AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 21st November, 2003, 12:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to marcofra2000

Cool How to connect a receiver to my PC

I bought this new sound system Onkyo HT-S760 and I want to conect it to my PC, but don't know how.
Here is a pic of the receiver from the back
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...i=4&display=XL

My sound card is a SB Audigy 2. Note that I have an All In Wonder Radeon 9800 pro and that makes it probably a little hard cause In order to hear a sound from my antenna connected to my 3d card I have a cable going from my 3d card to the Line IN in my 3d card but there are also some weird cables from it too that might help but don't know hoe.
2x512 Ballistix DDR PC-3200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts
Onkyo HT-S760, 750 Watts.

Opinions are like butts, we all have them and they all stink at one time or another. But when people's butts stink we don't go around cleaning them, so please don't tell people that their opinions stink.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2003, 04:29 AM

Cool Spdif

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcofra2000
I bought this new sound system Onkyo HT-S760 and I want to conect it to my PC, but don't know how.
Here is a pic of the receiver from the back
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...i=4&display=XL

My sound card is a SB Audigy 2. Note that I have an All In Wonder Radeon 9800 pro and that makes it probably a little hard cause In order to hear a sound from my antenna connected to my 3d card I have a cable going from my 3d card to the Line IN in my 3d card but there are also some weird cables from it too that might help but don't know hoe.
I believe your SB Audigy 2 has a SPDIF output. It looks like a standard RCA outlet. It will plug into the DIGITAL INPUT coaxial on the Onkyo back. You would then have digital audio going into the reciever.
Old 21st November, 2003, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadecamp
I believe your SB Audigy 2 has a SPDIF output. It looks like a standard RCA outlet. It will plug into the DIGITAL INPUT coaxial on the Onkyo back. You would then have digital audio going into the reciever.
Well, this is how it looks from the back: javascriptopUpWindow('/products/gallery/viewpic.asp?pic=38&productfamilyid=8', 760, 530 )

Or go here http://soundblaster.com/products/Aud...ro/gallery.asp
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Opinions are like butts, we all have them and they all stink at one time or another. But when people's butts stink we don't go around cleaning them, so please don't tell people that their opinions stink.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2003, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Well, this is how it looks from the back: javascriptopUpWindow('/products/gallery/viewpic.asp?pic=38&productfamilyid=8', 760, 530 )

Or go here http://soundblaster.com/products/Aud...ro/gallery.asp

I can't tell from the picture. Is it the platnum pro or the or just the platinum?
Old 21st November, 2003, 05:09 AM

Quote:
I can't tell from the picture. Is it the platnum pro or the or just the platinum?
It's none of those, is the normal one. OH but click on the picture for a big view
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Old 21st November, 2003, 05:21 AM

Quote:
It's none of those, is the normal one. OH but click on the picture for a big view
Is this the one:

http://us.creative.com/products/prod...y=&product=149
Old 21st November, 2003, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Yes
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Old 21st November, 2003, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Yes
Then it is the larger round one next to the firewire port.

Good luck
Old 21st November, 2003, 05:30 AM

From SB page:
http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=37,E=0000000000016942332,K=4356,Sxi=0,Case=obj (11418),VARSET=centric:,Kb=creative_cli_us

Solution ID # 11418

Using the SPDIF OUT connector

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keywords SPDIF, DAT, Mini Disc, Dolby Digital, AC-3, CT 4760, CT 4770, 483x, Digital I/O module
Applies to Sound Blaster Live! range, Sound Blaster Audigy range

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem
I want to know how to use the SP/DIF OUT outputs on my Sound Blaster Live!/Audigy Platinum.

