AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st November, 2003, 05:18 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

New Hdd - Strange problem

Just installed a brand new hdd. fdisked and formatted as usual and the disk is seen properly.

The problem is that looking at the disk it appears to have a recycled folder on it with a file size of 736 kB. I've tried deleting it but it won't let me. ANyone know what's going on?? There's one file in it called info which I can't delete.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st November, 2003, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod
Just installed a brand new hdd. fdisked and formatted as usual and the disk is seen properly.

The problem is that looking at the disk it appears to have a recycled folder on it with a file size of 736 kB. I've tried deleting it but it won't let me. ANyone know what's going on?? There's one file in it called info which I can't delete.

Thanks in advance.
Just a stab in the dark but do you have any undelete utilities installed? Im thinking the likes of norton "protected" recycle bin etc. This might want to make stuff that on a new drive it might have problems with. As I said... stab in the dark
Old 1st November, 2003, 07:03 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Which OS and which file system? I haven't been able to reproduce this on XP Pro, but then again, I don't know what process you used.
Old 2nd November, 2003, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Which OS and which file system? I haven't been able to reproduce this on XP Pro, but then again, I don't know what process you used.
W2K SP4 updated at end of last week.

Norton System works 2003, fully updated.

Fat 32, Maxtor DM8 40 GB
Old 2nd November, 2003, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod
W2K SP4 updated at end of last week.

Norton System works 2003, fully updated.

Fat 32, Maxtor DM8 40 GB
Im still liking my theory with norton. Try un-installing norton, re-format the disk and see what you get?
Old 2nd November, 2003, 01:24 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

What happens when you try to delete it? If you get a message about it being in use, then it suggests that a process (part of norton perhaps?) is holding it open.
Old 2nd November, 2003, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
What happens when you try to delete it? If you get a message about it being in use, then it suggests that a process (part of norton perhaps?) is holding it open.
I'm getting a file sharing violation message. May be in use etc. List of what's running attached

There is actually another issue I just noticed. It's only showing as having total space of about 32 Gb, not 40. I've run fdisk and format again since last night. The Recycled Folder again appears, the size slioghtly different at 836K. Try to delete the file and the sharing violation comes up. It also creates a file called "Info2" in the folder which can be deleted. That however creates a file called DH3, do it again and it creates DH4 and so on. These can be deleted permanently

Mercutio, I would uninstall Norton but the updates just take too long on Dial up. I've disabled clean sweep etc but the problems still there. I'll have a poke about though to see if I can find where they're stored.

Thanks for the suggestions guys
Attached Thumbnails
New Hdd - Strange problem-processes.jpg  
Old 3rd November, 2003, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod
I'm getting a file sharing violation message. May be in use etc. List of what's running attached

There is actually another issue I just noticed. It's only showing as having total space of about 32 Gb, not 40. I've run fdisk and format again since last night. The Recycled Folder again appears, the size slioghtly different at 836K. Try to delete the file and the sharing violation comes up. It also creates a file called "Info2" in the folder which can be deleted. That however creates a file called DH3, do it again and it creates DH4 and so on. These can be deleted permanently

Mercutio, I would uninstall Norton but the updates just take too long on Dial up. I've disabled clean sweep etc but the problems still there. I'll have a poke about though to see if I can find where they're stored.

Thanks for the suggestions guys
Ahh... fair do`s... in that case try turning off the norton protection? Just an idea and something you've probably tried but if not give that a crack.
Old 3rd November, 2003, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod
There is actually another issue I just noticed. It's only showing as having total space of about 32 Gb, not 40.
Found the anwser to this
Old 4th November, 2003, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercutioUK
Im still liking my theory with norton. Try un-installing norton, re-format the disk and see what you get?
And I'm thinking your theory is looking better all the time

I put the drive into my other machine last night and no issues. Did a bit of looking about on google and there seems to be a few problems associated with Norton creating its own protected recycle bin on new drives. Thing is I've already disabled it, or at least clicked the button to disable it.

What with this, and Norton not liking Partition manager 7 I'm thinking of uninstalling and going to Zonealarm and AVG.
Old 4th November, 2003, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod
And I'm thinking your theory is looking better all the time

I put the drive into my other machine last night and no issues. Did a bit of looking about on google and there seems to be a few problems associated with Norton creating its own protected recycle bin on new drives. Thing is I've already disabled it, or at least clicked the button to disable it.

What with this, and Norton not liking Partition manager 7 I'm thinking of uninstalling and going to Zonealarm and AVG.
I've usually been a PC-Cillin user, not caused me any problems so far and doesnt insist on shouting about how good it is when it updates virus definitions etc
Zonealarm is a perfectly good personal firewall... I have zonealarm built into my router and the whole MS blast thing just washed straight over me... didnt have the slightest issue with it