AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th December, 2001, 10:41 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Recommendation for a new cheap printer, please?

My 5 yo HP Deskjet 400 died. Can't complain, it was the BoL model when new. I'm told that the BoL models in HP's present line up ain't so good.

Can someone please recommend a sturdy ink jet printer for black text(color isn't important for me) that doesn't require ridiculously overpriced cartridges, will handle Linux, preferably can handle a parallel port and costs no more than $99.99, shipped? Thank you very much for your help!
Old 30th December, 2001, 11:17 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

I have one of those el cheapo Canon BJC-2000's and love it. It's like $50 and the cartridges are $3.50 a piece for knock-offs over the net or like $7 for real ones over the net.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th December, 2001, 11:37 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

We have an Epson 440...I really like it...I think Epson's are pretty inexpensive.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st December, 2001, 12:26 AM
Banned

My canon S400 is decent, but not for rwally high res stuff like photos, but good all-around color printer. Cartridges are cheap online too...
Old 31st December, 2001, 08:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to William Send a message via AIM to William

the Epson C60 seems to be a good printer and have been on sale periodically for $50. The Lexmark Z23 is supposed to be nice as well and goes on sell pretty often. I am partial to Epson.

Allied Sites Support Team - Content/Design (director)
Old 1st January, 2002, 08:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you all very much for your suggestions! So far, the Cannon S400 looks good.
Old 5th January, 2002, 06:05 AM

They are all ok...

I work for Canon, have been for the last 17 years, one thing I know for a fact when it comes to ink-jets, there are two things you want to think about when trying to buy your next printer. Other then to know that if you want good quality you have to spend good money, that's a no-brainer. The simple fact is that most of the $80-$100 (I'm talking CDN bucks here) printers are basically the same. You look for quality of output (dpi) and how much the damn cartridges cost! There is an Epson selling at CompuSmart for $49.00! Thats what, $30.00US, the colour prints look pretty good however you go to the cartridge rack and price out these things and they are $30.00US!!
The smart thing to do would be to buy about 5 of these printers and when the ink runs out, just throw it away. The world's first disposable printer, its like a razor for pete's sake.

My opinion is that get the printer that has decent output and the cheapest cartridges, period. End of story.

Btw, the S400 colour prints look alright but the biggest bonus is that the cartidges are among the cheapest of any manufacturer.

"Why do a single thing today, when tomorrow's surely out there. But the days they turn into years and still no tomorrow appears....

Last edited by martin; 5th January, 2002 at 06:07 AM.
Old 5th January, 2002, 07:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

I would say Canon too. Inexpensive, good printing quality, no big problems with cartridge replacements and survives the average user abuse too! (trust me on this one.)
Old 6th January, 2002, 05:38 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. The Epson 440 is long history, the Epson C60 is said to cost ten cents per b/w page, double for color.

Thinking about the Canon S300. I "accidently" bought a new Duron so that my new B box doesn't have to be a C550, this delays the new printer. Thanks again!