AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd July, 2003, 03:36 PM

How do I get 5 drives working on my board?

Hi I have an Epox 8K5A2+ with RAID controller.

With the RAID controller driver installed I put two HDs on separate cables to IDE 3 and IDE 4 both set as Master.
I put the CDRW and DVD on IDE 1 and CDR on IDE 2. The PC wouldn't boot up so I entered the BIOS and changed Onboard PCI Device>High Point IDE RAID>AUTO to ENABLED.
Rebooting caused a Windows system file : c:\windows\system32\config\system to become corrupt. I've since reinstalled a preivous version using the Windows Repair Console, booting from the CDR (now back on IDE 2) and the HD on IDE1.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated as I'm beginning to think you can't run 2 HDs and 3 CDs on an Epox board.
I have 2 HDs and 3 CDs (CDR/CDRW/DVD).
Can anyone give me simple step-by-step instructions on how to set this up without crashing my system, corrupting files or cooking the hard drives?
My system for your reference:
Epox 8K5A2+
AMD 1800
768MB DDR RAM
40GB IDE HD (single cable)
60GB SCSI HD (single cable)
CDR (single cable)
CDRW (shared cable)
DVD (shared cable)
WinXP Pro
Old 23rd July, 2003, 04:09 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Let's see, first, what brand of HDDs are you using?
Second, what is the bios version for your mobo... From that, you can identify the bios version of the RAID controller you are using.... from that, you can look up the correct RAID drivers you should be using. This is important if you have flashed the bios at all. If you have a newer bios, but are attempting to use the drivers that came with the mobo, you could have problems.

The steps you took sound correct. Given the present setup, make sure you have the correct drivers for your RAID controller and that they are working properly in device manager.

Shut down, and swap the drives around, then on boot up: first go into the mobo bios. Make sure the RAID controller is enabled (it should be already).. Then set it to be the first boot device. Then, go into the RAID bios... make sure the hdd to boot is configured correctly and enabled to boot.... Then let it load into Windows.

BTW, what controller are you using for the SCSI? and which slot is it in?

My first guess is that you are trying to run an old driver with a newer bios... Good luck.
Old 24th July, 2003, 01:02 AM

Hi SteveI
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the latest RAID controller from the Epox site as I had flashed the BIOS just after I installed it.

The controller is now working in Windows.
I have now booted with the 2 HDs (Maxtor, the 40gb ide boot drive, and Seagate 60gb scsi) on IDE 1 and 2.
Setting them both to Master causes the PC to freeze upon boot so I can't even access the BIOS.
Setting the boot to Master and Seagate to Slave works ok. The Seagate appears as secondary slave. I have the CD player on IDE 3 as a slave.
The CDRW and DVD are on the same cable but again it wont boot up after the memory check when these are connected. I have tried leaving both (on the same cable) as slaves and with the top drive (on the cable) as master and the other slave:
r--CDRW (Master)
|
|--DVD (Slave)
|
L--IDE 4

Just to recap:
RAID controller works in Windows
40gb IDE Maxtor boots as primary master
60gb SCSI Seagate boots as secondary slave
CDR doesn't appear in BIOS but works in windows
CDRW & DVD won't allow BIOS to boot
Old 24th July, 2003, 01:07 AM

Correction:
Windows recognised the CDR on a previous reboot with a different config.
Currently it is not recognised in the BIOS or by Windows.
Old 24th July, 2003, 02:17 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Dude.. First of all you can't run a SCSI hdd without a SCSI controller. If your seagate is really a scsi, take it out of your PC completely.

Next, if you have the right driver installed, do this, power down, disconnect all drives. Then connect the booting hdd to the first RAID connector. Go into bios, make sure the RAID controller is set as a boot device, then go into the RAID bios and make sure the drive is recognised and set as the boot device.... then go into windows.... Did that work?

If yes, power down again. Then connect the CD/DVD drives to the onboard IDE controllers. Make sure you are not putting them on the raid controller! Also, make sure the drives' pin settings are accurately set for master/ slave. Boot up, what does it look like now?

edit: the raid controller cannot handle ATAPI devices. It is only meant for HDDs. You have to have the CD/DVD on the onboard via southbridge controller IDE ports only.
Old 24th July, 2003, 02:23 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I have to ask..
Do you have a scsi controller?
Do you have a RAID card? or are you talking about the onboard raid?

If the seagate is being recognised while connected to IDE2... it is not a SCSI device.... It may show up as scsi in windows, but that's another topic altogether.
Old 24th July, 2003, 01:27 PM

I don't have a SCSI controller but now that you've asked I'm not convinced it's a SCSI drive. It doesn't say anything on the drive about being SCSI or IDE so I'll assume it's IDE.
I vaguely recall buying a faster drive many moons ago but it could well be a 7200rpm IDE.
I rebooted with just the one drive connected - when you say connected to the RAID controller I take you mean IDE 3 as it's the onboard ports I'm trying to use.
It didn't boot up anyway and there's no option for the boot device to be a RAID controller. I have Onboard PCI Device>High Point IDE RAID>Enabled but in advanced BIOS options there's just the standard options for boot device, floppy, scsi, HDD0, HDD1 etc.
I've tried the driver that came with the board and the latest driver from the Epox site but I've done that many things now I'm sure what I tried with each driver installed!
...and what do I need to do to get the option to boot from the RAID controller in the BIOS?

