AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd June, 2003, 03:43 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I think I may have messed up my new HD.

I got this new HD. I used Drive Image to copy my current HD. When it was finished, the new HD wouldn't boot. If I boot off of another disk, I can access the data on it, but I can't get the thing to boot. I keep getting "Error loading OS." So I formatted it with NTFS using my WinXP disk, but when the OS finishes installing, I get the exact same error. I presume I did something to mess up the boot sector on the disk. Does anyone know how to fix this?

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd June, 2003, 04:21 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I remember doing the same thing way back... I remember putzing with it a lot, but in the end, the drive was ok...
First, did you quick format?

Try getting to a dos prompt and do a scandisk or chkdsk.

Which hdd? the 160gb? which system the 8rda+?

When I had my problem it was with 2 40gb's (dif brands) so I didn't have the issues associated with big drives.
Old 22nd June, 2003, 04:40 PM
AOA Staff

fdisk/mbr
Old 22nd June, 2003, 05:37 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

"Error Loading OS" doesn't sound like a Windows error message. That would suggest that the bootsector on the hard disk is not there!

When you copied the data across, did you copy the disk verbatim, or did you just copy the partition? The other question would be if you had the Bootsector protection turned on in the BIOS?

Áedán
Old 22nd June, 2003, 05:44 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
fdisk/mbr
If the MBR needs fdisking the rest of the HDD will, too. I always fdisk/partition a brand new drive or a HDD that pre-dates a brand new mobo. Dunno how folks think they can avoid this, TBH. I'm just too old-school. Sigh. Not all is lost, you can still copy what you want from the old HDD to the new one. Just not the OS. Ghost et al do not always work right.
Old 18th July, 2003, 01:18 PM

Nod..

The (M)aster (B)oot (R)ecord isn't created on this new drive, thus your computer doesn't know how to start it up per-se. Just reitterating the fact
AMD 2100+ XP::Week 48 (AIUHB)::191x11@2101Mhz//EPoX 8RDA+//Corsair PC3500XMS 256x2(512Mb)@386mhz::4-2-2-2(Cas)//MSI Geforce 4 Ti4200 128Mb *Stock*//60GB Maxtor UATA-133//19" CTX//Altec Lansing 2100//Volcano 9 HS--ThermalTake SmartFan II@4800rpms::77Cfm//Temps:: (34C)Idle (38C)Load
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!