Our Advice
How do I know the SP/DIF output is active? / How do I know if the Optical - (TOSLink) or the RCA - SP/DIF output is active?
The SP/DIF outputs on the Live! Drive, the Audigy Drive and any additional Digital I/O module/card are active by default. There are only three settings that could interfere with the functionality of the interface:

SP/DIF Bypass (Only applicable for Platinum versions)
SP/DIF Bypass must be set to default (disabled). Otherwise, no signal will be available on the digital output. This setting can be found in Start - Settings - Control Panel - AudioHQ - Device Controls.
Sample rate of the outgoing signal (only applicable for Audigy and later cards)
When connecting to Home Entertainment equipment, ensure the output sample rate of the card is set to a value supported by the device it is connected to (i.e. Output set to 96 kHz, Amp only capable of 48 kHz input - no signal; if in doubt, please contact the manufacturer of the equipment in question). This setting can be found in Start - Settings - Control Panel - AudioHQ - Device Controls
Connecting headphones to the Live! / Audigy Drive while "Mute speakers when using headphones" is active
When connecting a headphone to the Live! / Audigy Drive while Mute speakers when using headphones (Start - Settings - Control Panel - AudioHQ - Device Controls) is active, all outputs of the card will be muted.

How to achieve AC-3/Dolby Digital 5.1 channel sound:

The SP/DIF output can also be used to pass an un-decoded AC-3 bitstream to an external Dolby Digital decoder.

For more information follow this link.

Note for connection to DAT, Minidisc and other devices featuring an SP/DIF interface :

When using the RCA SP/DIF interface to connect to other devices, it is highly recommended to use a 75 Ohm coaxial cable, especially when bridging bigger distances. If the device to connect to is nearby, a standard RCA audio cable will do under most circumstances. However, when encountering difficulties (i.e. signal loss), please use a cable adhering to the specifications above.
Old 21st November, 2003, 06:04 AM

Quote:
From SB page:
http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=37,E=0000000000016942332,K=4356,Sxi=0,Case=obj (11418),VARSET=centric:,Kb=creative_cli_us

Solution ID # 11418

Using the SPDIF OUT connector

Keywords SPDIF, DAT, Mini Disc, Dolby Digital, AC-3, CT 4760, CT 4770, 483x, Digital I/O module
Applies to Sound Blaster Live! range, Sound Blaster Audigy range

Problem
I want to know how to use the SP/DIF OUT outputs on my Sound Blaster Live!/Audigy Platinum.

Our Advice
How do I know the SP/DIF output is active? / How do I know if the Optical - (TOSLink) or the RCA - SP/DIF output is active?
The SP/DIF outputs on the Live! Drive, the Audigy Drive and any additional Digital I/O module/card are active by default. There are only three settings that could interfere with the functionality of the interface:

SP/DIF Bypass (Only applicable for Platinum versions)
SP/DIF Bypass must be set to default (disabled). Otherwise, no signal will be available on the digital output. This setting can be found in Start - Settings - Control Panel - AudioHQ - Device Controls.
Sample rate of the outgoing signal (only applicable for Audigy and later cards)
When connecting to Home Entertainment equipment, ensure the output sample rate of the card is set to a value supported by the device it is connected to (i.e. Output set to 96 kHz, Amp only capable of 48 kHz input - no signal; if in doubt, please contact the manufacturer of the equipment in question). This setting can be found in Start - Settings - Control Panel - AudioHQ - Device Controls
Connecting headphones to the Live! / Audigy Drive while "Mute speakers when using headphones" is active
When connecting a headphone to the Live! / Audigy Drive while Mute speakers when using headphones (Start - Settings - Control Panel - AudioHQ - Device Controls) is active, all outputs of the card will be muted.

How to achieve AC-3/Dolby Digital 5.1 channel sound:

The SP/DIF output can also be used to pass an un-decoded AC-3 bitstream to an external Dolby Digital decoder.

For more information follow this link.

