AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th June, 2003, 06:20 PM

2cd-rom, 2 HD setup help

I have 1 cd-rw, 1-dvd, 1-30gb hd, and 1-80gb hd.

I want to connect those 4 devices to 2 IDE connection.

What would be the fastest setting??

Thanks,
seungm81
Old 20th June, 2003, 06:43 PM
Member/Contributer

I'm sure there will be someone who will differ but I would set it up like....

IDE1: Primary - H/D with O/S * Secondary - DVD

IDE2: Primary - CD-RW * Secondary Other H/D

You want your CD-RW and your CDR on separate IDE channels and you want your CD-RW as a primary. This is for doing Disk copy reasons. If you are trying to copy a disk you don't want the signal running up and down the same IDE channel.
----------------------------------------------

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th June, 2003, 07:08 PM

I see what you mean, thanks for reply.
I have an additional question to your reply (southern man).

On IDE1, can i set it up like this, and still boot up???
IDE1: Primary - DVD * Secondary - H/D with O/S

the reason i want to do this way is, because the size of case, and lenth limitation of IDE cable.

Thanks so much...
seungm81

PS, what is the reason to have CD-RW on primary and HD on secondary on IDE2, if there's any reason at all?
Old 20th June, 2003, 07:38 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by seungm81
I see what you mean, thanks for reply.
I have an additional question to your reply (southern man).

On IDE1, can i set it up like this, and still boot up???
IDE1: Primary - DVD * Secondary - H/D with O/S

the reason i want to do this way is, because the size of case, and lenth limitation of IDE cable.

Thanks so much...
seungm81

PS, what is the reason to have CD-RW on primary and HD on secondary on IDE2, if there's any reason at all?
I've never tried setting it up with the H/D with the O/S on the secondary of IDE1. I have to assume that it could be done but I'm sure there are reasons to have it set on Primary. You could try it. A lot of people with dual boot systems probably do have their "other" OS on a secondary/slave drive. Just make sure you set the bios to boot from whatever IDE channel that the OS is on.

The CD-RW deal is just my experience. I have run them as secondary but they usually run into problems. I have just read many times that the CD-RW was SUPPOSED to be set as master but never an explanation as to why.

Maybe Aedian will jump in here and explain this.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th June, 2003, 08:10 PM
Member/Contributer

I did a little looking around about the Master / Slave deal with the CD-RW. From what I can find, which wasn't much, if you have a "Burn Proof" setup you really don't have to worry where the burner is. This applies to running them on the same cable as well.

This doesn't answer the question as to why it is important if you don't have a "Burn Proof" writer why the position is important but it may get you past your setup problems if you are running a "Burn Proof" writer.

Old 20th June, 2003, 08:13 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Lemme see...

The biggest problem with an IDE interface is that you can have two devices on it, but only one device can be active at a time. The other device on the cable can't be accessed until the first one finishes whatever it's doing.

So, if you put the two hard disks on the same channel, and the two optical drives on their channel... You'd have problems with contentions between the two optical drives, and the two hard disks. Not idea.

The alternative... putting an optical drive with a hard disk can also cause problems with the hard disk operating at slower speeds. Mind you, this shouldn't really happen any longer, but things are usually never as they seem!

So, either way around you'll hit one problem or another in terms of performance. Ideally, you'd have 4 IDE interfaces!

All this is why I moved to a dual channel SCSI system. Less config problems, one IRQ for 28 devices, no problems with contention between devices.

In terms of putting the hard disk as a secondary, I'd have to ask "Why?". It may work, depending on the machine and it's BIOS.

Áedán
Old 20th June, 2003, 08:23 PM

The reason I said i want to up OS HD as secondary is following.

I have full tower, and i have epox 8rda+. The 8rda+'s IDE connection is at the bottom of the case, and HD/CD-ROM connection is middle/top of the case. Also for ata100/133, master has to be at the end, and slave is at the middle, and system connection is at the other end.
Therefore, 18inch cable isn't long enough to go from middle of case (where the HD is), then to the top (where CD_rom is) and back to bottom of case (where system connection is).

If you can think of any good suggestion on how to set it up. Please let me know.

seungm81

PS i have antec 1080 case
Old 20th June, 2003, 08:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You might get a promise (or other manufacturer's) ATA 133 PCI card for your Hard drives and give the IDEs to your optical drives.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 20th June, 2003, 09:43 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I see your dilemna...
My solution is to use mobos with raid, and/or PCI controller cards.

Whenever possible I avoid using master/slave, and try to keep each drive dedicated to it's own channel. This was easy with my AT7... 4 HDDs DVDRW, and DVDROM.

With my current set up, my SATA didn't want to cooperate. So I had to use a PCI ATA133 card.

Back to your question about slave boot device... not a problem.. When you go into the bios to select, just choose HDD1. This is slave drive on IDE channel 1.

For HDDs in the boot the translation is as follows:
HDD0 = IDE channel 1, master
HDD1 = IDE channel 1, slave
HDD2 = IDE channel 2, master
HDD3 = IDE channel 2, slave.

I suggest you try it any way you like. If you don't notice performance problems, it's fine. Benches are just for show.

Also, regarding Burnproof.... it's great at avoiding coasters, but I I just don't like delays and lags when burning... To be perfectly honest, I like when a 4 minute burn takes only 4 minutes.... Any time wasted is annoying, and makes me nervous.
Old 21st June, 2003, 12:41 AM

Great! I think i will just go with buying a IDE controller from ebay or somewhere.
Thank you sooo much.
also, i think i will post up a question about which IDE controller would be a good one, so if you have time, please take a look at that one as well.

Thank you again, you guys are great!!
seungm81