AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th December, 2003, 01:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Ah geese Big Red,
Your opinions are dangerous and if allowed to spread....I can see this isn't going to work...

Th Lord came down to me from on high and said unto to me of Big Reds post.".....

OK, I screwed up!! I'm almost sorry!! But only if your correct about the back up... I don't believe your are, prove it! ":O}
/me never backs down from a challenge

Ok Ive been wading through copyright law and court reports for the past 6 hours and I can prove dan wrong! Wunderbar!

To start with, the summary of the Digital Mellennium Copyright Act (DMCA) can be found here.
http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf
Be warned, Reading that causes severe head pains in form of a headache
After reading all this the DMCA seems like a nazi document intended to keep an iron fist over copyrighted works. However there are several holes in it and it clearly says in the document that making copies of copyrighted works qualifies under Fair Use under the appropriate circumstances.

Ohh kinda vague eh? I went in search of somthing that defined the "appropriate circumstances" so I started at the orginal copyright law.
http://www.copyright.gov/
In US copyright law it basically states that you can copy anything you want for use in a library and for educational purposes. I couldnt find anything in there about personal backups mostly because that document is from the 80's.

I came across this document on the "Association of Research Libraries" website.
http://www.arl.org/info/frn/copy/fairuse.html
Heres whats intresting:
Quote:
Without infringing copyright, the public has a right to expect:
  • to read, listen to, or view publicly marketed copyrighted material privately, on site or remotely;
  • to browse through publicly marketed copyrighted material;
  • to experiment with variations of copyrighted material for fair use purposes, while preserving the integrity of the original;
  • to make or have made for them a first generation copy for personal use of an article or other small part of a publicly marketed copyrighted work or a work in a library's collection for such purpose as study, scholarship, or research; and
  • to make transitory copies if ephemeral or incidental to a lawful use and if retained only temporarily.
Ahh getting somewhere now. A defination of fair use. But now according to the DMCA "The act of circumventing a technological measure in order to gain access to copyrighted works il prohibited" Which means bypassing encrypted or DVD scrambling techniques to make a copy of a movie.

But Also under the DMCA circumvention devices (aka things that allow copying of copyrighted works for Fair Use) are legal. That means things like VCR's, cd-rw's, and dvd writers. DVD-X copy was ruled that it qualifies as a circumvention device to allow fair use copies of DVD's

But there is an ongoing battle between movie industries and 321 Studios's DVD-X copy software. its a mixed bag at the moment because courts are still ruling on it. There are contradictary statements in the DMCA involving DVD copying. Like said before Bypassing encryption is illegal but Circumvention devices to allow copying for fair use are legal.

No judge has orderd the removal of 321 studios software from the market yet. The software isnt illegal and qualifies under fair use.

The part about bypassing encryption on the DMCA is getting a 2nd look through currently:
http://news.com.com/2100-1023_3-966525.html?tag=st_rn

You are still allowed 1 backup copy of a copyrighted movie/software. To preserve your owership of the licence.
Old 8th December, 2003, 03:32 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

"...to make or have made for them a first generation copy for personal use..."
Now that's very interesting.
Any copy made from the original is considered a first generation copy. To me, this means I can be paranoide and have as many copies in my house as I want, provided they are for my household use only.
Old 8th December, 2003, 07:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
"...to make or have made for them a first generation copy for personal use..."
Now that's very interesting.
Any copy made from the original is considered a first generation copy. To me, this means I can be paranoide and have as many copies in my house as I want, provided they are for my household use only.
You can as long as only one copy is in use at any given time and only you are using them.
Only one licence can be in use by only one person. Like all those licence agreements and dislamers say... You dont actually own the movie/game/cd you just bought the licence to use/view it
Old 13th December, 2003, 02:16 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
As far as backups go, I think it is wrong that you can't backup a game cd, because they have copy protection.

Recently I had to buy a replacement game because one of the install cds from my first copy was scratched.
I have ruined several game CDs. Most publishers will send you a new CD (or set of CDs) for $5 including postage. It may save you some money.

I have sent Lucas Arts a scratched CD and $5 and gotten a full retail product in return.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th December, 2003, 04:19 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
...I have sent Lucas Arts a scratched CD and $5 and gotten a full retail product in return.
If everyone was consistently that good, I would be very happy. The Gaming/SW industry understands the risks of piracy, and their response is to be accomodative of paying customers. I once thought I had a bad game CD many years ago right out of the box. When I called tech support, within a few minutes, they offered to send me a new CD... no proof, no returning merchandise... nothing. Within a week, I had a replacement sent to me.

More recently, I had a DVD go bad. I called their customer service number, and was told I would have to send them $15 for a replacement!!
NOT!!! I am backing up all of my children's DVDs. It will take me many weeks, but I'm not paying the sale price of a DVD just to get a replacement.
Old 14th December, 2003, 03:00 PM
AOA Staff

In an ideal world all CDs and DVDs would be enclosed in a cassette. Years ago many optical discs were. Of course this would make discs more expensive to produce which must be why this idea was abandoned.
Old 10th May, 2004, 03:58 PM

Doesnt DVD+R support Dual layer, wheras DVD-R is single layer only?
Old 10th May, 2004, 08:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Big Red! I don't know how your post escaped me for so long!! Thank you very much! I've long wanted a definitive answer to this question!!

You seem to have supplied it for me!! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th May, 2004, 08:24 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_of_Fire
Doesnt DVD+R support Dual layer, wheras DVD-R is single layer only?
Nope... At the present time, both only support single layer burning... In the near future, there will be dual layer burners available. I believe these will be an 'upgrade' on DVD+R.