AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th October, 2003, 05:57 AM

Realtek AC '97 in Win98

I recently swapped motherboards on a Win98 machine, and even after loading the new drivers I get no sound. I can't select the audio device in multimedia either - any ideas? Reloading the OS is a last resort here.

DL
Old 30th October, 2003, 11:19 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

What's the motherboard in question?
Old 30th October, 2003, 04:47 PM

Mobo is a gigabyte 7VKMLS, Duron 1ghz.
Old 3rd November, 2003, 10:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

One of the ways to cause windows to self-destruct is a major change of hardware. If you changed motherboards and kept the same installation of windows you are doomed to a reinstall of the OS.

Do you mean that a mobo died and you swaped it out for the same one? If so then try uninstalling the sound drivers, delete the registry entries and reinstall the drivers.

Did you make sure that the onboard sound was enabled in bios and/or by jumper?

If you do indeed have it enabled and reinstalling windows doesnt help then the sound on the motherobard might be defunct.
Old 9th November, 2003, 01:37 AM

The Gigagbyte board sound was working previously under WinXP, so it's a problem with 98. I guess I will have to reinstall - just a royal pain in this case. ANy comments about reloading over the top?

DW
Old 9th November, 2003, 02:49 AM
AOA Staff

You should be ok to reinstall 'over the top'.

It is always best to reinstall after a change of mobo.