AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th September, 2003, 10:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

Partitions with a RAID 0 set up?

I'm setting up 2 Raptors in a SATA RAID 0 configuration. I'm installing XP from scratch on a new install. I though I read a post where someone was talking about the wisdom of creating a partition on the drives and installing your OS on the partitions and your games and apps on the rest. Does this make any sense
for use in a RAID 0 set up? And if so, can anyone explain the logistics of doing this? Seems a bit complicated to me. MIke
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2003, 02:40 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

I'm curious as to why you'd want to use RAID at all. While RAID0 increases your sustained read and write speeds, very little of what a computer actually does involves sustained reading and writing. To me it would seem more logical to install XP onto one drive and have the second drive as storage for files etc - this lends some security against the "I've killed my OS and can't get to my files" scenario...
Old 10th September, 2003, 03:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
I'm curious as to why you'd want to use RAID at all. While RAID0 increases your sustained read and write speeds, very little of what a computer actually does involves sustained reading and writing. To me it would seem more logical to install XP onto one drive and have the second drive as storage for files etc - this lends some security against the "I've killed my OS and can't get to my files" scenario...
I had not really thought about that. I just hear people always saying the read/write times are like double in a raid 0 array with two drives. My plan was to game from that drive. Along the lines of what your saying, I would be curious to hear what others had to say about that when comparing benchmarks and so farth. You did give me and interesting thought though, what do you think?
Two Raptor drives. install a small partition on each of them with a copy of XP OS, then the balance of the drives would be used to strore games and apps. Non raid but taking advantage of the serial interface.
Advatage, using all the capacity of the drives, 2 x 37 gig. and having a redundant cc of the os so that if it got hosed on one drive, you could boot from the other. Your thoughts?? Mike
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2003, 03:39 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehandler
I had not really thought about that. I just hear people always saying the read/write times are like double in a raid 0 array with two drives.
This is only true for sustained reading and writing. Performance in a raid0 array is actually worse than for a single drive when reading and writing small files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehandler
Two Raptor drives. install a small partition on each of them with a copy of XP OS, then the balance of the drives would be used to strore games and apps. Non raid but taking advantage of the serial interface.
Advatage, using all the capacity of the drives, 2 x 37 gig. and having a redundant cc of the os so that if it got hosed on one drive, you could boot from the other. Your thoughts?? Mike
That's pretty much exactly what I do, but one OS is Win2k and the other Linux.

I have a non-matched pair of Seagates - one at 40GB is entirely devoted to Linux. The second is a 120GB monster, half of which is given over to 2k as an NTFS drive. The other half is further split into two FAT32 partitions (so that Linux has read/write access to them) which are used for backing up etc. The advantage there is that if both OS's die, my files can be got by just about any OS I happen to get working...