AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th August, 2003, 02:36 PM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 is this normal??

when i got the drive using the smart program to read the drives fittness it reads out at 55% then dropped to 54% then while formatting it dropped to 43%. is it normal for this drive to have such a low heathy figure and my raw read error rate and hardware eec recovered are very low bouncing between 50-61.

so shall i take the drive back and get a new one or is it a normal thing for this drive?
Old 11th August, 2003, 05:27 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioharry
when i got the drive using the smart program to read the drives fittness it reads out at 55% then dropped to 54% then while formatting it dropped to 43%. is it normal for this drive to have such a low heathy figure and my raw read error rate and hardware eec recovered are very low bouncing between 50-61.

so shall i take the drive back and get a new one or is it a normal thing for this drive?

Welcome to AOA Forums, bioharry!

Is this test intended to be run while the drive is being formatted? S.M.A.R.T. used to tell me that my HDD was going South on me when the drive was really OK, so I stopped using it long ago.

Why not go to www.aoaforums.com , then click "AOA Files" in the left sidebar? Then click "Utilities," then "Benchmarks."
There are two "attodiskbench.zip" files, try the most recent one. Turn S.M.A.R.T. off in BIOS before running the ATTO disk benchmark.

Tell us what your scores are, just the fastest ones, please. I have two Barricuda 4 HDD's, I'll be happy to tell you if your drive is OK if someone doesn't beat me to it. The Barracuda 4's were slow drives. Their claim to fame is that they are bullet proof.

Last edited by cloasters; 12th August, 2003 at 06:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th August, 2003, 01:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sheesh, I'm behind the times. Not that Seagate makes it real easy to compare the Barracuda IV's and the 7200.7's. Looks like the difference is in the improved Access time. Barracuda IV's were said to have 9.5 ms--but they're slower in real life.
Old 18th August, 2003, 10:49 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The 7200.7 drives apparently do some interesting things for the first little while. If what I've heard is true, they start to do some self calibration across the whole of the disk in the gaps when the OS isn't accessing it. (Gaps are 30seconds or larger apparently) However, if you power the disk down before it finishes scanning the surface, it has to restart from the beginning next time it's powered up.