AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st December, 2001, 01:15 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

Question Quick Question...need quick answer...

I'm helping my sister in law with her computer....she's got a gateway...p4 1.5 gig, no clue what motherboard....but, I installed a stick of 128mb ram, it's not detecting it...do I need to enable it in the bios? and how the heck do I get to the bios?? I've tried f8, del, and ah..can't remember what else...all to no avail....help!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st December, 2001, 01:21 AM
eobard

Not sure on memory dealie, as for bios access I suggest you try the "F1", "F2" or "Esc" keys. Or just hold down any key until you get a keyboard error and then a mini menu should tell you which key to press to enter bios and correct the error. OR email Gateway for an answer (mind you that won't be quick, but the odds are 50/50 they'll actually be able to help you).

Hope one of those helps.
Old 21st December, 2001, 01:42 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

the "insert" key will sometimes work as well, Are you glad we have standardization!?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st December, 2001, 01:55 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If it's rdram, don't they have to be installed in pairs or some sort of dummy thingy to match it into a pair? Sorry, I don't think I make sense.
Old 21st December, 2001, 02:17 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

For BIOS, I've seen Alt+F1 and Alt+F8. Also, try Alt+Delete...

Heck try Alt+everything. Whenever I deal with proprietary mbs, it always ends up Alt + "sumthin funky"

Last edited by SteveI; 21st December, 2001 at 02:43 AM.
Old 21st December, 2001, 04:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

If its gateway, I'm pretty sure they'll give you no more than SDRAM, but check what kind it is anyway...

There is a chance of the memory bank being disabled in bios so I guess you can continue trying getting into it.

and if you can, at least please give us the model of the computer, so we can look it up on their site.
Old 21st December, 2001, 05:00 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

it was f1
ram simply will not be recognized...Glen is going over there to take a look at it...I don't have too much experience screwing with bios, so, I'd rather not, because, it's not very obvious to me what needs to be done....I don't mind screwing with my own, I've had Glen walk me through it several times....
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!