Note for connection to DAT, Minidisc and other devices featuring an SP/DIF interface :

When using the RCA SP/DIF interface to connect to other devices, it is highly recommended to use a 75 Ohm coaxial cable, especially when bridging bigger distances. If the device to connect to is nearby, a standard RCA audio cable will do under most circumstances. However, when encountering difficulties (i.e. signal loss), please use a cable adhering to the specifications above.
No luck, tried all but nothing, oh and the connection where you told me to put it, it is actualy not an RCA plug, is just another minijack plug. I grab my manual for the sound card and it said that I need a minijack to SPDIF connection.
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Old 21st November, 2003, 06:28 AM

Wait a minute, those an normal RCA cable is the same as a Coaxil cable?
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Old 21st November, 2003, 06:32 AM

Quote:
No luck, tried all but nothing, oh and the connection where you told me to put it, it is actualy not an RCA plug, is just another minijack plug. I grab my manual for the sound card and it said that I need a minijack to SPDIF connection.
Sorry, my bad. Here is a better page. Click on the first picture and it calls for a minijack to DIN cable and it is the farthest from the FW port.

http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/u...rs_ext_dev.htm
Old 21st November, 2003, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Sorry, my bad. Here is a better page. Click on the first picture and it calls for a minijack to DIN cable and it is the farthest from the FW port.

http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/u...rs_ext_dev.htm
Thankyou, oh but I got so confused now. OK, is RCA, COAXIAL, and SPDIF the same thing or are they different or what makes the difference in those 3.
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Old 21st November, 2003, 08:25 PM

OK, I just found out that my motherbard has an optical connection and my motherboard is an NForce 2 mobo with soundstorm. I want to know is what will give me the better sound:

A: Buying a Minijack to Coaxial connection and it would connect to my sound card.

B. Buying an Optical cable and connect it to my NForce 2 onboard sound.
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Old 22nd November, 2003, 01:05 AM

Quote:
OK, I just found out that my motherbard has an optical connection and my motherboard is an NForce 2 mobo with soundstorm. I want to know is what will give me the better sound:

A: Buying a Minijack to Coaxial connection and it would connect to my sound card.

B. Buying an Optical cable and connect it to my NForce 2 onboard sound.
A. would probably be cheaper. Using coaxial cable would only be required for long runs, say 25 ft or more. Otherwise, for short runs a good RCA plug would do fine.

B. would be the best quality but most boards must have an adapter plugged into the motherboard with the optical outlet screwed on the back. I will look up your board and get back to you on that. Also, you may not be able to use the on-board sound and the SB Audigy at the same time, but the optical output may be separate.

What is your motherboard brand and model?
Old 22nd November, 2003, 01:20 AM

Quote:
A. would probably be cheaper. Using coaxial cable would only be required for long runs, say 25 ft or more. Otherwise, for short runs a good RCA plug would do fine.

B. would be the best quality but most boards must have an adapter plugged into the motherboard with the optical outlet screwed on the back. I will look up your board and get back to you on that. Also, you may not be able to use the on-board sound and the SB Audigy at the same time, but the optical output may be separate.

What is your motherboard brand and model?
My mobo is an ABIT NF7-S. You are right, I won't be able to use my sound card, but what the heck . So the best quality sound would be?
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Old 22nd November, 2003, 01:49 AM

Quote:
My mobo is an ABIT NF7-S. You are right, I won't be able to use my sound card, but what the heck . So the best quality sound would be?
Looks like a killer board. I would use the optical port and the on board sound for sure. It is probably better than the Augidy anyway. Your port is built in. Go for it.

Good luck.
Old 22nd November, 2003, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Looks like a killer board. I would use the optical port and the on board sound for sure. It is probably better than the Augidy anyway. Your port is built in. Go for it.

Good luck.
Awsome, gonna buy an optical cable this saturday and try it. Thanks for helping me so much dadecamp. Cheers and aplause (sp?) for him
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Old 23rd November, 2003, 04:05 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Looks like I need to swing by and help ya out with this uh?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd November, 2003, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Looks like I need to swing by and help ya out with this uh?
Rob
LOL For some reason after reading that I just laugh so hard, it kinda sounded funny from all the things we gone through. Well I actualy got it running eerrrr............. booming, but I have to select CD in my Onkyo receiver in order for it to work and selecting something else won't do any sound so I don't know if there is a diference on sound quality, but thanks for asking Rob, I apreciate your help, you enlighten me. But if you want to come over and try the system sure you can .
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts