the driver for photo paper, regardless of stock, and see if the output imroves. I recently upgraded to the HP5550, and it works fine too, just faster.
Old 22nd April, 2003, 08:41 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

I've never had any problems with HP and I've gone through about half a dozen printers over the last 4 years, including Epson and Canon. My vote would be for the 7550 and, as Áedán says, go for quality ink cartridges. The cheapos just aren't worth it when you compare the out put side by side. Just a small point but the HP have also tended to be quieter.

Having said that I haven't used any of the new generation Inkjets so its just a preference based on past experience.
Old 2nd May, 2003, 03:35 AM

OK! I ordered the 7500 from New Egg yesterday. $284 and free shipping. Wahoo. It's our anniversary present. I must be married to a geek!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 2nd May, 2003, 05:16 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
OK! I ordered the 7500 from New Egg yesterday. $284 and free shipping. Wahoo. It's our anniversary present. I must be married to a geek!
UB.... please tell me this isn't a surprise gift for the wife.

'cause if it is, I think you're in trouble...
Old 2nd May, 2003, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

UB.... please tell me this isn't a surprise gift for the wife.

'cause if it is, I think you're in trouble...
Boy, no kiddin! No, she actually suggested it! I was putting together a PC for my sister ( story is here) and I was asking her if she thought if I should get her a printer as well. She said: "Why don't we get a new one for our Anniversary?" You could have knocked me over with a feather. You see, I always "mull over" a purchase like a $300 printer, especially when I have a printer already, but she had no way of knowing I was looking around.

Actually I'm getting her something different for our anniversary...antique jewlery..but I won't think about it...she must be reading my mind! (a short story if there ever was one)