AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th December, 2001, 11:20 PM

Compact Flash and Smart Media Cards?

Are compact flash cards and smart media cards the same thing, or compatible? Can I use a smart media card reader to read my compact flash cards, and can I use a compact flash card reader to read smart media cards? Or are the two exclusive to eachother?
Old 27th December, 2001, 12:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

no.

they both store stuff. minbaly used in cameras but in a different package.

the compact flash ones are a bit like memory cards in playsations. kinda hardwaring.

the smart media cards and bit like those 5 1/4 " floppy discs but really small. Quite floppy.

And they are not interchangable.
Old 27th December, 2001, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spode
no.

they both store stuff. minbaly used in cameras but in a different package.

the compact flash ones are a bit like memory cards in playsations. kinda hardwaring.

the smart media cards and bit like those 5 1/4 " floppy discs but really small. Quite floppy.

And they are not interchangable.
Blah. What I figured. Just didn't wanna go buy a really neat smart media reader to find it didn't work with my compact flash cards. Thanks, Spode.
Old 27th December, 2001, 12:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

I use a compact flash reader. But then I have an 128mb card so I need it!!

My boss uses a reader which has slots for BOTH. Perhaps look around for one of those?
Old 27th December, 2001, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spode
I use a compact flash reader. But then I have an 128mb card so I need it!!

My boss uses a reader which has slots for BOTH. Perhaps look around for one of those?
I really don't have a need for a smart media reader. But since my camera (HP 215) is a battery hog, I want to get a flash card reader, so I don't have to keep the camera on to download photos, and forget to turn it back off when I'm done.
Old 27th December, 2001, 10:11 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

SmartMedia (SM) and Compact Flash (CF) are definately not the same thing. I've got devices that use both (*sigh*), and picked up a reader that'll read both. It cost me about £30, so I guess that'd probably be around $30.

CompactFlash memory cards use a 50pin interface, which uses a standard IDE command set.

SmartMedia memory cards use a 22pin interface, which uses it's own memory bus.

Oh, they also look completely different. (:

I personally prefer CF, as there's no way you can come in contact with the physical contacts on the card. Less chance of killing them with static, and less chance of a poor contact due to dust/grease etc.

AidanII
Old 27th December, 2001, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

I really don't have a need for a smart media reader. But since my camera (HP 215) is a battery hog, I want to get a flash card reader, so I don't have to keep the camera on to download photos, and forget to turn it back off when I'm done.
My Cannon Power Shot A20 is also a battery hog, with a Zoom lense also, I use a a/c adapter when D/ling pics.

I to forget to turn it off

G/L
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th December, 2001, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lionfish
My Cannon Power Shot A20 is also a battery hog, with a Zoom lense also, I use a a/c adapter when D/ling pics.

I to forget to turn it off

G/L
Digicams are high-drain devices. It's no surprise that they rip through batteries. Reading some reviews, that was the only thing people complained about. <sigh> People can be so clueless sometimes.

I picked up a 64MB compact flash and reader for $60 at Best Buy. The 4MB CF that came with my camera won't work with the reader, because it's only for USB Enabled CF cards. But wah. I have a 64MB flash card now. What do I need a 4MB card for? I need to get some good lithium rechargable batteries now. Probably two sets, just so I can have a back up.

One thing that impressed me: the 215 came with a set of Energizer E^2 batteries. I was expecting bargain basement crap batteries like just about every consumer device comes with.
Old 28th December, 2001, 11:49 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I've never found 'AA' sized Li-Ion batteries that I considered to be reasonable value, never mind a battery pack that I'd put in my C3030Z. For those who don't know, Li-Ion batteries produce 3.6v rather than the 1.2v of Ni-MH or Ni-Cd.

So, I'm running 1.5Ah NiMH batteries in my C3030Z, which gets me easily over 80 shots in continuos use even with the LCD active. I've found that a decent delta slope charger is a must for good battery performance.

Li-Ion is nice, but requires much more careful control over how they're used!

AidanII
Old 31st December, 2001, 04:23 PM

I found a four-pack of Ni-MH AAs with a charger for $25. I figure the Ni-MHs should be cheaper, and I've not been able to find Li-ION AAs, so I'll just stick with the Ni-HMs.
Old 11th January, 2002, 09:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Temfate

You know you could always go buy a HP Photosmart printer that takes both; that is if you need a new printer .....

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!