I thought this was a simple thing when I started out! lol
Old 24th July, 2003, 06:04 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenetmaker
I don't have a SCSI controller but now that you've asked I'm not convinced it's a SCSI drive. It doesn't say anything on the drive about being SCSI or IDE so I'll assume it's IDE.
I vaguely recall buying a faster drive many moons ago but it could well be a 7200rpm IDE.
I rebooted with just the one drive connected - when you say connected to the RAID controller I take you mean IDE 3 as it's the onboard ports I'm trying to use.
It didn't boot up anyway and there's no option for the boot device to be a RAID controller. I have Onboard PCI Device>High Point IDE RAID>Enabled but in advanced BIOS options there's just the standard options for boot device, floppy, scsi, HDD0, HDD1 etc.
I've tried the driver that came with the board and the latest driver from the Epox site but I've done that many things now I'm sure what I tried with each driver installed!
...and what do I need to do to get the option to boot from the RAID controller in the BIOS?

I thought this was a simple thing when I started out! lol
Winduhs will call IDE SCSI if the 'normal' IDE connections on the mainboard aren't being used. A IDE or IDE RAID Controller card that's on the PCI bus will be referred to as a SCSI Device.
SCSI hard drives often have as many as three separate "blocks" of pins that are used to denote puzzackly how the drive is to be addressed by a SCSI Host Adapter, aka Controller card. They take mini-jumpers, AFAIK. These are 1.0 millimeter rather than the 1.4 millimeter jumpers that are used on mainboards and on the back of IDE hard drives.

High quality data ribbons or rounded ribbons for use with SCSI are expensive. You'd know it if you had shelled out $30+ for a SCSI data cable.
Old 24th July, 2003, 06:45 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

SCAM... SCSI Configured AutoMagically, meaning no jumpers to set SCSI doesn't have a master/slave concept, it's got IDs instead. That's why you can get 15 devices on a SCSI bus all at once!

Windows treats IDE class devices differently from SCSI class devices. Hence, you'll find that most removable devices (including memory card adapters and the like) will be treated as SCSI.

Most RAID controllers will be identified as a SCSI miniport driver (IE SCSI class), as this best suits their abilities. Identification as an IDE device immediately cuts out hotswap and certain other features.

In terms of the boot device selection, "SCSI" usually means "other adapter", rather than strictly "SCSI".

Not that's really helpful to you...
Old 24th July, 2003, 07:33 PM

Cheers guys!
Well it's definitely an IDE so I have 2 IDE HDs.
Each on their own cable.
1 CDR on a cable
1 DVD & 1 CDRW on a cable.
At the moment only the floppy and 1 HD is plugged in. What do I do to run 2 HDs and the 3 CD drives?
MOBO is an EP-8K5A2+
1 Maxtor 40GB - boot drive with XP Pro
1 Seagate 60GB HD
Cheers!
Oh.. and keep it REALLY REALLY simple pleeease!
Ty.
Old 24th July, 2003, 09:44 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Ok... under boot options, if there is no choice for raid, then select SCSI... It will work..

Then take the HDD you want to boot with, stick it on IDE3, the other HDD on IDE4.

Then take the CD/DVD drives... stick them on IDE1 & 2.

As you boot, go into the raid bios, make sure the right hdd is set as the boot drive, and you should be all set.

Don't worry, you can figure this out... I used to have 4 hdds a CDRW & DVDRW all connected to a mobo. It will work, you just have to step through what is possible and what is not.

EDIT: once everything is recognised... there is a high probability that your drive letters are fubar.... you can always manually change the drive letters later... I hope you get to that situation soon.
Old 24th July, 2003, 10:08 PM

Cheers!
It's getting there - sort of!
The two HDs work on IDE 3 & 4, they don't appear at all in the BIOS but I can see them in the RAID Controller and WinXP starts fine. As soon as I connect anything to IDE 1 and 2 the PC hangs at boot. It won't pass Detecting IDE Devices... so I can't even enter the BIOS.
I've also taken off the jumpers from the 2 HDs.
The CD drives are thus:
CDR - slave (single cable)
CDRW - master (shared cable)
DVD - slave (shared cable)
I've set the boot to SCSI but it hasn't made a difference.
Old 25th July, 2003, 05:07 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

There's something goofy with at least one of your optical drives. Either a jumper on one is not set correctly, or you may had a bad drive. double check and triple check all cables too..

With the raid controller enabled, it should have no impact on the sb controller.